考点一、情态动词基本含义的考查 情态动词的基本含义，一直是高考考查的重要内容。例如： 1. The fire spread through the hotel very quickly but everyone______get out. A. had to was able to D. could 2. When can I come for the
photos? I need them tomorrow afternoon. —They______be ready by 12:00. A. can B. should C. might D. need 二、情态动词表示推测的考查 对情态动词表示推测的用法，是高考考查情态动词的一个重要方面。例如： 1. Sorry, I‘m late. I______have turned off the alarm clock and gone back to sleep again . A. might B. should C. can D. will 2. My sister met him at the Grand Theatre yesterday afternoon,so he______your lecture. A. couldn‘t have attended C. mustn‘t have attended A. can B. should C. may B. needn‘t have attended D. shouldn‘t have attended D. must B. would C.
3.Mr Bush is on time for everything. How______it be that he was late for the opening ceremony? 4.I heard they went skiing in the mountains last winter? —It______true because there was little snow there. A. may not be C. couldn’t be B. won’t be D. mustn’t be
分析：高考对表示推测的情态动词集中在 must, can, could, may, might 上，准确掌握它们使用的场合，是解决 问题的关键。 Must 用于肯定陈述句， 表示肯定推测； can, could 用于疑问或否定陈述句， 表示可能性推测； may, might 用于陈述句，表示可能性推测；用于否定陈述句中，can’t （不可能）的语气比 may not（可能不）强。此外，还 要注意有对过去和对现在两种情况的推测,对过去推测用情态动词+have done ，对现在推测用情态动词+ 动词原形。 三、情态动词表示虚拟的考查 情态动词＋have+过去分词表示与过去事实上相反的情况，也是高考单项选择题涉及到情态动词的一个重要方 面。 1. There was a lot of fun at yesterday’s party. You______come, but why didn ’t you? A. must have C. need have A. mustn’t leave C. couldn’t have left A. shouldn’t eat C. shouldn’t have eaten B. should D. ought to have B. shouldn’t have left D. needn’t leave B. mustn’t have eaten D. mustn’t eat
2.I was really anxious about you. You______home without a word.(NMET2001,33)
3.Oh, I‘m not feeling well in the stomach. I______so much fried chicken just now.
分析：高考对情态动词表示虚拟‘用法，表示与过去事实相反的情况。近几年高考，主要侧重 should （not） have done 这一句式上，表示本来不该做却做了或本来该做却未做的事，在复习时，还应关注其它几种虚拟形式， 如 need (not)have done 表示本来需要做而未做或本来不需要而做的事等等，以做到有备无患。 考点四、情态动词与助动词混合考查 1.Tom ,you didn’t come to the party last night? —I______, but I suddenly remembered I had homework to do . A. had to B. didn’t C. was going to D. wouldn’t
2.Your phone number again? I______quite catch it . —It’s 86184867. A. didn’t 典题链接 【示例 1】—I’ve taken someone else’s green sweater by mistake. —It ______ Harry’s.He always wears green. A.has to be B.will be C.mustn’t be D.could be 【示例 2】—Mum，I’ve been studying English since 8 o’clock.______ I go out and play with Tom for a while? —No，I’m afraid not.Besides，it’s raining outside now. A.Can’t B.Wouldn’t C.May not D.Won’t B. couldn’t C. don’t D. can’t
【示例 3】—Excuse me，but I want to use your computer to type a report. —You ______ have my computer if you don’t take care of it. A.shan’t B.might not C.needn’t D.shouldn’t You shall have a copy if the book is published. 书一出来你就会得到一本。 You shall get the answer right this afternoon. The enemy shall be wiped out.敌人一定会被消灭。 【示例 4】I often see lights in that empty house. Do you think I ______ report it to the police? A.should B.may C.will D.can
【示例 5】Children under 12 years of age in that country ______ be under adult supervision when in a public library. A.must 答案：A 【示例 6】—Catherine, I have cleaned the room for you. —Thanks. You ______ it. I could manage it myself. A.needn’t do 思维升级 “情态动词＋have＋过去分词 ”结构是情态动词专项考查的难点和重点 （1）must have done “过去一定做了某事” （2）can’t/couldn’t have done “过去不可能做了某事” （3）may/might have done “过去可能做了某事” （4）needn’t have done “过去本来没有必要做而做了某事” （5）could have done “过去本来能够做某事而没有做” （6）should/ought to have done “过去本来应该做某事而没有做” （7）shouldn’t/oughtn’t to have done “过去本来不应该做某事而做了” 【示例 7】I have lost one of my gloves. I _____ it somewhere. A.must drop 情态动词考点 ◆典型陷阱题分析◆ B.must have dropped C.must be dropping D.must have been dropped B.needn’t have done C.mustn’t do D.shouldn’t have done B.may C.can D.need
1. “Mike is often absent from class.” “Tell him he _____ answer for it if he goes on behaving like that.” A. shall B. will C. would D. can shall 用作情态动词主要有以下两个用法： (1) 用于疑问句中征求意见。如： Shall I help you? 要不要我帮帮你? Shall I open the window? 要我把窗子打开吗？ (2) 用于陈述句中表示允诺、告诫、警告、威胁、命令、规定、必然性等(可用于各类人称)。如： You shall suffer for this. 你会为此事吃苦头的。(表威胁) Each competitor shall wear a number. 每个参赛者要戴一个号码。(表规定) You shall hear everything as soon as you come. 你一来就可听到所有情况了。(表允诺) 请做以下试题： (1) “I promise that she _____ get a nice present on her birthday.” “Will it be a great surprise to her?” A. should A. cannot C. mustn’t A. must C. need B. must B. shouldn’t D. needn’t B. can D. may C. would D. shall 2. You _______ pay too much attention to your reading skill, as it is so important.
3. ―Is John coming by train?‖ ―He should, but he _____ not. He likes driving his car.‖
4. ―I heard they went skiing in the mountains last winter.‖ ―It ____ true because there was little snow there.‖ A. may not be B. won‘t be C. couldn‘t be D. mustn‘t be 5. ―Do you think he is lazy?‖ ―I _____ so once, but I don‘t now.‖ A. may have thought B. can have thought C. may think D. might think 请看类例： Their answers are exactly the same — one of them ______ from the other. A. must copy B. must have copied C. should copy D. should have copied 6. You _____ be right, but I don‘t think you are. A. can B. could C. must D. should
1. ―I thought you wouldn‘t mind.‖ ―Well, as a matter of fact I don‘t, but you _____ me first.‖ A. should ask B. should have asked C. must ask D. must have asked 2. ―I called you yesterday. A woman answered, but I didn‘t recognize her voice.‖ ―Oh, it _____ my aunt Jean.‖ A. must be B. must have been C. might be D. can have been 3. That car nearly hit me; I ______. A. might be killed B. might have been killed C. may be killed D. may been killed 4. It‘s a very kind offer, but I really _____ accept it.
A. mustn‘t B. needn‘t C. can‘t D. don‘t 5. The police still haven‘t found her, but they‘re doing all they _____. A. may B. can C. must D. will 6. You _____ practise the drums while the baby is sleeping. A. needn‘t B. mightn‘t C. mustn‘t D. won‘t 7. You _____ him the news; he knew it already. A. needn‘t tell B. needn‘t have told C. mightn‘t tell D. mightn‘t have told 8. As she‘s not here, I suppose she _____ home. A. must go B. must have gone C. might go D. might be going 9. Are you still here? You ______ home hours ago. A. should go B. should have gone C. might go D. may have gone 10. ―I called you yesterday. A woman answered, but I didn‘t recognize her voice.‖ ―Oh, it _____ my aunt Jean.‖ A. must be B. must have been C. might be D. can have been 11. I _______ have met him a long time ago. Both his name and face are very familiar. A. may B. can C. would D. should 13. ―Shall we go shopping?‖ ―Sorry, we _______ buy anything now because none of the shops are open.‖ A. mustn‘t B. needn‘t C. can‘t D. shouldn‘t 14. They often go to the restaurants for meals. They _____ be very poor. A. mustn‘t B. can‘t C. may not D. needn‘t 15. I didn‘t see her in the meeting room this morning. She ______ have spoken at the meeting. A. mustn‘t B. shouldn‘t C. needn‘t D. couldn‘t 17. He ______ the test again, in which case, his mother will be very disappointed. A. might fail B. must have failed C. should fail D. could have failed 18. ―Why didn‘t she come to the meeting yesterday?‖ ―I‘m not so sure. She ______ ill.‖ A. should be B. should have been C. must be D. might have been 19. Why did you just sit and watch? You _______ me. A. could help B. should help C. could have helped D. must have helped 20. ―You ______ your teacher for help. He is kind-hearted.‖ ―Yes. A whole day _______.‖
A. can ask, will waste B. must have asked, had wasted C. could have asked, was wasted D. shouldn‘t have asked, would be wasted 21. ―Is there a flight to London this evening?‖ ―There _______ be. I‘ll phone the airport and find it out.‖ A. must B. might C. would D. can 22. ―Show me your permit, please.‖ ―Oh, it‘s not in my pocket. It ______.‖ A. might fall out B. could fall out C. should have fallen out D. must have fallen out 23. ―Look at these tracks. It _______ be a wolf.‖ ―Don‘t be so sure. I think it _______ be a fox.‖ A. must; could B. may; might C. need; must D. could; need 25. ―Did Jim come?‖ ―I don‘t know. He _______ while I was out.‖ A. might have come B. might come C. mush have come D. should have come
1. (2014 年高考英语安徽卷) I ______ to my cousin‘s birthday party last night, but I was not available A. went B. had gone C. would go D. would have gone 2. (2014 年高考英语北京卷) If we ______ a table earlier, we couldn‘t be standing here in a queue. A. have booked B. booked C. book D. had booked 3. (2014 年高考英语福建卷) —Do you think George has passed the driving test? —No. If so , he _____his car to our college yesterday. A. would drive B. drove C. would have driven D. had driven 4. (2014 年高考英语江苏卷) I should not have laughed if I ______ you were serious. A. thought B. would think C. had thought D. have thought 5. (2014 年高考英语陕西卷). My mom suggests that we ______ eat out for a change this weekend. A. should B. might C. could D. would 6. (2014 年高考英语天津卷) If he had spent more time practicing English before, he ______ able to speak it much better now A. will be B. would be C has been D. would have been 7. (2013 年高考英语浙江卷) Eye doctors recommend that a child‘s first eye exam _____ at the age of six months old. A. was B. be C. were D. is 8. (2013 年高考英语重庆卷) 29. — It rained cats and dogs this morning. I'm glad we took an umbrella. — Yeah, we would have got wet all over if we ______. A. hadn't B. haven't C. didn't D. don't 9. (2013 年高考英语陕西卷) 21. The children ______ lost in the woods; otherwise, they would have been at the lakeside camp as scheduled. A . must have got B. must get C. should have got D. should get 【拓展】情态动词表示对过去情况的推测： should have done 本应做但没做； shouldn‘t have done 本不该做但做了； need have done 本来有必要做但没做； needn‘t have done 本来没必要做但做了； may/might have done 可能做过； must have done 肯定做过； can‘t/couldn‘t have done 不可能做过。 10. (2013 年高考英语新课标 II) 6. Since nobody gave him any help, he ______ have done the research on his own. A. can B. must C. would D. need 11. (2013 年高考英语江西卷) 29.When I was a child, I ______ watch TV whenever I wanted to. A. should B. could C. must D. need 12. (2013 年高考英语辽宁卷) 31. Harry is feeling uncomfortable. He ______ too much at the party last night. A. could drink B. should drink C. would have D. must have drunk 13. (2013 年高考英语四川卷) 5. —Why are your eyes so red? You _______ have slept well last night.
—Yeah, I stayed up late writing a report. A. can‘t B. mustn‘t C. needn‘t D. won‘t 14. (2013 年高考英语天津卷) 9. No one ______ be more generous; he has a heart of gold. A. could B. must C. dare D. need 15. (2013 年高考英语安徽卷) 34. It ______ be the vocabulary that caused you the problem in the exercise because you know a lot of words. A. may B. couldn‘t C. should D. needn‘t 16. (2013 年高考英语北京卷) 35. --- You needn‘t take an umbrella. It isn‘t going to rain. --- Well, I don‘t know. It ______ do. A. might B. need C. would D. should 17. (2013 年高考英语湖南卷)32．He ________ sleep, although he tried to when he got on such a hunt for an idea until he had caught it. A．wouldn't B．shouldn't C．couldn't D．mustn't 【拓展】情态动词 can 可表示能力、许可、可能性。如： （1）Some of us can use the computer now , but we couldn't ten yea rs ago. （表能力） （2）I thought the story could not be true（表可能性） （3）Can/Could I go now? （表许可，常用于口语中） 18. (2013 年高考英语新课标 I) 29. The door ________ open, no matter how hard she pushed. A. shouldn‘t B. cou ldn‘t C. wouldn‘t D. mightn‘t 19. (2013 年高考英语浙江卷) 3. I ______ myself more ---- it was a perfect day. A. shouldn‘t have enjoyed B. needn‘t have enjoyed C. wouldn‘t have enjoyed D. couldn‘t have enjoyed 【拓展】can‘t/couldn‘t have done.. 表否定推断，不可能做了什么事 The measurement couldn‘t have been wrong. 测量不可能出错了。 He can't have taken it home. 他不可能把它带回家了。 20. (2 013 年高考 英语重庆卷) 26. — What are you doing this Saturday? — I'm not sure, but I ______ go to the Rolling Stones concert A. must B. would C. should D. might 【2012 江西卷】22．We have bought so much food now that Suzie won‘t be with us for dinner. A．may not A. have had B．needn‘t B. had had C．can‘t C. have D．mustn‘t D. had 【[2012 湖南]29. Sorry, I am too busy now. If I ____ time, I would certainly go for an outing with you. 【2012 重庆卷】25.-____you interrupt now? Can‘t you see I‘m on the phone? -Sorry Sir, but it‘s urgent. A. Can A. China. A. must A. was A. won‘t B. might B. had been B. can‘t C. can C. can C. should be D. will B. might face D. must have faced B. were C. has been D. had been D. would be D. should 【2012 陕西卷】 17. If may car _________more reliable, I would have driven to Lhasa instead of flying last summer. 【2012 陕西卷】23.I______ thank you too much for all your help to my son while we were away from home. 【2012 北京卷】33. We ______ the difficulty together, but why didn‘t you tell me? A. should face C. could have faced A. is might B. Should B. could C. Must C. shall D. Would wear school uniform while at school. D. will 【2012 辽宁卷】24. One of our rules is that every student
【2012 四川卷】19. I got close enough to hear them speaking Chinese, and I said ―Ni Hao ‖ just as I ____ do in
【2012 北京卷】35. Don‘t handle the vase as if it ____ made of steel. 【2012 全国 II】17. I‘m going to Europe on vacation together with John if I _______ find the money.
D. need B. wouldn‘t offer B. mustn‘t C. hasn‘t offered C. needn‘t D. hadn‘t offered D. wouldn‘t
15. 【2012 天津卷】 We wouldn‘t have called a taxi yesterday if Harold __________us a ride home. A. didn‘t offer A. couldn‘t 【2012 全国新课程】30. I comes by my house. A. couldn't C. shouldn't A. haven‘t made C. didn‘t make yesterday. A. visited B. had visited C. would visit 【2012 江苏卷】35.--Happy birthday! ----Thank you!It‘s the best present I ____ for. A.should have wished C.may have wished 【考点】考查情态动词的用法。 【2012 江苏卷】28.Days later, my brother called to say he was all right, but_______say where he was. A. mustn't B. shouldn't C. wouldn't D. mightn't 【2012 安徽卷】31. Grace doesn't want to move to New York because she thinks if she wouldn't be able to see her parents very often. A. lives B. would live C. having asked D. Were to live 【2011 全国卷,32】They have arrived at lunchtime but their flight was delayed. A.will A. can ——Don‘t worry. He A. must not ——I wish they A. weren‘t A. studied A. had come A. mustn‘t B. need not B.can B. should C.must C. must D.should D. may 【2011 全国卷 II,8】If you smoke, please go outside. there, she B.must have wished D.could have wished D. would have visited B. mustn't D. needn't B. wouldn‘t make D. hadn‘t made more places of interest 8【2012 天津卷】 It‘s quite warm here; we __________turn the heating on yet. use a clock to wake me up because at six o'clock each morning the train
【2012 山东卷】30. If we _______ adequate preparations, the conference wouldn‘t have be en so successful.
【2012 福建卷】31. We lost our way in that small village, otherwise we________
【2011 北京卷,24】——I don‘t really like James. Why did you invite him? come. He said he wasn‘t certain what his plans were. C. would not D. might not
【2011 北京卷,28】——Where are the children? The dinner‘s going to be completely ruined. always late. B. hadn‘t been B. would study C. wouldn‘t be C. had studied D. wouldn‘t have been D. was studying D. would have come science, and not literature then, I would be able to give you more help.
【2011 北京卷,30】Maybe if I
【2011 天津卷,15】I ______ sooner but I didn‘t know that they were waiting for me. B. was coming B. won‘t C. mightn‘t C. would come D. shouldn‘t 【2011 上海春招,27】Some young people these days just ______ go out of their homes to contact the real world. 【2011 江苏卷,34】——I left my handbag on the train, but luckily someone gave it to a railway official. ——How unbelievable to get it back! I mean, someone ______ it. A. will have stolen B. might have stolen C. should have stolen D. must have stolen 【2011 福建卷,25】——Shall I inform him of the change of the schedule right now?
——I am afraid you A.will ——I A.attended B.must
, in case he comes late for the meeting . C.may D.can
【2011 福建卷,34】— —Pity you missed the lecture on nuclear pollution. it, but I was busy preparing for a job interview. B.had attended C.would sttend
D.would have attended
【2011 安徽卷, 26】——What do you think of store shopping in the future? ——Personally, I think it will exist along with home shopping but _____. A. will never replace C. will never be replaced B. would never replace D. would never be replaced
【2011 浙江卷,11】——How‘s your new babysitter? ——We ________ask for a better one. All our kids love her so much. A. should B. might C. mustn?t D. couldn‘t . might 可能，可以；mustn?t 禁止；couldn‘t 不可能。根据句意选 D。 【2011 四川卷,20】The police still haven‘t found the lost child, but they‘re doing all they A.can B.may C.must D.should 【2011 重庆卷,25】——Why didn‘t you come to Simon‘s party last night? —— I wanted to ,but my mom simply _________ not let me out so late at night. A. could B. might C. would B. didn‘t go D. should C. wouldn‘t go D. hadn‘t gone 【2011 陕西卷,22】I__________through that bitter period without your gene rous help. A. couldn‘t have gone 【2011 陕西卷,24】——Will you read me a story ,Mummy? ——OK. You________have one if you go to bed as soon as possible. A. might A. can A. can A. mustn‘t A.will put A. would be A. was busy 〖10 湖南〗You A. must 〖10 湖南〗If he A. followed A Must A. shouldn‘t 〖10 天津〗Mark B. must C. could D. shall C. must C. must C.won‘t D.needn‘t D. would have put D. must have been D. will be busy D. don‘t have to D. would follow D Will D. mustn‘t D. might D. will 【2011 湖南卷,28】No one ________ be compared with Yao Ming in playing basketball. B. need B. may B.can‘t B. will have put B. would have been B. is busy B. mustn‘t B. should follow B Can B. needn‘t 【2011 辽宁卷,21】If you go, at least wait until the storm is over.
【2011 江西卷 23】It _______ be the postman at the door. It‘s only six o‘clock. 【2011 江西卷 28】We _____John‘s name on the race list yesterday but for his recent injury. C. would put C. must be 〖10 安徽〗Jack described his father, who _______a brave boy many years ago, as a strong– willed man 〖10 安徽〗Bob would have helped us yesterday, but he-_ ______ C. had been busy. C. have to C. had followed C May C. couldn‘t buy a gift, but you can if you want to. my advice, he wouldn't have lost his job.
〖10 江西〗I have told you the truth. ______ I keep repeating it? 〖10 山东〗I_______ have watched that movie —it‘ll give me horrible dreams. have hurried. After driving at top speed, he arrived half an hour early.
A. needn‘t A. should tell —I‘m afraid not. A. Will A. can‘t
B. wouldn‘t B. tells C. told
C. mustn‘t D. had told
D. couldn‘t me about it, I would have gone with him.
〖10 天津〗John went to the hospital alone. If he 〖10 四川〗— ____ I take the book out? B. May B. needn‘t C. Must C. may not
〖10 全国Ⅰ 〗Just be patient .You ______ expect the world to change so soon . D. whether 〖10 江苏〗—I haven‘t got the reference book yet, but I‘ll have a test on the subject next month. —Don‘t worry. You______ have it by Friday. A. could A. focus No, you A. mightn‘t A. take A. can‘t A. can good morning. You A. might B. had taken B. mustn‘t B. shall C. must D. may C. would w_ focus D. had focused 〖10 江苏〗 George is going to talk about the geography of his country, but I‘d rather he_______ more on its culture. B. focused 〖10 陕西〗May I take this book out of the reading room? . You read it in here. B. won‘t C. took C. shouldn‘t B. will C. needn‘t D. have taken D .needn‘t C. must be Mrs. Peters. B. must C. would D. can . D. may --Ah, D. mustn‘t
〖10 陕西〗If we ___ the other road, we might have arrived here in time for the meeting. 〖10 全国Ⅱ 〗I‘m afraid Mr. Harding _________see you now. He‘s busy. 〖10辽宁〗Doctors say that exercise is important for health, but it _______ be regular exercise. 〖10北京〗---Good morning. I‘ve got an appointment with Miss Smith in the Personnel Department.
〖10北京〗--The weather has been very hot and dry. --Yes. If it had rained even a drop, things would be much better now! And my vegetables A. wouldn't die C. hadn't died A．would have been saved C．will be saved A. need ---Oh, you A. must 〖10 重庆〗You A. wouldn‘t B. can C. must B. didn't die D. wouldn't have died . B．had been saved D．was saved D. would
〖10 浙江〗Had I known about this computer program, a huge amount of time and energy
〖10 浙江〗 ―You ____ have a wrong number,‖ she said. ―There‘s no one of that name here.‖ 〖10 上海〗---Sorry, Professor Smith. I didn't finish the assignment yesterday. have done it as yesterday was the deadline. B. mustn't B. needn‘t C. should C. couldn‘t D. shouldn't D. mustn‘t park here! It‘s an emergency exit.
1．He ________ fatter but he eats too little. A．would become B．would have become 2．He ________ if he works hard for the people.
D．must have become
A．shall praise B．shall be praised C．will praise D．will be praised ．There was a lot of fun at yesterday's party.You ________ come ，but why didn't you? A．must have B．should C．need have D．ought to have 4．I was really anxious about you.You ________ home without a word. A．mustn't leave B．shouldn't have left C．couldn't have left D．needn't leave 5．—Must I go there right now? —No，you ________.You ________ go there before supper. A．mus tn't；need B．needn't；may C．can't；need D．won't；can 6．—Could I borrow your dictionary? —Yes，of course you ________. A．could B．will C．can D．might 7．—Are you coming to Jeff's party? —I'm not sure.I ________ go to the concert instead. A．must B．would C．should D．might 8．Mr.Bush is on time for everything.How ________ it be that he was late for the opening ceremony. A．can B．should C．may D．must 9．My sister met him at the Grand Theatre yesterday afternoon，so he ________ your lecture. A．couldn't have attended B．needn't have attended C．mustn't have attended D．shouldn't have attended 10．He hesitated for a moment before kicking the ball，otherwise he ________ a goal. A．had scored B．scored C．would score D．would have scored 11．Oh，I'm not feeling well in the stomach.I ________ so much fried chicken just now. A．shouldn't eat B．mustn't have eaten C．shouldn't have eaten D．mustn't eaten 12．A left－luggage office is a place where bags ________ be left for a short time ，especially at a railway station. A．should B．can C．must D．will 13．Keep up good state of mind even if you ________ fail plenty of times. A．must B．will C．can D．should 14．—It's the office！So you ________ know eating is not allowed here. —Oh，sorry. A．must B．will C．may D．need 15．But for the help of my English teacher，I ________ the first prize in the English Writing Competition. A．would not win B．would not have won C．would win D．would have won 16．There ________ be any difficulty about pass ing the road test since you have practised a lot in the driving school. A．mustn't B．shan't C．shouldn't D．needn't 17．—Is John coming by train. —He should，but he ________ not.He likes driving his car. A．must B．can C．need D．may 18． It is hard for me to imagine what I would be doing today if I ________ in love ， at the age of seven， with the Melinda Cox Library in my hometown. A．wouldn't have fallen B．had not fallen C．should fall D．were to fall 19．You can't imagine that a well－behaved gentleman ________ be so rude to a lady. A．might B．need C．should D．would 20．What would have happened ________，as far as up to the river bank. A．Bob had walked farther B．if Bob should walk farther C．had Bob walked farther D．if Bob walked farther