Copernicus’ Revolutionary Theory
1. Do you know what is the center of the solar system?
2. Can you name the eight planets in the solar system?
ht Planets In
the Solar System
Eight Planets In the Solar System:
1. What did Copernicus think was the center of the solar system?
2.When did Copernicus publish his theory?
1. What did Copernicus think was the center of the solar system? the sun.
2.When did Copernicus publish his theory? in 1543.
Careful Reading Use the reading to help you draw the two theories of the universe
Before Copernicus’ theory
A diagram showing the solar system with the earth at its centre.
Showing Copernicus’ theory
A diagram showing the solar system with the sun at its centre.
Read through the passage, and tell whether the following statements are true or false. 1. At Copernicus’ time, Christian Church was in charge of many western countries.
2. Copernicus noticed that observed from the earth, some planets appear in front of or behind the earth. 3. Copernicus didn’t show his new theory to his friends until he completed it. 4. His friends were not interested in his ideas.
5. Since he was not afraid of being
attacked by the Church,
Copernicus published his book as
soon as he finished working on it.
6. Newton, Einstein, and Hawking are all scientists who made contributions to the study of the universe.
Further reading Do you think it’s right for Copernicus to publish his theory that late? Discussion (pair work) If you were Nicolaus Copernicus, would you have hidden your theory for so many years? Give a reason.
As a scientist, Copernicus was more cautious than coward. If he had published his ideas at his time, he would have been killed just as Bruno who was burnt to death because his theory was against the Christian Church’s. Every time a new idea appears,