Find out the main idea of each paragraph.
Match the following headings with the right paragraphs. A PIONEER FOR ALL PEOPLE Para 1 Para 2 Para 3 Para 4 A. Dr Yuan’s dreams. B. Dr
Yuan’s personality. C. Dr Yuan’s biography. D. Dr Yuan’s appearance and his achievement.
The text is about _______________ Yuan Longping who made a great contribution to producing better _____. rice
Read the text carefully and fill in the blanks.
Yuan Longping Appearance ?_________ sunburnt face and arms slim and strong body
_________________ Achievements ? developed super hybrid rice ? became the first __________________ agricultural pioneer
in the world to grow high output rice
? helps the UN reduce _______ hunger in the
Experiences ? born in 1930 and graduated _________ from Southwest Agricultural College in 1953 ? finding ways to grow more rice has been his life _____ goal ? to _________ circulate his knowledge in less developed countries such as India and Vietnam
?is satisfied with his life ?doesn’t care about being famous ?gives a large amount of money to help others to do their ________ research in agriculture ?has many dreams and never gives up
?loves and ________ care for his people
________ Dreams ?to produce a kind of rice that could
_____ feed more people ?to _______ export his rice so that it can be
grown around the globe
Answer these questions based on your understanding of the passage. 1. Why did Yuan Longping want to increase the rice output when he was young? Dr Yuan wanted to increase the rice output because he saw many people go hungry when he was young.
2. Is Yuan Longping more of a scientist or more of a farmer? Do you think he is a businessman? Give your reasons. I think he is more of a scientist. His main purpose is not to make a profit for himself but to study agriculture and use that knowledge to improve farming for farmers everywhere. I do not think he is a businessman, because his goal is not to make money.
3. How would you describe Yuan Longping’s personality? Because of his work with developing hybrid rice, it seems that Yuan Longping must be a very patient and careful man. He didn’t give up but kept working on his project. He also seems to be a very kind man, who cares for others. He wants to use his invention to help hungry people around the world.
4. Yuan Longping was able to develop a successful agricultural product when thousands of other farmers could not. What do you think is the main reason for his success? I think Yuan Longping was successful because he kept working and did not give up. He was also very motivated to succeed and help other farmers around China.
5. Yuan Longping thinks that a person with too much money has more rather than fewer troubles. Do you agree or disagree? Why? I mostly agree. I think being rich can cause a lot of problems, but it really depends on the life and attitude of the person who is rich. People who are rich certainly have different problems from people who are not.
6. Yuan Longping developed super hybrid rice to help Chinese farmers and hungry people around the world. Can you think of any other major development that would make a great difference to world hunger? Write out your idea and then compare it with your partner.
I think developing other hybrid grains would make a great difference in the problem of world hunger. Hybrid grains that can survive in very dry or very hot areas would be very useful in Africa and other areas. Hybrid grains that cannot easily be killed by insects and diseases would be useful around the world.
What is the substance we put on the soil which makes crops grow? It is fertilizer.
How many kinds of fertilizers do farmers use? There are two kinds. They are chemical fertilizers and natural ones.
Read the passage and answer the following questions. 1. Why are chemical fertilizers so popular in farming today? They are a great way to stop crop disease and increase production.
2. What problems can be caused by using chemical fertilizers?
They can damage the land by killing helpful bacteria and pests and by staying in the ground and underground water for a long time. They damage people’s health by building up in their bodies and leading to cancer or other illnesses.
3. What is organic farming? Organic farming means growing crops without using any chemicals.
4. What is the main reason for using organic farming methods? The main reason for using organic farming methods is to grow good food and to avoid damaging the environment or people’s health.