The Third Period
Language points of
the reading passages
Fill in the following form to review the passage
Countries/capital of UK England Wales Information fr
om the text
The largest, three zones : the South, Midland and the North The first country linked to England. England, Wales, Scotland joined,in 1603 Joined to the Great Britain to become the United Kingdom The capital,the oldest port,building and castle
The southern part of that country, independent
1. name n / vt
by name (名叫/ 用名字)
call sb name (辱骂某人)
by the name of (以..为名字)
name after 以…名字命名
worth (worthy of ) the name 名副其实的
namely = that is to say 那就是 Know sb by name 仅仅知道某人的名字
? 2. There is no need to do sth 没必要做某事 ? There’s no use to do sth / doing sth.= It is no use + doing. ? There’s no doubt that … ? There is ( no ) need for + n. ? eg: There is no need for you to help him. ? There is no need to worry at all. ? There is need for anxiety. ? There is no use waiting any longer.= It is no use waiting any longer. ? There’s no doubt that the plan will succeed.
3.debate n. 辩论，争论 v. 与…辩论，争论debate about /upon 关于…辩论 I debated upon/ about the question with Mary . I _______ with my flat-mate about who should do the housework . A . discussed B. debated C. argued D. quarreled argue 指坚持自己的观点和立场，通过争论企图说服对方 argue with sb. about /over sth. Debate指公开正式场合进行的辩论或严肃的争论，双方 各自陈述理由，“交锋，往返”的意味教强； Discuss指威力解决问题和弄清对方的关点而进行的讨论 Quarrel争吵，争论，含有与人发生口角的意思quarrel with sb. about sth.
4．clarify vt.(使某事物)清楚易懂 ，澄清 I hope that what I say will clarify the situation . 你能想出几个-fy/-ify结尾的词吗？ beautify(美化) purify（使纯洁） simplify（使简单 化） 5. join A to B /link A to B 把A和B连接 eg: The Channel Tunnel will join Britain to Europe by road. be linked to = be connected to /be joined to This wire connects _____ that one. A. with B. to C. of D. on 主语为物用with ，主语为人用to /with
? ? ? ?
? ? ? ? ? ?
6. refer to (1) mention or speak of sb/sth提及(到)，指的是… Don’t refer to this matter ,again . (2) make mention or reference / look sth up 参考；查阅;询问 If you don’t understand a word you may refer to your dictionaries. (3) refer sb/sth to sb /sth 将…交给(以求得帮助) The case was referred to the Court of Appeal . It was foolish of him to _____ his notes during that important test, and as a result, he got punished. A. stick to B. refer to C. keep to D. point to reference: n. reference book
? ? ? ? ? ?
7. include v.包括，包含 The price includes postage charge. 辨析include和 contain This book contains all the information you need . Our ten-city tour included a visit to London . contain作“包含”解时，指的是“内有，里面装有，含 有”， include作“包括”解时，指事物所包含的“范 围”。 ? Including/included: 用于举例时，意义是一样的，都译 作“包括”。但是，including必须放在它所说明的同位 语之前，而 included必须放在它所说明的同位语之后。 Everybody here has influenza including myself. ? Everyone laughed, me included.
8. as well (as Sb / sth ) : in addition to sb /sth /doing sth ? Are they coming as well ? ? She is a talented musician as well as being a writer . ? As well / also / too / either ? He ______plays the piano . also ? He is a worker ,______. too As well ? He plays the guitar _________. ? He was not there __________. either
9. to one’s surprise (prep) 当笼统地表示“惊奇、惊 讶”时，surprise是不可数名词。但是，当具体地指某 件令人惊奇的事时，surprise就变成可数名词了。 “to one’s +名词” 表 “令某人…” 常见的名词有 “ delight, disappointment, enjoyment; astonishment 等 eg: I discovered, to my horror, that the goods were entirely unfit for sale. To John’s great relief they reached the house at last. Oh, John. ____ you gave us! A. How a pleasant surprise B. How pleasant surprise C. What a pleasant surprise D. What pleasant surprise
10. …found themselves united peacefully “find +宾语＋宾补( adj; adv; v-ing; pp; 介词短语； 不定式）” eg: A cook will be immediately fired if he is found smoking in the kitchen. You’ll find him easy to get along with.
They found themselves trapped by the bush fire. When I woke up, I found myself in hospital. I called on him yesterday, but I found him out.
1.经过长久的搜寻,我们发现那个男孩安然无恙.(safe and sound ) 2.我发现我在城里迷路了. 3.你将会发现她会很难相处. 4.我在回家的路上拜访了她,发现她出去了. a long search ,we found the boy safe and sound. 2. I found myself lost in the city .
3. You 4. I 1. After
will find her difficult to get along with .
called on her on my way home and found her out .
11. get sth done =have sth done 使某事被做 eg: I'll just get these dishes washed and then I'll come. get + n. + to do get + n. + doing eg. You’ll get her to agree. l’ll get the car going. get done: 用于意想不到、突然或偶然发生，意为“被….” ? Be careful when you cross this very busy street. If not, you may _____ run over by a car. A. have B. get C. become D. turn
12. break away (from sb / sth) 脱离；破除… eg: It is not easy for him to break away from bad habits. The man broke away from his guards. break down (会谈)破裂，失败；(汽车等)出故障; (人的健康状况)变得恶劣；（情感）失控 eg. His car broke down on the way to work this morning. His health broke down under the pressure of work. He broke down and wept when he heard the news. Talks between the two countries have completely broken down. 区别：break in 闯入;打岔 break off 中断，折断 break into 闯入 break out 爆发;发生 break up 驱散;分散,拆散
? News reports say peace talks between the two countries_____ with no agreement reached. A. have broken down B. have broken out C. have broken in D. have broken up 13. Of one’s own 属于某人自己
on one’s own 靠某人自己 own sth. 拥有某物 我有一套属于我自己的房子。 I have a house of my own.
他们靠自己建了一个工厂。 They built the factory on their own. 他拥有五个工厂。He owns five factories.
14. as well as 不仅…而且; 既…又… eg: He is a teacher as well as a writer. The children as well as their father were seen playing football in the street.
15. convenience n方便；便利 ----- inconvenience
convenient adj . make a convenience of sb 过分利用某人/ 欺负老实人 at your convenience 在你方便的时候 If it suits a person’s convenience如果对某人来说方便 be convenient for sb to do sth对某人来说做某事方便 be convenient to sb 对某人来说方便 be convenient for sth 离 …很近 Come and see me whenever ____________. A you are convenient B you will be convenient C it is convenient to you D it will be convenient to you
We bought this house for its convenience. be convenient to sb. ? come and see me whenever ___________. A. you are convenient B. you will be convenient C. it is convenient to you D. it will be convenient to you.
16. be known as 作为…(身份)出名 be known for 因…而出名 be known to 为…所知 be known by 根据… 得知 eg: Fu Biao is known to everyone as a good actor. He was known for his frankness.
17. attraction: un. 1). 吸引；引力 cn. 2). 吸引人的东西；喜闻乐见的东西；精彩节目 Eg. attraction of gravitation 重力 He can’t resist the attraction of the sea on a hot day. A big city offers many and varied attractions. What are the principle attractions this evening? attract : v. attractive: adj. unattractive: adj. attractively: adv.
18. influence 1) (v) 对…产生影响 eg: What influence you to choose a career in teaching? 2) (可数n) 产生影响的人或事 eg: He is one of the good influence in the school. 3) (不可数n) 影响 eg: A teacher has great influence over his pupils. 19. evidence (不可数n) 证据;迹象 a piece of evidence 一项证据 eg: He got many pieces of evidence from the internet for his theory. evidence: 指谋事的真伪 proof: 指令人信服的、无可置疑的证据
evidence to prove him guilty. There wasn’t enough ________ proof His fingerprints were ________of his guilt. 20. keep one’s eyes open 睁大双眼 21. Which country is left out? *leave out: 省略;遗漏;排除 eg: Do you know which word in this sentence has been left out? Don’t leave me out when you’re giving out the invitations!
22. take the place of 取代，代替 =take one’s place / replace in place of instead of instead give place to 让位于… in place / out of place 在适当/ 错误的位置 a place of interest
? 1. Exercises 1,2 on page 50, 51