His success in the competition made us happy. That he succeeded in the competition in the game made us happy.
名词性从句可以表示：事实和问题。 连接词有： that ，whether 和 if． that: 在句子中不起作用，只起连接的作用． ＊＊在主语和表语从句中不能省略． ＊＊If不可用于在主语、表语和同位语从句中，但可用whether 代替． 连接代词有：who whom whose which what等 连接副词有：when where why how 等 另外 whatever whoever whichever等 也可以引导主语从句和宾 语从句。 ＊＊主语从句为了避免头重脚轻的现象，常用形式主语it来引导句子。 It is clear that the elephant doesn’t look like a fan.
常用名词有belief, fact, idea, hope, news, doubt, result, thought, information, opinion等等。suggestion, suggest/order/demand/wish等．
常用连词：that，when，where，why 和how等等。 News came that Napoleon would come and grand army. 消息传来，拿破仑要来视察他的军队。 inspect his
It’s the question how he did it. 问题是他是如何做这件事的。
比较：同位语从句与定语从句 （ ） We expressed the hope that they had expected.定语从句 我们表达了他们曾经表达过的那种希望。 We expressed the hope that they would come to visit China again. 同位语从句 我们希望他们再来中国访问。 分析： 1. 引导同位语的连词that在句中不作任何句子成分，而在定语从 句中，that充当的可以是从句的主语或宾语等。 2. 同位语从句是对前面名词的内容的具体说明，而定语从句是对 前面名词进行修饰，解释为“….的” 3. 连词that在同位语从句中不可省略而在定语从句中当它充当的 是从句宾语时可以省略。
1.The news that the plane would take off on time made everybody happy.
2.The news that is spreading around the airport is that a heavy storm is coming.
3.The suggestion that students should NC practical is worth learn something considering.
4.The suggestion that they are considering is that students should learn something practical. NC
特殊宾语从句： 1. I’m interested in what you are saying.
2. I’m afraid (that) I have to go now.
某些形容词后如afraid, pleased surprised…
3. Provided that you had done it, what harm can you see in it?
1.The idea that England stands for … is past. 2.The fact that Great Britain is made up of 3 countries is still unknown to many . Ｄ 3.The result of this French influence was that the English language ended up with many French words. 4.That most of these are now threatened and may disappear is a serious matter to the people in Britain. Ａ 5.Some people feel that Wales is and ancient fairy land. Ｂ
Ａ．主语从句 Ｂ．宾语从句 Ｃ．表语从句 Ｄ．同位语从句
Liu Xiang won the 110 hurdles
brought Chinese great happiness
That Liu Xiang won the 110 hurdles brought Chinese great happiness.
That the man broke the windows brought him trouble.
The man broke windows brought trouble
1.___________ is known to us all is that America is a developed country___________ the First World. a.Which; belong to b. As, belonged to
c. What; belonging to
d. It; belonging to
2. ______ breaks the law should be punished.
b. No matter who
3. _____ is known to everyone, the moon travels round the earth once every month. a.It b. As c. That d. What
４．What I want to say is _____ do you like best. a. that b. whether c. which ５． My problem is _____ I can’t make myself heard.
b. what c. that d. whether
６．It looks like rain=It looks __________ it is as if/though going to rain.
1. According to Bill Gates, the idea ___ we can play video games and receive e-mails without sitting at a keyboard will come true. However, it is unclear ___ this kind of computer will be on sale and ____ it will cost.
A.which; that; that C. that; when; what B. /; whether; how much D. that; that; how much
2. ______ made the school proud was ___ more than 90% of the students had been admitted to key universities. A.What; because B. What; that C. That; what D. That; because
３．___ she couldn’t understand was
____ fewer and fewer students showed interests in her lessons. A.What; why B. That; what
C. What; because D. Why; that 4. Along with the letter was his promise ____ he would visit me this coming Christmas. A.Which B. that C. what D. whether
5. There’s a feeling in me ____ we’ll never
know what a UFO is– not ever.
A.That B. which C. of which D. what 6. _____ be sent to work there? A.Who do you suggest \
B. Who do you suggest that should
C. Do you suggest who should
D. Do you suggest whom should
7. _____ fashion differs from country to
country may reflect the cultural differences from one aspect. A.What B. That C. This D. Which
8. The suggestion that we ____ a group of these records ____ as soon as possible was adopted by the committee.
A.have; printed B. should have; printing
C. Will have; print C. have; to be printed
9 The news ____ Lincoln was murdered filled the American people’s hearts with deep sorrow. A. which B. when C. that D. how 10 ____ he said at the meeting astonished everyone present.
B. That C. The fact D. The matter
11 I don’t trust his promise ___ he will buy me a new car. A. which B. what C. when D. that
12 She received the message ___ he would come by plane.
C. what D. when
13 She received the message ___ you sent her the other day. A. that B. which C. what D. when
14 ___ is no possibility ___ Bob can win the first prize in the match. A. There, that B. It, that
C. There, whether
D. It, which
1. The fact that two thirds of all girls are on diet worries their parents and teachers a lot. 2.We heard the news last night that the Queen of England was on a three-day visit in China. 3.Many British parents hold the view that teenagers shouldn’t spend to much time online. 4.There is no scientific proof for the idea that time travel is possible. 5. The suggestion that Chinese students should be given more free time is welcomed by many people,especially kids in school.
1.The fact that he was born on May 16, 1953 is new to .I didn’t know that he is in his fifties. 2. The fact that he is famous Ireland is new to me. I didn’t know that he is Irish. 3. The fact that his wife died of cancer in 1994. I didn’t know that his wife had died. 4.The fact that he met his present wife in1994 .I didn’t know that he married again. 5. The fact that he was offered the role as 007 in Golden Eye in 1995 is new to me. I didn’t know that was his first film as 007. 6. The fact that Tomorrow Never Dies (1997) was his second film in the series is new to me. I didn’t know that it is a series. 7. The fact that he owns a production company with a long-time friend is new to me .I didn’t know that he also produces films. 8. The fact that he has raised a lot of money to help research into breast cancer is new to me . I didn’t know that he is such a good man.
1. It is said that Oxford and Cambridge are two of the oldest and most famous universities.
2. That the first boat race was held in 1829 is new to me. 3. The fact that A first boat race was held in 1829 shows the that the boat races have a history of over 170 years.
4. What O have found in the book is that Oxford won the first I boat race in 1829. 5. How do you explain that the second race took place in 1836, seven years after the first one? 6. Is it true that it has become a tradition since then? 7. It is interesting that Oxford blue has become an English phrase and so has Cambridge blue. 8.That the race runs over 4.5 miles makes it very challenging .
9. Do you know that it is the captain of the previous
year’s losing team who throws down the challenge? O 10. What I have found in the book is that the record of 16 minutes and 19 seconds was set by Cambridge in 1998. P 11.That Cambridge has won more races than Oxford S doesn’t mean that Cambridge is a stronger team than Oxford, O 12.It was exciting that Oxford beat Cambridge only by a foot in 2003. S 13.I can tell that the boat race has become an important sports event from the fact that it attracts about 400 million people all over the world to watch it on TV each year. A 14.Did you hear the news that about a quarter of a A million people watch the race from the riverbanks?
1.Go over what you have learned. 2.Finish the workbook.
3.Recite the second paragraph.