Find the word and phrase from the previous pages of this unit for each of these meanings.
1. _______ various of several different types 2. _______ theme the main subject of a talk, bo
ok, film or something else 3. preserve _______ to keep something as it is; an area of land made available for a special group of people or animals to live in 4. wherever _______ to or at any place, position or situation 5. fantasy _______ something that is pleasant to think about but is not real
6. _______ deed action, usually a very great one or a
very bad one
7. _______ length the measurement of something from
one end to the other
8. _______ unique being the only one of its kind; unlike
9. _______ central in the middle of an area or an object 10. __________ no wonder not surprising
Use the words in the box to complete the sentences below. Some words are used as both nouns and verbs. engine carpenter cartoon amusement eagles slide swing tourism
engine carpenter cartoon amusement eagles slide swing tourism
1. Before buying a car, my dad always looks at its _______. engine 2. Early American settlers were great _________, - they could build almost carpenters anything from wood. 3. Both adults and children like to watch ________ cartoons just for __________. amusement
4. There are about 60 different kinds of _______ eagles around the world, but only two kinds live in North America. 5. Tourism _______ is a big business for small countries like Singapore. 6. When I was little, my favorite thing to do was to go to the playground and _______ and _______ slide down ________ slides swing on _______. swings
Complete the paragraph with words below in their proper forms. One word is used more than once. attraction deed fantasy preserve sword tournament whichever
attraction deed fantasy preserve sword tournament whichever
There are many stories about Britain’s ancient King Arthur, some true, some just _______. fantasy When Arthur was a boy, no one knew who his parents were. He worked for a great knight and his son, to help them prepare for ___________ tournaments and battles. One day, news came that Britain’s old king had died without a son.
To _________ preserve the kingdom from disorder, the old wizard Merlin took the kning’s ______ sword and drove it into a great stone. He announced that __________ whichever knight could take it out was Britain’s true king. The __________ attraction brought many knights from all over the country to try their strength. One morning, Arthur came across the ______ sword in the stone.
He knew nothing about it but decided that he should try to get it for his master. He pulled hard, and it came out! Soon the whole country heard about Arthur’s amazing _______ deed and made him king.