定语从句 Attributive Clause
What is it ?
Let’s learn it carefully!
He is a man who sings the song you and me.
定语从句 关系副词 where,
when , why
which, who, whom, whose, that
?在复句中修饰名词或代词的从句叫做 ?定语从句.(定语从句放在被修饰成分之后) 定语从句所修饰的词叫先行词 引导定语从句的连词叫关系词
关系代词：who, whom whose, which, that
Do you know the man?
He spoke just now.
Do you know the man who spoke just now?
(2)替代“先行词”(省去从句中对应的 he / she / it / they / him / her / them /house …); (3)在定语从句中充当成分(作主语/宾
This is the car which he bought last year. 先行词 定语从句
Harry is the boy whose mother is our Maths teacher. 定语从句 先行词
主句： 共有词 从句：
共有词 关系词 主句 从句
which 指物, 在句中作主语或宾语,
作宾语时可以省略。 I have read the newspaper. It carries the important news.
I have read the newspaper which carries the important news.
I showed him the letter. I received it this morning I showed him the letter (which) I received this morning.
?who 指人，在 定语从句作主语或宾 语.
The man is a worker. The man is speaking at the meeting.
The man who is speaking at the meeting is a worker.
?Whom指人, 在从句中作宾语, 可省略
The woman is a teacher.
They wanted to visit the woman.
The woman (whom) they wanted to visit is a teacher. 作宾语
?that指人或物， 在从句中做主语 或宾语, 作宾语时可以省略。
They’re talking about the film. I have seen the film. They’re talking about the film (that) I’ve seen.
Jane has borrowed the book.
It was written by Laoshe. Jane has borrowed the book
that was written by Laoshe.
I know the girl. The girl’s mother is a teacher.
I know the girl whose mother is a teacher. 作定语
基础练习 1. Is that the house ____ you bought last B year? A. whose B. which A 2. Is that the picture ___ you are laughing at? A. which B.who
B 4.The street ______is next to the park is very narrow. A. who B. which
A 5.The person ___finds my watch will get a reward. A. who B. whom
7.The boy ___mother is ill can not B come to the party. A. who B. whose
Fill in the blanks with who, whom, whose, which and that.
1. The man __________ /that I saw told who/whom me to wait. whose 2. I know a boy ______ father is an acrobat. (杂技演员) 3. He saw a housewhose windows were _____ all broken.
? that和which在指物的情况下一般都可以互换, 但在下列情况下, 一般用that而不用which。
(1) 先行词为all, everything, nothing, something, anything, little, much 等不定代词时。 I am sure she has something (that) you can borrow. (2)先行词被all, every, no, some, any, little, much等 不定代词修饰时。 I’ve read all the books that are not mine. (3)先行词被序数词或最高级修饰时。 This is the first book (that) he has read. (4)先行词被the only, the very, the same修饰时。 This is the very book that belongs to him.
? 4. 先行词既指人又指物时。如： ? ? We were deeply impressed by the teachers ? and schools (that) we had visited. ? 5. 先行词在主句中作表语，或关系代词 在从句中作表语时。如：
This is a dictionary that will help you a lot.
Don't cheat me. I'm no longer the boy that I was three years ago.
Choose the best answers:
1. This is all ____ I know about the matter. A. that B. what C. who D. whether 2. Is there anything else _____ you want? A. which B. that C. who D. what 3. The last place _____ we visited was the Great Wall. A. which B. that C. where D. it
4. Please take the second chair_______ is over there. A. where B. which C. who D. that
5. Is oxygen the only gas __ helps fire burn? A. that B./ C.which D.it 6. Finally, the thief handed everything _____ he had stolen to the police. (NMET98’) A. which B. what C. whatever D. that
7. All of the flowers now raised here have developed from those ____ in the forest.
A. once the grew B. they grew once
C. that once grew D. once grew.
8. I don’t like ____ you speak to her.
A. the way B. the way in that
C. the way which D. the way of which
9. The weather turned out to be very good, ____ was more than we expected. A. what B. which C. that D. it 10. He paid the boy $10 for washing ten windows; most of ____ hadn’t been
cleaned for ten years.
A. these B. those C. that D. which
5. All the apples ____ fall are eaten by that wild boars. 6. Can you think of anyone ____ could that look after him? 7. This is the best hotel ____ I know. that 8. He showed a machine which parts are _____ too small to be seen.
1. 先行词指人时，用关系代词that / who (whom), 在句中作主语或宾语； 2. 先行词是物时，用关系代词that / which， 在从句中作主语或宾语； 3. whose 在从句中作定语，既可指人，表示 “某(些)人的…”；也可指物，表示“某物 的…”； 4.关系代词that、 who、whom、which 在定 语从句中作宾语时可以省略。
Think and conclude
1.意义： 定语从句是用来修饰名词的句子. 2.写法： ①找出两个简单句的共有成分； ②将从句中的共有成分去掉； ③用关系词引导剩下的从句，并紧 接在被修饰词之后．