? 1. Stephen hawking believes that the earth is unlikely to be the only planet ___ life has developed gradually. （2010福建卷） A. that B
. where C. which D. whose 解析：先行词为planet，表示地点，从句中的动词develop为 不及物动词,从句不缺少成分，故排除选项中的关系代词that, which, whose，选择where在从句中作状语。 ? 2. Some pre-school children go to a day-care center, ___ they learn simple games and songs. (2007全国卷?) A. then B. there C. while D. where 解析：先行词为a day-care center,表地点，选择where在从句 中作地点状语。
3. ---Can you believe I had to pay 30 dollars for a haircut ? ---You should try the barber’s ___ I go. it’s only 15. （2010天津卷） A. as B. which C. where D. that 从句中的go是不及物动词，从句不缺少成分，所以排除选项中的 关系代词as, which, that。the barber’s = the barber’s house 表地点，故应选择where在从句中作状语。
1. 先行词虽然是表地点的名词，但引导定语从句的关系 词不一定用where。
New York, ___ last year is a nice old city. （2003北京卷） A. that I visited B. which I visited C. where I visited D. in which I visited 先行词为New York，地点名词，从句中谓语动词visit是及物动 词，用关系代词作从句的宾语成分，故应选B. which I visited。 ?
2. 先行词为地点名词，且在从句中作状语成分，关系词 也可以用in / at /on which替代。in用于某一空间范围， at用于平面上的某一点，有时也可以用on。
(1) The place ___ the bridge is supposed to be built should be ___ the cross-river traffic is the heaviest. （2005江苏卷） A. which; where B. at which; which C. at which; where D. which; in which 第一个空格后的定语从句不缺少成分，先行词又是地点名词 place，在从句中作状语，故可填at which或where。第二个空格 后的句子也不缺少成分，由题意可知，应用where引导表语从 句，故应选C. at which; where。 (2) Is this the house ___ shakespeare was born? （1988全 国卷） A. at where B. which C. in which D. at which 先行词the house，表空间范围的地点名词，从句中不缺少成 分，应用关系副词where或in which作状语，故应选C.
The house I grew up ___ has been taken down and replaced by an office building. （2009江西卷） A. in it B. in C. in that D. in which the house后面i grew up这个句子是定语从句，grew up是不及物动词，而the house在从句中作宾语，显然需要加 介词，构成the house (which / that) i grew up in...的结构， 而which / that关系代词可以省略，故选B. in。
? 二.先行词（表示家具、衣物、工具等名词）+关系副词 （where）+定语从句
1. If a shop has chairs ___ women can park their men, women will spend more time in the shop. （2005，上海卷） A. that B. which C. when D. where 解析：先行词为chairs，是表示具体事物的名词，又知定语从句 中不缺少成分。根据句意可把 chairs看作表地点的名词，在从 句中作状语，故选d. where。 ? 2. There were dirty marks on her trousers ___ she had wiped her hands. （2004四川卷） A. where B. which C. when D. that ? 解析：由题意可知先行词应为trousers，而不是marks。从句 中不缺少成分，故排除选项中的关系代词which, that，而应选 择where在从句中作状语。
三.先行词（抽象名词）+关系副词（where）+定语从句 I can think of many cases ___ students obviously knew a lot of English words and expressions but couldn’t write a good essay. A. why B. which C. as D. where 先行词为case，属抽象名词，且从句中不缺少成分，故排除选项 中的关系代词which和as. 2. It’s helpful to put children in a situation ___ they can see themselves differently. （2009福建卷） A. that B. when C. which D. where 本句先行词为situation，译作“环境，境遇”，用于表示地点的 抽 象名词，且从句中不缺少成分，故应选D. where。 3. we’re just trying to reach a point ___ both sides will sit down together and talk. （2006山东卷） A. where B. that C. when D. which 先行词为point，可译作“目标，目的”，属表地点的抽象名词， 从 句中不缺少成分，故应选A. where。
4. Those successful deaf dancers think that dancing is an activity ___ sight matters more than hearing. （2007天津卷 A. when B. whose C. which D. where 先行词为activity，属表示地点的抽象名词，而从句中的谓词动词 matter为不及物动词，不需要宾语，故应选D. where。 5. Many people who had seen the film were afraid to go to the forest when they remembered the scenes ___ people were eaten by the tiger. （2005广东卷） A. in which B. by which C. which D. that 先行词为scene，属于表地点的抽象名词，从句为被动语态，且不 缺少成分,故选A. in which。 6. I’ll give you my friend’s home address, ___ I can be reached most evenings. （2008北京卷) A. which B. when C. whom D. where 先行词为address，属表地点的抽象名词，且从句中不缺少成分,故 应选D. where。
? 7. All the neighbors admire this family, ___ the parents are treating their child like a friend. （2008安徽卷） A. why B. where C. which D. that ? 先行词为family，属表地点的抽象名词，且从句中不缺少成分， 故选B. where。 8. I work in a business ___ almost everyone is waiting for a great chance. （2004湖南卷） ? A. how B. which C. where D. that ? 先行词为business，属表地点的抽象名词，且从句中不缺少成 分，故选C. where。 9. — What do you think of teaching, Bob ? — I find it fun and challenging. It is a job ___ you are doing something serious but interesting. （2009北京卷） ? A. where B. which C. when D. that 先行词为job，属表地点的抽象名词，且从句中不缺少成分，故 选A. where。
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?
例题展示： ①The door look very nice after white. A. painting B. being painted C. to be painted D. painted ②Before to a university, you are supposed to work harder and make preparations. A. be admitted B. being admitted C. admitting D. admit 考点提示：where引导的定语从句。 特殊的先行词（抽象名词）+关系副词（where/ when） +定语从句(从句中不缺充分)。 这些特殊的先行词有 case（情况）/ condition(状况)/ point（阶段）/ position（处境）/ situation（情形）/ occasion(场合) / circumstances（境况）/ scene（情景，场面）
? 例题展示： ? ①After graduating from high school, you will reach a point in your life ________you need to decide what to do. ? A. that B. what C. which D. where ? ②In our next English class the cases will be offered to you ________these phrases can be used together. ? A. that B. which C. who D. where ? ③（2008· 山东） Occasions are quite rare ___________I have the time to spend a day with my kids. ? A. who B. which C. where D. when
? ④（2009· 福建） It’s helpful to put children in a situation ________they can see themselves differently. ? A. that B. when C. which D. where ? ⑤The head of the company is in a slightly awkward position___ he can’t handle the problems he is faced with. ? A. that B. when C. which D. where ? ⑥（2005广东）Many people who had seen the film were afraid to go to the forest when they remembered the scenes ___ people were eaten by the tiger. A. in which B. by which C. which D. that