He said he would _____ me to Mr. Li but actually he didn’t. A. comment .
e must bring our ideas into ____ with the laws of the objective external world. A. correspondence .
A 200-year-old building is very old _________ American history. A. in terms of .
B. in sight of
C. in view of
D. in spite of
While nuclear weapons present grave _____ dangers, the predominant crisis of overpopulation is with us today. A. inevitable .
I thought his remark was highly____, given the circumstances. B. appreciative C. approval D. appreciable
A. appropriate .
On the crowded bus, he _____ his seat _____ an old man. A. yielded…to C. provided…with .
B. competed…with D. exchanged...with
7. The professor could hardly find sufficient grounds _____ his arguments in favour of the new theory. A. to be based on C. which to base on .
B. to base on D. on which to base
He was an elected ____ of the people. A. representative .
B. represent C. representation
You shouldn’t expect immigrants to _______ into an alien culture immediately. A. take .
10. The fact that they reacted so differently was a reflection of their different ____. A. personalities B. performances C. qualities .
11. These distractions will cost you serious time if you don’t bypass them and ________ business immediately. A. get around .
B. get on
C. get down to
D. go back
12. It’s rather ____ that we still do not know how many species there are in the world today. A. embarrassing B. misleading C. boring D. demanding
13. Young men were ____ in the art of handling horses. A. tutored .
14. Some fish have a greater _____ for acid water than others. A. tolerance B. resistance .
15. The report you heard from the government spokesman _____ the facts. It is not reliable. A. retorted .
16. The traditional way to ________ people of false beliefs is to provide them with accurate information. A. abuse .
17. She has a great _____ for English teaching and students enjoy her class very much. A. kindness .
18. Are you hesitant about revealing your _______ when you chat on the internet?
A. identification .
19. The old lady ______ smilingly to be helped up the stairs. A. rejected .
20. He has been keeping A.company .
with her for more than two years. D.compose
21. The rain was heavy, (and) ______ A.consequently .
the land was flooded. D.but
22. A club is a place to make frequent ______with friends. A.contract .
23. Are you A.content .
with your present salary? C.satisfy D.glad
24. The driver of a car should not take A.drifts .
at high speed.
25. He displayed a complete lack of ______ and tact in dealing with his employer. A. courtesy .
26. The woman filed a lawsuit against her former husband because he did nothing to ________ their children. A. refer to .
C. hold up
27. The boys__________ each other in that they both have ginger hair and round faces. A. identify .
28. The ______ cycle of life and death is a subject of interest to scientists and philosophers alike. A. incompatible .
29. When making modern cameras , people began to _______ plastics for metal. A. surround B.substance C.stretch D.substitute .
30. He's the kind of man who is fond of _____ compliments to other men's wives. A. paying B. saying C. expressing D. showing
31. He was_______ of having asked such a silly question． A.sorry B.guilty C.ashamed D.miserable .
32. Please do not _______ when somebody else is talking. A. intend . B.interpret
33. He has _______ much time and energy for his invention. A. contained .
34. To some _______， Mary still does not understand this unit. But she herself does not believe so. A. extend B. extent C. part D. content .
35. I took it for _______ that you wouldn’t come here again. A. grand . B. tame
36. The children performed a very A. graceful .
_______ dance for their parents.
C. precise. D. successive
37. Only hotel guests have the _______ of using the private beach. A. occasion .
C. habit. D. privilege
38. The old man did not seem to ______ much importance to the issue. A. attach .
39. ________ trust is the foundation leading to the success of a marriage. A. Natural .
40. The civilization of ancient Greece can be ______to the rich culture of a small island in Mediterranean during around 2000 B.C. A. detracted B. tracked .
41. In a democratic country, every citizen should be protected by the rights _________ in the Constitution. A. growing out of .
B provided for
C. written down
D. laid for
42. His wife is angry
finding faults with him, which makes him very
A. subsequently B. ultimately .
43. The girl is so cute that everyone wants to _____her chubby face. A. strike .
B. stroke C. stumble
44. The ________ voice of the woman miraculously made the baby stop crying. A. consuming .
C. stroking D. soothing
45. The doctor’s treatment of infertility by using cloning technology is said to hurt the _____ of human beings. A. dignity .
46. _______dull he may be, he is certainly a very successful top executive. A．Although .
47. All ____is a continuous supply of fuel oil. A. what is needed C. the thing needed .
B. that is needed D. for their needs
48. Corn originated in the New World and thus was not known in Europe until Columbus found it ______________ in Cuba. A． being cultivated B. been cultivated C． having cultivated D. cultivating .
49. Some women ______________ a good salary in a job instead of staying home, but they decided not to work for the sake of the family. A. must make C. would make .
B. should have made D. could have made
50. Splendid civilization existed in America ________ Europeans discovered the Continent. A．long since .
B long after
C long before
D long as