1. occupation n. 1) 工作, 职业 Please state your name, address, and occupation. I hope that teaching will be my future occupation. 2) 业余活动, 消遣 Fishing is a peaceful oc
3) 占领，占有 She was born in France during the German occupation. ＜知识拓展＞ occupant n. 占有人, 占有者
occupational adj. 职业的, 职业引起的
occupy v. 占领,占有,使从事,使忙于
2. Now discuss in pairs how you would feel if you were offered a job on a famous newspaper. 这里if 引导虚拟条件句,表示与将来的事 实相反。虚拟语气是一种特殊的谓语动 词形式;用来表示一种假设、愿望、建议、 命令、可能等。注意下面表格中的主句 与从句时态。
相关时态 表现在 表过去
从句形式 过去式 had+ Ved
主句形式 would/could/should /might + V 原 would/could/should /might + have done
①过去式 would/could/should ②should +Ｖ原 /might + V 原 ③were to +V 原
? If you had come earlier, you would
have met him.
? If I were you, I would go there at once. ? If it were to rain tomorrow, they would
not go out.
3. Never will Zhou Yang forget his first assignment at the office of a popular local newspaper. 这里是倒装(Inversion), 此句的正常句序 是: Zhou Yang will never forget his first assignment at the office of …. 注意: 当一些否定词,如: never, little, hardly, scarcely, seldom, not, not only, no sooner 放在句首时,句子部分倒装, 即 句序为:否定词＋助动词＋主语＋谓语
Maybe you have been to many countries, but nowhere else can you find such a beautiful place. (否定词nowhere置于句首, 对句子结构 进行部分倒装) I finally got the job I dreamed about. Never in my life had I felt so happy. (否定词never置于句首,对句子结构进 行部分倒装）
4. His discussion with his new boss, Hu Xin, was to strongly influence his life as a journalist. be to +动词原形,这里表示将来的时态, 有注定的意味。 He is never to see his wife again. His continuous effort is to make him a successful man.
be to +动词原形可以表示一种责任,需 要,警告或命令的语气。 You are to be back before 10pm. I am to inform you that your wife was killed in the accident.
be to +动词原形也可以表示一种不会 改变的安排或意向。
They are to be married next month.
The conference is to be held on March
否定形式be (not) to +动词原形表示 一种可能性。
The lost child was not to be found.
He was not to come on time.
n.影响力;有影响力的人或事 5. influence v. 影响(某人)对…起作用
influential adj. 有影响力的 The influence of parents is very important. It’s very clear that her painting has been influenced by Picasso. I don’t want to influence you, so I don’t want to tell you my opinion.
6. delighted: very pleased and happy delighted to do something Sandy will be delighted to see you. delighted (that) I'm delighted that we have settled the matter. delighted with/by/at She was delighted with her new home. I am delighted by the result. Andrea was delighted at the chance to go to the ballet ball.
7. assistant adj.助理的；副的 e.g. assistant manager / director / cook / professor / journalist etc. assistant n. ( C ) : someone who helps someone else in their work, especially by doing the less important jobs e.g. a sales / shop assistant e.g. Hughes, who was Mott's assistant, will now become head coach. e.g. Lydia is the assistant to the Director of Finance.
8. put sb. …to sb. : to arrange for someone to follow sb., or to make sb. go to a place e.g. Remember to put the children to bed at 8 o’clock. put sb. up to sth. : to encourage someone to do something stupid or dangerous e.g. 'Did Shirley put you up to this?' 'No, it was my own idea.'
9. Not till you are more experienced.
等你积累一些经验了才行. experienced adj. 有经验的,熟练的,有
见识经验丰富的常与介词 in 或 at 连用 She has become quite experienced at /
in teaching primary school students.
He is experienced in/at bargaining.
experience 1) v. 经历,体验
Have you experienced real hunger?
Our country has experienced great
CN 经历,经历的事情 UN 经验,体验
Please tell us your experiences while in Africa. That was an unpleasant experience. He hadn’t enough experience for the job. I know from the experience that he will be late.
10. Later you can cover a story and submit the article yourself.
1) cover v. 采访, 报道 Journalists are soon sent to cover the terrible attack / cover the local election. v. 覆盖, 遮掩 2/3 of the earth is covered with water. He laughed to cover his nervousness.
v. 包括, 涉及 His lecture covered the subject thoroughly. He made a research that covers a wide field.
I bought the book only for its cover.
We took cover/sheltered under a tree.
They escaped under the cover of darkness.
2) submit v. 提交, 呈递 ? submit (that)主张 He submits only that it is not Washington that should do the helping. ? submit an application /claim/proposal … All applications must be submitted by Monday. ? 屈服, 顺从 They submitted an essay to the pressure.
11. No need for a camera. 此句是省略句, 原句为:There is no need for a camera. <拓展＞ There is no need (for sb.) to do sth. 没有必要做某事情 There is no need to worry about money. There is no need to be in such a hurry.
12. professional adj. 职业的,专业的,从事
I can’t imagine he is a professional
I want to be a professional journalist.
professional team / standards / advice
profession n. occupation requiring
advanced education and special training
She is a lawyer by profession.
The acting is a good profession at the
13. eager adj. full of strong desire to do sth. Students are eager for new knowledge. He is eager in his studies. I am eager about progress. She is eager to please her boss. eagerness n. 热切,渴望
14. concentrate on (doing) sth. concentrate v. 1) 专心致志，全神贯注 His whole mind was concentrated on one thing--- how to pass the exam. I can’t concentrate on my studies
with all that noise going on.
2) 聚集, 集中
The troops concentrated near the
The crowds concentrated in the
centre of the city.
15. Not only am I interested in photography, but I took an amateur course at university to update my skills. Not only…but also 引导的并列句, 如not only位于句首, not only 所在句倒装。 Not only will I go, but also I will take my parents there.
16. amateur adj. 业余的→(反) professional 专业的 ? an amateur orchestra (管弦乐队) ? amateur dramatics n. (C) someone who does an activity just for pleasure, not as their job ? Compared to those guys, I'm an amateur. ? The cast was made up mostly of amateurs. ? The orchestra is made up entirely of amateurs.
17. course n. 课程; 过程; 一道菜 An event that changed the course of history. 改变历史进程的事件
a four-course dinner 有四道菜的正餐
18. update v. to make sth more modern by adding new parts, etc. 现代化, 更新 It’s about time we updated our software. 我们的软件应该更新了。
skilled adj. : good at something because you have experience or training 有能力 的; 有经验的; 训练过的 ? (反) unskilled ? The company is fortunate to have such highly skilled workers. ? Many Silicon Valley companies are growing so fast, they are eager to build a skilled high-tech workforce.
skillful adj. having or showing skill 有技巧的；熟练的 ? They were highly professional and very skillful. ? We give him instruction in safe and skillful driving. ? Biological evolution has made the human species more sensitive to its environment and more skillful in dealing with it.
20. acquire v. gain or get by one’s effort 获得 acquisition n. 获得,习得,获得物 I managed to acquire two tickets for the concert. The company has acquired a new office building in Guangzhou.
The acquisition of a second language is different from learning it. 语言的习得不等同于语言的学习 He is a valuable acquisition to the firm. 他是公司不可多得(宝贵的)人才 注意:不要把 acquire(获得, 学到)和 inquire (询问, 问明, 查究)混淆
21. have a nose for
He has a sharp nose for others’
trouble. Experienced teachers often have a sharp noses for students’ problems.
<拓展> have an eye for 很能鉴赏(判断);对…感兴趣 He has an eye for beauty, so he has an eye for color and style in clothes too.
22. assess v to make a judgment about a person or situation after thinking carefully about it ? synonym(同义词): judge ? The technique is being tried in classrooms to assess what effects it may have. ? Psychologists(心理学家们) will assess the child's behavior. ? The booklet aims to help parents assess recent educational changes.
23. inform v formally or officially tell someone about something or give them information inform somebody about/of something ? Please inform us of any change of address as soon as possible. inform somebody (that) ? We regret to inform you that your application has been rejected.
24. miss v. not do sth. / fail to do sth. ? I'm absolutely starving — I missed lunch. ? He missed 20 games after breaking a bone in his wrist. ? She was upset at missing all the excitement. miss doing something ? He had missed being elected by a single vote.
25. deadline n a date or time by which you have to do or complete something deadline for ? The deadline for applications is May 27th. deadline of ? It has to be in before the deadline of July 1st. meet /miss a deadline (= have or not have something finished on time) ? working under pressure to meet a deadline
26. Meanwhile you have to prepare the next question depending on what the person says. adv. (meantime, at the same time, in the time between two events)期间, 同时 She is due to arrive on Friday. Meanwhile, what should we do? 她预定星期五到达, 这期间我们做什么 好呢？
27. accused…of 控告; 控诉 to accuse sb of murder/theft. 控告某人谋杀/盗窃
28. so as to 以便 The test questions are kept secret, so as to prevent cheating. 试题必须保密,以防作弊。
29. sceptical adj. tending to disagree with what other people tell you ? sceptically adv. sceptical about/of ? I'm extremely sceptical about what I read in the press. ? Environmental groups are sceptical of the government's claims.
30. dilemma n. an extremely difficult or complicated problem ? a moral dilemma 道德（方面的）两难 （问题） ? in a dilemma 处于两难中 ? I'm in a dilemma about this job offer. ? This placed Robert Kennedy in a dilemma.
? Many women are faced with the dilemma of choosing between work and family commitments.（义务） ? It is a common dilemma: Should you stay where you have friends and family, or take that good job in a far-away city?
31. demand v to ask for something very firmly, especially because you think you have a right to do this demand sth. of sb. ? Some children demand too much of their parents. (同义词) require; need ? This sorts of work demands great patience.
demand that(从句中should可省略) ? He demands that he be told /demands to be told everything. ? They demanded that the military government free all political prisoners. demand to know / see / have sth. ? He kept demanding to know how it got there.
I. 根据句意，选择适当的词填空。 1. profession; professional; professor a. He was a famous _________ in Jilin professor University. profession b. He took up the __________ of doctor when he was 30. c. You need a ___________ expert to professional direct your paper.
3. gift; gifted gift a. He has a ______ for music. gifted b. He is ______ in singing and dancing. 4. thorough; through Through a. _______ the kitchen window, I saw the mailman walking up to the house. b. Researchers have to be very ________ thorough to make sure the results are accurate.
5. colleague; college colleague a. I’d like to introduce a _________ of mine, David from our office. b. My brother never went to ______, college but he still has a very good job. 6. concentrate; concentration a. I can’t concentrate on my studies __________ with so much noise going on. b. The tennis players need total concentration _____________ during play.
7. course; cause a. Breast cancer is the leading ______ of cause death for American women in their forties. b. All people applying for driving licenses are required to take a driving ______. course 8. record; recorder a. She took her Sony tape _________ out recorder of her bag and placed it down. b. According to your medical ______, you records had an operation five years ago.
II. 根据括号内所给的提示将下列句子翻 译成英语。 1. 我们必须致力于改进教育工作。 (concentrate ... on) We must concentrate our efforts on improving education.
3. 他被派去报道那次会议的有关情况。 (cover) He was sent to cover that meeting. 4. 那本书找不到了。(be to do) The book was not to be found. 5. 只有当你经历了很多磨难后, 你才知 道幸福的可贵。(only if) Only if you experience much hardship can you value the happiness.
6. 他被指控杀人并被宣判死罪。(be accused of) He is accused of murder and sentenced to death. 7. 为了占到好座位，我和玛丽很早就去 了。(so as to) Mary and I went early so as to get good seats. 8. 我以为我们今天会领到电影票呢。(be supposed to) I thought we were supposed to get movie tickets today.
9. 在场的所有人都认为他没有说实话。 (tell the truth) All the people present thought he didn’t tell the truth.