Lesson Plan Unit 5 Technology All around Us Virtual Reality - Reading
1. Knowledge Objectives: To help students get the general idea of the text, and some imp
ortant detailed information. To help students analyze the advantages and disadvantages of virtual reality. 2. Ability Objectives: To help students learn to use the important words and expressions related with the topic of virtual reality. To help students improve their reading abilities such as skimming, scanning and inferring. 3. Emotion Objectives: To stimulate students’ interest in English learning. To help students understand pros and cons of virtual reality and properly apply VR.
How to embody virtual reality to students with details. How to help students realize the danger of virtual reality.
Task-based Approach Communicative Approach Direct Method
Teacher’s activities 1. Ask students questions about the video games pictures. 2. Ask students about their habit of using computers We use computer every day, it’s the invention of hi-technology, which is the theme of this unit: Technology all around US. Students’ activities 1. Answer questions about the video games pictures. 2. Answer the teacher about the habit of using computer. Purpose 1. To arouse students’ interest in the topic 2. To activate students’ schemata
Pre-reading Lead- in
1. Ask the students to skim the article, number the paragraphs. 2. Ask the students to work in pairs, read the first sentence of each paragraph, and try to figure out the main idea of each paragraph, then complete the match to establish the structure of the article. 3. Listen to the tape of each paragraph and ask questions related with the article. Show students some pictures or make judgment of some statements to comprehend the article. Explain the definition of new words while giving sample answers. Then, read each paragraph together. Play the game: 1. Shout out at sth. Example: I would like to shout out at technology, because technology changes our lives completely. 2. Shout out at sb. Reason: We shouldn’t neglect the real world we are living in and the social connections between us and our friends, teachers, families and even strangers. Example: I would like to shout out at Ms. Wang, because she gave me
1. Skim the passage, number the paragraphs. 2. Work in pairs and summarize the main idea of each paragraph then complete the match. 3. Try to understand the article and learn to use some useful expressions in it.
1. Practice the skill of skimming. 2. Practice the skill of scanning. 3. Learn the pros and cons of VR. 4. Learn some useful expressions and strategy of rhetorical questions.
1. Express opinion on the title of this lesson or this unit with word learnt in a game. 2. Express gratitude to someone in public.
1. To consolidate what they have learned in the lesson. 2. To help students to have more practice of expressing opinions on VR and to facilitate students to pay more attention to real world and real lives.
this valuable opportunity to have lesson with you guys and she offered me a lot of help. Assignment Ask students to write an essay with the title “ My attitude towards VR” in about 100 words. Try to use what have learnt in this lesson, and creative ideas are encouraged. 1. To let students review the whole article after class. 2. To lead students for further thinking about the title.