1. Find the word or phrase from the text for each of these meanings.
1. brown (skin) from spending too much time in the sun sunburnt 2. to make something or somebody free of ri
d…of 3. to become larger in size, number or amount expand
4. to make information and ideas known to many people circulate 5. would prefer to would rather 6. to try extremely hard to achieve something struggle
7. to send things to foreign countries for sale export 8. pleased by having what one wants or needs satisfied with 9. to provide with things necessary for a certain purpose equip
10. plants grown in large amounts by farmers crop
11. because of thanks to
2. Find words from the previous pages of this unit to replace the underlined words. You may need to change the words’ forms to fit.
1. According to the WHO’s information, about 1.8 million people across the world die each year from diseases caused by unsafe food and water. statistics, globe
2. Different kinds of strong corn, another hybrid grain, has been developed by scientists of many different races. super, nationalities 3. Not having enough food leads to poor health and, therefore, sickness. Hunger, disease
4. Over 56 percent of the people in a small Southeast Asian country are in jobs related to agriculture. Vietnam, occupations 5. With the open conditions in today’s international business world, hybrid grains can be sold and sent abroad to countries around the world.
3. Complete the passage with the words below in their proper forms.
disturbing expand output struggle battles grain crops decade equip In the past _______, decade some of the
farmers in the west of China have met with some success in the struggle _______
expanding against the __________desert.
_________ with new scientific farming Equipped methods, they have been able to use less output farmland than in the past. Their _______ grain and other ______, crops however, is still of _____ the same, which makes it possible for them to use the remaining farmland for planting trees. These and other farmers are starting to win small ______ battles in the treat war against the disturbing ________ growth of the desert.