1. I learnt her hard-working and kind _______ I got to know her in the bookstore. A. first time B. for the first tim
e C. the first time D. by the first time
2. It was not _______ he took off his dark glass ____I realise who he was. A. when; that B. until; when C. when; then D. until; that
3. It was 19 years _______ Mandela, the former president of South Africa, was set free from prison. A. before B. since C. until D. that
4. _______ had the bell rung _______ the students took their seats. A. Hardly; when B. No sooner; when C. Hardly; than D. No sooner; then
5.We walked along the beach for nearly three hours _______ we saw a boat on the sea. A. when B. before C. unless D. as
6.The two brothers quarreled and quarreled _______ they felt sleepy and went to bed. A. when B. before C. unless D. until
7. It was quite a long time _______ I made it out what had happened. A. after B. before C. when D. since
8. We sent the injured to the First-aid Centre_______ the accident happened. A. immediately B. hurriedly C. quickly D. shortly
9. It seemed only seconds ________ the boy finished washing his face. A. when B. before C. after D. even if
10. Hardly had he reached the school gate ________ the bell rang. A. while B. when C. as D. as soon as
11. I recognized you ________ I saw you at the airport. A. the moment B. while C. after D. once
12. He was about to go to bed ________ the doorbell rang. A. while B. as C. before D. when
13. ________I listen to your advice, I get into trouble. A. Every time B. When C. While D. Until
14. The children ran away from the orchard______ they saw the guard. A. the moment B. after C. before D. as
15. No sooner had I arrived home _____ it began to rain.
D. than BCDCC DBBCA A
16. Several weeks had gone by _____ I realized the painting was missing. A . as B. before C. since D. when
17. He will have learned English for eight years by the time he _____ from the university next year. A. will graduate B. will have graduated C. graduates D. is to graduate
18. It is said that an American starts a speech with a joke, _______ a Japanese seldom. A. as B when C though D while
19. They kept trying ________ they must have known it was hopeless. A. If B because C when D where
20. It _____ long before we ____ the result of the experiment. A. will not be; will know 21. –What was the party like? A. after B. before B. is; will know C. will not be ; know D. is; know
--Wonderful. It’s years _____ I enjoyed myself so much. D. since
22. The new secretary is supposed to report to the manager as soon as she_____. A. will arrive B. arrives C. is going to arrive D. is arriving
23. _____ got into the room _____ the telephone rang. A. He hardly had; then B. Hardly had he; when C. He had not; then D. Not had he; when
24. No sooner had he finished his talk _____ he was surrounded by the workers. A. as B. then C. than D. when
25. Mother was worried because little Alice was ill, especially _____ father was away in France. A. as B. that C. during D. if
26. I remember _____ this used to be a quiet village. A. when B. how C. where D. what
II. Fill in the blanks with proper conjunctions. 1. she got the pay, she put it away in the bank.
As soon as when
while When before
2. I was wandering through the street 3. He was drinking juice 4.
I caught sight of a tailor’s shop. the rest of us drank whisky.
you read the poem a second time, the meaning will become clearer to you. we came to a fisherman’s village.
5. We walked along the seaside about two hours
6. The sailor stayed on the lonely island 7. It was eight years
a ship passed there and saved him.
the Chinese people drove off the Japanese aggressors.
17. –Did you remember to give Mary the money you owed her? --Yes, I gave it to her _____ I saw her. A. while B. the moment C. suddenly D. once 18. I thought her nice and honest _____ I met her. A. first time B. for the first time C. the first time D. by the first time 20. The moment the 28th Olympic Games _____ open, the whole world cheered. A. declared B. have been declared C. have declared D. were declared 21. ---How long have you been here? ----Well, ________ I graduated from H.K. University. A. when B. aince C. as D. until
23. ______ at school, Jill wrote her first detective novel. A During B. Since C. While D. In
24. _______ a young man, he used to help his father a lot on the farm. A. As 26. e 27. It was midnight ________ we arrived at the destination at last. A. that B when C before D until B. When C. While D. Since
30.The two brothers quarreled and quarreled _______ they felt sleepy and went to bed. A. when B. before C. unless D. until
32.We sent the injured to the First-aid Centre_______ the accident happened. A. immediately B. hurriedly C. quickly D. Shortly
1. It was quiet ________ those big trucks started coming through the town. A. before B. after C. until D. unless 4.We were told that we should follow the main road _____ we reached the central railway station. A. whenever hile B. until C. w
8. _____ John was watching TV, his wife was cooking.
A. As B. As soon as C. While D. Till