What are the three essential elements for us human beings to survive on the earth?
Here are some proverbs about food:
is the staff of life. 民意食为天。 You are what you eat. 吃什么食物变什么样。 Eat to live, but do not live to eat. 为生活而饮食，莫过于为饮食而生活。
Do you know the English name of these food?
Everybody has to eat, but do you eat a healthy diet? Do you know that the food you eat helps you
grow in different ways?
Food that provides energy Fast energy food Slow energy food
Food that helps grow bones and muscle (e.g. bodybuilding food)
Food that helps the body fight diseases (e.g. protective food)
rice spaghetti chocolate potatoes bread
butter cream oils nuts
meat eggs cheese milk tofu
most vegetables (e.g. beans, peas, …) and fruit (e.g. apples, peaches, …)
What will happen to you if you do not eat a balanced diet?
What is healthy diet? Healthy diet: a diet that is balanced and neither too rich in fat, sugar and salt nor too poor and lacking in essential nutrients.
1. What do you think should go into a good meal? A good meal should contain some food from each of the three categories above. 2. Imagine you and your partner are going to invite some friends for dinner. What special food of your place would you offer them? Plan a menu.
3. Look at the title of the reading passage and the pictures is about. Predict what the passage is about.
listen to the text and find out which sentence is the main idea of the text.
1. The two restaurants supplied the healthy food. 2. The reason why Yong Hui's reataurant was so popular with customers. 3. Wang peng found out why he had lost his customer and decided to win them back
Scan the text and then choose the best answer according to the text.
1. What did Wang Peng do after Li Chang went away? A. He just sat in his restaurant feeling frustrated. B. He followed Li Chang to see why he didn’t eat with him. C. He did some research. D. He started advertising his food.
2. Which of the following did NOT appear on Yong Hui’s menu? A. Cabbage B. Cola C. Water D. Apples 3. What was the result of eating in Wang Peng’s restaurant? A. People often became thin very soon. B. People often became fat very soon. C. People often became tired quickly. D. People often became happy.
4.We can infer from the last sentence that _____ A. Wang Peng would learn from Yong Hui. B. Yong Hui would learn from Wang Peng. C. The competition had begun and would continue. D. The two restaurants would give up the competition.
What’s the main idea of each part? Part1: Wang peng felt frustrated because there was no customers to eat in his restaurant. Part2: Wang peng found the reason why his restaurant was empty. Part3: Worried, he does some research
to win his customer back.
Read the passage carefully and think about these statements. Tick the correct answers. Give reasons for your answers.
1. Usually Wang Peng’s restaurant was T 2. Yong Hui could make people thin in two weeks by giving them a good diet. F It would take longer than that. full of people.
3. Wang Peng’s regular customers often became fat. T 4. Yong Hui’s menu gave customers more energy-giving food. F No. It gave them protective food but no energy-giving or body-building food.
His menu gave customers energy-giving food. 5. Wang Peng’s menu gave customers
F 6. Wang Peng decided to compete with
F He decided to advertise the benefits of his menu! Yong Hui by copying her menu.
more protective food.
Compare the two restaurants. Wang Peng’s Yong Hui’s restaurant restaurant mutton kebabs; raw roast pork; stir- vegetables; fried vegetables; fruit fried rice cola; ice cream water
price strength of the diet
giving its make its customers customers energy-giving thin food the customers become tired quickly
weakness cause the of the customers to diet be fat
Retelling the story. Wang Peng sat in his empty restaurant feeling very __________ frustrated because his customers did not ______ come to his restaurant
as they _______ usually did. He felt very strange.
He ________ followed his friend to a newly opened
restaurant ______ which offered to make people
_____ thin in _____ two weeks.
full of customers. The new restaurant was ____
Worried, he did some research and tried
to _____ win his customers ______. back
1. Proper d_____ and exercise are both diet important for health. 2. Sunscreen provides a p_________ protective
layer against the sun’s harmful rays.
3. There are many types of wild mushrooms _________ (蘑菇) and some are poisonous. 4. We should decide after b_________ balancing the advantages and disadvantages. 5. If you like hot food you can add some p________ pepper(s) to it.
in different 1. People learn things ______ ways — some learn by doing; others by reading or by listening. 2. What has happened ______ such a to good man?
3. The meat of this kind of animal should not go ______ into the menu of the restaurant. 4. A man visiting his school wants to invite his teacher for ______ / to dinner.
Discuss these questions in pairs. 1. What do you think Wang Peng will provide to win his customers back? 2. How do you think the story will end?
Read the text aloud and retell the text.
(1) Use the first person to retell the story. (2) Try to use proper prepositions and