Unit 6 Mainly revision
gather v. 集合, 聚集 together adv.共同, 一起, 合起来 altogether adv.完全地, 总而言之 It looks as if …
It looks as if there will be a storm. not + 形容词/副词 + enough + 不定式 He is not old enough to go to school.
She didn’t run fast enough to catch you.
It seems that …
It seemed that life for her was rather hard. no matter who/what/when/where/how No matter how late he goes to bed, he always gets up early. No matter what she says, I won’t believe her.
August 12, 2004
1. deal with ?How shall we deal with the problem? 处理 ?The man is hard to deal with. 对付；对待 ?What is the best way of dealing with 对付；对待 the thieves? ?This book deals with problems of 论述/谈论（某问题） pollution. ?He made a speech at the conference, 论述/谈论（某问题） dealing with folk music.
2. “疑问词 ＋ 不定式”结构 ?When to start for Shanghai is not yet decided. ?Where to store the waste is still a problem.
3. get rid of 排除；摆脱；处理掉，去掉 ?You must get rid of all your worries and have a good rest. ?How can I get rid of the pain in the leg? ?We shall have to get rid of these old pictures.
4. without + -ing的被动式 ?He left the classroom without being permitted. ?She walked away from home on a dark night without being seen. ?He was lucky; he escaped from the burning house without being injured.
5. break up 驱散；打碎，拆散；分解 ?The police came and broke up the crowd. ?The ship was broken up on the rock. ?Sentences can be broken up into clauses, and clauses into phrases.
6. break down 分解;毁掉;中止;垮掉 ?Water can be broken down into hydrogen and oxygen. ?After many years, rocks break down into dirt. ?The old cars were broken down for their parts.
7. stop sb. (from) doing …
We all tried to stop him (from) smoking in bed, but he would still do it. 8. be against 违反，违背；反对 ?Lily married John. It was against her mother’s wishes. ?Are you for the decision or against it?
9. depend on 靠 … 决定；取决于 ?The price depends on the quality. ?Your success depends on your effort.
10. seek to do sth. 企图/试图（做某事）
was no use seeking to make peace between the two countries. ?We sought to change her mind but she refused. 另：seek 寻求，征求；设法得到 ?Most men seek wealth; all men seek happiness. ?You should seek advice from your teacher on this problem.