Can you list some words about food and drink?
Possible answers: apple potato beef
beans tomato carrot
water cola milk
A. What do you know about…
A1 Look at the picture below.
Match the food with the right
groups. Write the letters in the boxes.
a apples b beans c beef
d bread e chicken f eggs
g fish j oranges h milk k potatoes i noodles l rice
A2 Look at the picture in A1 again. In pairs, discuss the questions below.
There are five groups. They are fruit, vegetables, grains, protein and dairy products.
It means we need to have more vegetables than fruit, and more grains than protein every day.
B. Before you read
Look at the pictures, the title and the introduction to t conversation on page 83. Then answer the questions below.
C. Read the conversation
Doris and Samuel are having dinner in a restaurant.
Samuel: I think I’ll have a hamburger, some chocolate cake and a large cola. How does that sound to you?
Doris: That sounds terrible! I’ll have a chicken sandwich, a salad, an apple and a glass of lemon tea. I’ve decided to stay away from fried food and soft drinks. Samuel: Since when?
Doris: Since I had my medical examination. The doctor said that I needed to lose a bit of weight by avoiding fat, oil and sugar. He also stated that it’s necessary for me to have a more balanced diet.
Samuel: What’s a balanced diet? Doris: A balanced diet means having different kinds of healthy food every day. Research shows that each day you should have plenty of fruit, vegetables and grain products such as noodles and bread. And, in general you should have fewer dairy products and eggs, and less meat.
Samuel: But I believe my diet is balanced.
Doris: Really? Do you remember what you had today?
Samuel: Oh, the usual things. For breakfast, I had fried eggs and a large cup of coffee with a lot of milk and sugar. Then I treated myself to some ice cream for a snack. Doris: And for lunch?
Samuel: For lunch, I had six chicken wings and a cola.
Doris: I don’t understand how that is a balanced diet! Samuel: Well, I have many different kinds of food every day.
Doris: But all of these kinds of food are unhealthy for you. Samuel: OK, you’re right. I’ll change my diet … tomorrow. Here comes my hamburger and chocolate cake!
D. Listen to the conversation . Get its main
idea and answer the following questions.
1. What are they talking about? They are talking about balanced diet and their own diets. 2. Whose diet is healthier, Doris or Samuel’s? Doris’s diet is healthier than Samuel’s.
1. Joan should not go near computer games. She has to study for exams. (line 5) stay __________ away from 2. Before going to school, all of the students need a close look at their body by a doctor. (line 8) medical examination ___________ C1 instructions Find words from the conversation 3. The say in a clear way that on we need to cook this for fivesimilar minutes. (line 9) to page 83 that have meanings _____________ statethe words in italics below. Change their 4. Theforms film starts at seven and it is only five. We if necessary. have a large amount of time to get there. (line 13) plenty of ___________ 5. After the play, they went to dinner. David paid for Jim because Jim was out of money. (line 19) treated ____________
hamburger in general necessary research usual Most people think they eat what they want. However, (1) ____________ this is not really true. in general Our eyes and ears are filled with advertisements Research shows that for new food products. (2) ________ C2 Complete the article below with the these advertisements can change our eating habits. words from the box. Change their For example, 20 years ago in China, it was (3) forms if necessary. _________ for people to eat noodles or dumplings usual when they wanted fast food. Now, however, many people eat (4) ___________ hamburgers or fried food. The reason for the difference is advertising. We should be careful when we are choosing our food. Remember it is (5) _________ necessary to think before we eat.
Samuel’s dinn Doris’s dinn er er
fruit * a hamburger _________ * a chicken _______ * plenty of ______ Read the first fifteen lines and filland in gr vegetables _ sandwich _, ________ thechoc blanks. ain products such salad * some * a _______ noodles bread _______ and ___ olate cake cola * an apple as ___. dairy products * a large _____ * a glass of * fewer _________ lemon tea _________ and eggs meat * less ________
Look through the rest of the conversation and decide whether the statements are true (T) or false (F).
1. Samuel has many different kinds of food every day, so his diet is balanced. 2. Doris doesn’t think Samuel’s diet is healthy.
D1 Read the conversation on page
83 and decide whether the sentences are T (True) or F (False). Then rewrite the false sentences with the correct information.
1. Doris should avoid food with oil, fat and salt in order to lose weight. T/F __________________________________ Doris should avoid food with oil, fat and sugar in order to lose weight. __________________________________ 2. A balanced diet means eating different kinds of delicious food every day. T / F __________________________________ A balanced diet means eating different kinds of healthy food every day. __________________________________
3. We should not eat too many dairy products and eggs, or too much meat. T / F __________________________________ __________________________________ 4. Samuel’s diet is not balanced. T / F __________________________________ __________________________________
D2 Read the conversation again and circle
the correct answers.
1. Doris does not want fried food and soft drinks because they are ________. a unhealthy b expensive 2. Doris is having ________ for dinner. a bread, dairy products, vegetables and fruit b bread, meat, vegetables and fruit
3. To have a balanced diet, you should eat ______ meat than vegetables and grain products. a more b less 4. Samuel’s diet is full of _______. a fat, oil and sugar b fruit, vegetables and grains 5. In this conversation, a “diet” is the food _______. a you usually eat and drink b you eat in order to lose weight
What should you eat to have a balanced diet? Discuss this with your classmates.
Possible answers: some meat no fast food …