Life in the future
adj. 时常发生的; 连续不断的 n. 喷气式飞机 adj. 在前的; 早先的 adj. 不确切的; 无把握的 n. 指导; 向导; 导游 vt. 指引;指导 tablet n. 药片 capsule n. 太空仓; 胶囊 stewardess
constant jet previous uncertain guide
Words preview opening n. 通路; 出口; 开端 sideways adv. 一侧; 侧着; 侧面朝前 surrounding n. 周围的事物; 环境 adj. 周围的 tolerate vt. 容忍; 忍受 lack vi. & vt. 缺乏; 没有 n.缺乏; 短缺的东西 adjustment n. 调整; 调节 mask n. 面具; 面罩; 伪装
Words preview carriage n. 四轮马车; 客车 press vt. & vi. 按; 压; 逼迫 n.按; 压; 印刷; 新闻 fasten vt. 系牢; 扎牢 safety n. 安全 belt n. 腰带; 皮带 flash vt. & vi. 闪光; 闪现 switch n. 开关 vt. 转换 timetable n. 时间表; 时刻表
Expressions preview take up be back on one’s feet lose sight of sweep up slide into
拿起; 接受; 开始; 恢复; 完全复原 看不见…… 打扫; 横扫 移动…… 溜进……
1 make a list of the problems human beings are facing today. Housing 2 Which problems do you think Population people will have overcome in one Pollution thousand years? Global warming (greenhouse effect) 3 Which ones do you think will still Traffic exist in AD 3008? Give your reasons. Hunger Literacy….
Listen to the tape of the passage carefully while reading. Try to the main idea.
What ’s the main idea of the passage? It’s mainly about Li Qiang’s future
Now try to find out what happened to Li Qiang before, during and after the journey.
Read the text quickly, then put the following sentences into the correct order: a. We were transported into the future by a comfortable time capsule. b. I arrived at Wang Ping’s home and everything in his house made me surprised. c. I won a travel to the year AD 3008. d. I had my first try to master a hovering carriage. c-------a-------b------d
Go through the text again, then answer the following questions: 1 Why did Li Qiang go into the future? 2 How did he feel when he left his own time? 3 How did he get to the year 3008? 4 What did he notice first when he arrived in AD 3008? 5 What else did he find that was different?
1 Why did Li Qiang go into the future? Li Qiang went into the future because he had won a prize that gave him a tour. 2 How did he feel when he left his own time? He felt rather anxious when he left his own time but soon got it over.
3 How did he get to the year 3008? He went by time capsule. 4 What did he notice first when he arrived in AD 3008? The first thing he noticed was the poor quality of the air and it gave him a headache.
5 What else did he find that was different? He found several things that were different: a mask to give him enough oxygen.
Go through the first two paragraphs quickly, then answer the following questions:
1. Why did I have the chance to travel to the year AD 3008? 2. What is a “time lag”? 3. Why did my guide give me some tablets? 4. Who transported us to the future?
1. Why did I have the chance to travel
to the year AD 3008? I took up the prize I won the year before. 2. What is a “time lag”? “Time lag’’ means a person gets flashbacks from his previous(先前的) time period.
3. Why did my guide give me some
tablets? The tablets could help me feel less nervous and uncertain. 4. Who transported us to the future? Wang Ping’s parents’ company transported us to the future.
Please go through the third paragraph, then try to answer the following questions.
1. How did I feel as soon as I was transported to the future? I was hit by the lack of fresh air. 2. How did Wang Ping solve this problem? Wang Ping gave a mask to me and hurried me through to a small room nearby to have a rest.
3. What do you think has caused this
kind of problem?
Now we are causing more and more pollution to the Earth, which will cause serious problems to the life in the
future. This may be the cause of the
lack of fresh air in the future.
Read the fourth paragraph quickly, then answer the following questions:
1. What did Wang Ping’s house look like? His house wass a large, bright, clean room. It had a green wall, a brown floor and soft lighting.
2. What was the green wall made of ?
What’s the purpose of building this
kind of green wall? The green wall was made of trees. The leaves of the trees will provide much-needed oxygen to the house.
Write down the main idea for each paragraph in you own words. Then add the important details. Paragraph 1- main idea: How I came to take a time travel journey. details: my prize; my excitement
Paragraph 2- main idea: The journey details: how I felt; the spaceship; the journey Paragraph 3- main idea:My impressions of life one thousand years into the future details: little oxygen; masks to provide oxygen; hovering carriage; how to drive them; a “time lag” moment
Paragraph 4- main idea: Staying in Wang Ping’s home details: appearance of house; trees as walls; where furniture stored; ate meal; prepared for sleep
The reading passage describes some good and bad changes to life in AD 3008. In pairs, discuss which changes are good or bad and give reasons for your choices. Then write down your ideas in the chart. There is no right or wrong answer.
Good changes Bad changes Time travel Transport Houses Towns Air quality
can travel to Time different times travel as you wish
after-effects of travel
disorganized; Tran- can move swiftly difficult to find sport way Houses save living space short of space
Good changes Bad changes Towns Air busy; look like markets own family poor quality in easy to get lost
quality oxygen supply public places
What’s the writer’s attitude towards the future, optimistic or pessimistic? How do you know?
We know that from the following sentences: 1. Worried about the journey, I was unsettled for the first few days. 2. Confused by the new surroundings, I was hit by the lack of the fresh air. 3. Exhausted, I slid into bed and fell fast asleep.
What should we do to make sure we will have a bright future? We should try to learn to accept changes and appreciate what is new and different. And we should learn more knowledge to fit in with the needs of the society．
1. Can you explain the meaning of E-learning? “E-learning” means to learn on the Internet. That is to say, we can study by watching educators on TV or on a computer screen, whenever we have time and wherever we are．
2. How will people shop in the future?
People can do online shopping (on the Internet) and they can go to a pleasant
mall using smart cards． smart mall cards E-commerce
3. Why is e-commerce becoming more and more popular?
People discover the advantages of online shopping . The Internet also makes it easier
for companies to keep in touch with
customers and companies in other
4. How will people travel in the future? We'll travel by car／taxi／bus／ train cleaner
that burns new fuels and uses new faster engines that will let us travel without worrying about whether we are safer
polluting the environment. well-developed maglev train
5. What will schools be like in the future? In the future, there may be more“ schools on the air ” and “e-schools”. We can study at home by watching educators on TV or on a computer screen. Instead of being
students only when we are young, we’ll
become life-long learners.
6. What will the future be like in general? In general, the future will be brighter and ourexamine life will be more convenient …to some of the major ． If we learn to accept change and trends in contemporary society. appreciate what is new and different, we will be well-prepared for whatever the future may have in store.
Make a telephone conversation between Li Qiang and his mother according to the text.
1. take up 1) to accept an offer or challenge that someone has made 接受(建议或挑战) Are you going to take up the challenge of lasting a whole week without arguing? 坚持一周内不争吵, 你打算接受这一 挑战吗？
2) to become interested in a particular activity or subject 对…..开始喜欢 Glenn has taken up pottery. 格伦已经开始喜欢陶艺。 3) to start a new job or have a new responsibility 开始从事……开始承担 She took up her first teaching post in 1950. 1950年她走上第一个教学岗位。
take for 把……错认为 take in 包括; 理解; 参观; 欺骗 take off 脱下; 起飞 take on 雇佣; 呈现; 接受 take up with 开始与……亲密交往 take out 带(某人)出去; 取出; 除去 take over 接管; 接手; 接任 take to 喜欢上; 对……产生好感
2. constantly adv. 经常地; 不断地 The area was constantly hit by drought. 这地区经常遭到旱灾。 His report was constantly interrupted by applause. 他的报告频频为掌声所打断。
3. surrounding adj. in surrounding areas surroundings n. 只用复数 surroundings 周围的事物; 环境; 气氛
The house is situated in very pleasant
4. tolerate v. 忍受; 容忍; 容许; 宽恕 He could not tolerate the extremes of heat in the desert. 他忍受不住沙漠的酷热. I can't tolerate your bad manners any longer. 我再也不能容忍你无礼的行为。
5. lose sight of 1)看不见 It was so dark he lost sight of him at once. I’ve lost sight of Smith. 2)忘记; 忽略 No matter how rich and famous he became, he never lost sight of the fact that he had been born in the slums.
拓展： catch sight of 望见，看到 in sight 在视线内 out of sight 看不见了 set one’s sights (on) 为求; 志在…… take sight 瞄准 within sight of 已能看到，在……在望
Short Forms 缩略语
S P O Att Adv Com Pre C
subject predicate object attribute adverbial complement predicative clause
主语 谓语 宾语 定语 状语 补语 表语 从句
Difficult sentences analysis
1.Worried about the journey, I was unsettled for the first few days.
我很担心这次旅行, 所以头几天心 里总是不踏实。
worried about the journey 为过去分 词作状语, 在此处作原因状语。 worried adj. 焦虑的; 烦恼的; 担忧的 worrisome adj. 使人烦恼或焦虑的
2. This is similar to the “jet lag” you get from flying, but it means you keep getting flashbacks from your previous time period. 这种病有些像乘喷气式飞机高速飞行时 所引起的时差反应那样，所不同的是, 它意味着你的脑海里不停地从以前的时 间段一直往回闪去。
keep doing sth. 继续做某事 It kept raining for a week. 接连下了一星期雨。 辨析:keep doing sth. 与keep on doing sth. 这两个短语都表示每隔一段时间就发生 的动作, 这时可互换; keep doing sth. 强调 动作的连续性和客观性, 而keep on doing sth.强调动作的重复性或动作执行者 的决心, 常含有一定的感情色彩。
1. Review the key sentences
in the text.
2. Review the new words in Unit 3 and get ready for the dictation.