1. otherwise 连词，“否则；要不然”，相当于 or，or else 或 if not .
We’ll go early，otherwise we may not get a seat. Seize the chance，otherwise you will regret it. I was ill that day，ot
herwise I would have taken part in the sports meet. We didn’t know you were in trouble at that time， otherwise we would have given you a hand.
二. otherwise 用作副词，具有下列意义：
1. 意为“另外；别样”。相当于 differently 或 in another way .
He obviously thinks otherwise. We were going to play football，but it was so hot that we decided to do otherwise.
2. 意为“在其他方面”。相当于 in other or different ways.
The rent is high，but otherwise the house is satisfactory. He is noisy，but otherwise a nice boy.
3. 意为“相反地；要不然；否则”。相当于 in the other way 或 on the contrary ：
He is guilty until proved otherwise. He reminded me of what I should otherwise have forgotten. I hate her and I won’t pretend otherwise.
1. 意为“另外的；不那样的；不同的”。相当于 not as supposed 或 in a different state . The truth is quite otherwise. 事实真相与此大相径庭。 Our struggle can not be otherwise than victorious. 我们的斗争一定会胜利的。 How can it be otherwise than fatal？ 这怎么会不致命呢？ 2. 意为“其他方面的；其他性质的”。 Some are wise，some are otherwise. 有些人聪明，有些人则不然。
1. and otherwise 意为“等等；及其他”。
In the kindergarten，the children learn singing， dancing，drawing and otherwise. She helped me with advice and otherwise.
2. or otherwise 意为“或相反；或其反面”。 Everybody has his merits or otherwise. He is not concerned with its accuracy or otherwise.