liquid, expand, form, steam, boil, float, aim, stage, ordinary, balance 1. stage a particular time or state that something reach
es as it
grows or develops 2. form 3. liquid to start to exist and develop a substance that flows freely and is not a solid or a gas,
for example water or oil
4. ordinary not unusual or different in any way 5. expand to become greater in size, number or importance
liquid, expand, form, steam, boil, float, aim, stage, ordinary, balance 6. steam 7. boil 8. float the hot gas that water changes into when it boils to heat a liquid so that it is got enough to turn into gas to move slowly on water or in the air
9. balance an instrument used for weighing things 10. aim the purpose of doing sth.
用适当的介词填空 1. In conclusion, we cannot be successful without effort and hard work. 2. The police are building a picture of the accident stage by stage. 3. He aimed his gun at the tree but hit the car by mistake. 4. The factory is equipped with modern machinery. 5. He put all the tables in order in the classroom. 6. She is standing at the top of the stairs. 7. We learned the truth about the matter from our teacher. 8. I’ll make sure of the time of the flight.
Do you know them?
Charles Darwin Thomas Edison
Match the following words.
Alfred Nobel Darwin
Thomas Edison Albert Einstein 3.biology
Look at the pictures. Do you know the names of the equipment？
Let’s get to know some metals?
Do you know how we can carry out an experiment successfully?
What is the correct order to describe the stages of a scientific experiment?
conclusion aim result method
electrical adj. 用电的，与电有关的 electricity n. 电
equipment n. 设备，装备
react vi. （化学）反应 reaction n. 反应 oxide n. 氧化物 steam n. 蒸汽， 水气
Read Passage A and choose the best title for it.
? The Different Uses of Metals ? The Reaction of Metals
? The Reaction of Metals with Oxygen
Your chemistry teacher Miss Bai will ask you the following questions. Can you answer them correctly? 1. Which metals reacts the most with oxygen and water? Potassium, calcium and sodium. 2. What happens when you heat calcium in oxygen? It burns to form an oxide. 3. Which metals reacts with steam? Magnesium, aluminum and zinc. 4. Does iron have a slow or fast reaction with steam? It has a slow reaction. 5. Does copper react with water? No, it doesn’t.
What’s the difference between the pictures?
Read the passage and complete the table.
nails Iron does not rust. Iron does not rust. Iron rusts.
Complete the passage using what we’ve learnt in this lesson.
1. In the first part of the experiment, the ____ air is dry. It shows that iron ___________ in dry doesn’t rust air. boil 2. In the second part, you must _____ the make sure water to ______ _______ that there is no air in it. ________ some oil to the water can ______ Adding keep the air out of it. It shows that _____ don’t rust nails air-free in ____________ water. 3. In the third part, _______ the tube with half-fill water. It shows that they rust in _________ ordinary water.
1. —How did he react ______ the punishment that they gave
him for the shoplifting?
—He was very angry.
A. with B. on
C. to D. upon
【解析】选C。“对……作出反应”用react to. . . , 而react
with. . . 表示“与……发生化学反应”。
2. ______ of the land in that district ______ covered with trees and grass. A. Two-fifth; is C. Two-fifths; is ［2011北京高一检测］ B. Two-fifth; are D. Two-fifths; are
【解析】选C。考查分数。分子大于一时 , 表示分母的序数 词加s; 分数修饰的名词作主语时 , 谓语动词的单复数与该名 词保持一致。所以正确答案为C。
【规律总结】（1）英语中对分数的考查 , 一般都与主 谓一致结合起来一起考查。做此类题目时 , 除了掌握分数的 正确表达方式 , 还要熟悉主谓一致的用法。 （2）“分数/百分数+of+名词或代词”作主语 , 谓语动词的
数意义的代词 , 其谓语用复数形式; 若指不可数名词 , 谓语动 词则用单数。
3. —Has Mary come back yet?
—Yes. She has got many books from her elder schoolmates ,
which ______ 1 , 000. ［2011台州高一检测］
A. add up
C. add to
B. add up to
add up to总计 , 总和是; add to增添 , 增加; 题干中想表达的 是书籍的总数有1 000 本。所以正确答案为B。
【易错解读】做此题时 , 由于add up与add up to只一 词之差 , 它们的含义容易混淆 , 易误选A项。add up意为
“把……加起来” , 放在此题干中逻辑不当 , 意义不通顺。
所以一定要分清两个短语的形式 , 搞清它们的含义 , 做出正 确的选择。
4. This disease has been very ______ among ______ people in
this area in the 1980’s.
A. common; usual B. usual; ordinary
C. common; ordinary
D. ordinary; usual
【解析】选C。common 普遍的 , 常见的; usual 通常的 , 惯
例的; ordinary 普通的 , 平凡的; ordinary people 普通老百
5. We must ______ the truth of the matter. A. find out C. find B. look for D. discover
【解析】选A。find out查明 , 弄清楚; look for 寻找; find发 现 , 找到; discover 发现（早已存在但不为人知的事物）。句 意为：我们必须弄清楚事情的真相。