I. Words and Phrases
1. survey n. / vt. 概观(眺望), 概论, 调查, 测量 make the following survey 作下列调查 make a survey of 纵观 / 调查某事 ?We surveyed the night view from Lianhua mount
ain ?They started surveying the coast ?This article surveyed the history of China. ?I’m not good at making a general survey of matters. ?The reporter made a survey of river pollution
2. Add up your score and see how many points you can get. Add sth up / together 把…加起来
Add these numbers up, please. Add vt./vi 补充(说) May I add a point? “I don’t believe it,” he added.
Add sth to sth 把…加进… Add to 增加 (increase) Add up to 共计是…
Will you add more sugar to your coffee?
The news added to his anxiety.
His income adds up to 1000 yuan a month. 联想记忆 addition 附加物 additional 附加的 address 地址
n.点、分数、要点 v. 用手指、指向
转入正题 没听懂 离题
切题 指出 指向
Get\ come to the point Miss the point Off the point To the point Point to Point at
4…and you had to pay to get it repaired. Get sth done 让…被做…
You’ll get the work finished on time.
I couldn’t get the car started this morning.
Go and get your hair cut.
She got her fingers caught in the door.
5…ask you to help him cheat in the exam by looking at your paper. cheat in the exam 考试舞弊 cheat at cards 打牌作弊 The man cheated the old lady (out) of her gold ring. He cheated me into giving him all my money.
1. share the list with your partners. share sth. with sb. 与某人分享… He hasn’t got a book yet, will you share yours with him? 将来我们得同甘共苦. We’ll have to share our sorrows and joys in the future. 我们有共同的兴趣. We share the same interests.
2…can’t understand what you are going through? go through 经历，经受, 穿过, 浏览 ? Can the table go through the door? ? He would go through fire and water for his country. ? How long will it take you to go through the book. go through with sth. 完成某事 ? It took him two years to go through with his computer program.
3.Anne Frank wanted the first kind, so she made her diary her best friend.
make sth / sb. +n. Zhang Yimou made Zhang Ziyi a popular movie star. make sth / sb +adj. What you did made me crazy. make sth / sb +v. Don’t try to make me laugh, I’m upset.
4.set down =write down/put down 写下，记下，放下 请在这儿写下你的名字. ? Please set down your name here. ? The police asked the man to set down what he had seen in a report. ? He entered the house, set down his heavy bag and asked some water to drink.
5.a series of 一系列，一连串 We need to read a series of English books to improve our English.
Every day a class teacher has a series of problems to settle.
There has been a series of car accidents at the crossing. I’m watching a series of TV play on Channel 6.
6. I wonder if it’s because I haven’t been able to be outdoors for so long that I’ve grown so crazy about everything to do with nature. grow/be crazy about sth. 为……痴迷,为……疯狂 The boys are crazy about the girl singer. 以如此高的价格买这辆车,你真疯狂. It’s crazy of you to buy the car at such a high price.
7. For example, when it was so warm, I stayed awake on purpose until half past eleven one evening in order to have a good look at the moon for once by myself. stay awake 不睡觉 stay single 打光棍 stay still 保持原状 stay open 一直开着 stay closed 一直关着
8. on purpose 故意地 ? I think she lost the key on purpose. 9. in order to do sth. 为了，以…为目的 in order not to do sth. in order for sb. to do sth. ? They did anything in order to make money.
He worked hard in order for his son to go to college.
He started early in order not to be late.
10. But as the moon gave far too much light, I didn’t dare open a window. too much +不可数名词 much too +adj./adv. 实在太…… much too expensive too much light
too much也可单独作为名次成分作主语、表语或宾 语。
He said too much on this subject.
11.face to face 面对面地
They stood there, face to face. The Red Army had a face-to-face struggle against the enemy.
hand in hand side by side shoulder to shoulder arm in arm
II. Sentence Structures
1.Your friend comes to school very upset. =Your friend comes to school and he is very upset. 1. Many famous poets have died young. 2. Tom came home very tired. 3. He went to bed cold and hungry.
2. While walking the dog, you were careless and it got loose and was hit by a car. =While you are walking the dog, you were careless and it got loose and was hit by a car.
While staying in Beijing, he visited Mr. Wang. When asked, he made no answer. 在时间、条件、让步状语从句中，如果 从句的主语和主句的主语相同，可以省 略从句中的主语和be动词。
he was walking in the street, he came across one of his friends.
=When walking in the street, he came across one of his friends. 2.I met her while I was on my way to work. =I met her while on my way to work. 3.Though he is young, he is experienced.
=Though young, he is experienced.
3.You will tell him that he should have studied, so you don’t let your friend look at your paper. should have done sth. 过去本来应该做某事而实际上未做 ? You should have told him the news. ? You are too lazy! The work should have been finished hours ago. ??不该做而实际却做了 你昨天不应该不辞而别
You should not have left without saying goodbye.
1. Explain the exact meanings of the following sentences from the Reading
1) Do you know a friend whom you could tell everything to, like your deepest feelings and thoughts?
I often go to the cinema with Shirley who is my best friend. This is Mr. Zhang who will teach you maths.
2.Dare (1)Dare可作情态动词，一般用在否定 句，疑问句，和条件状语从句中，后跟动 词原形，有自己的过去式dared。 e.g. ? He dared not go near the dog. ? If you dare speak to me like that again, you will be sorry. ? He dares go out at night. (错句) ? He dares not go out at night. (错句)
(2)Dare也可作实义动词dare + to do sth. 但 在否定句和疑问句也可省略to
? Do you dare（ to） jump off the high wall? ? She doesn’t dare（ to）say anything。
3.I wonder if it’s because I haven’t been able to be outdoors for so long that I’ve grown so crazy about everything to do with nature.
?It was I that (who) saw Tom yesterday in the park. ?It was Tom that I saw yesterday in the park. ?It was yesterday that I saw Tom in the park.
?It was in the park that I saw Tom yesterday . It is\was+被强调的部分+that+句子的其余部分
I saw Tom yesterday in the park.
4. It was the first time in a year and a half that I’d seen the night face to face…… It is the first time that + 现在完成时 It was the first time that+过去完成时
This is the first time that I have visited the Great Wall. had That was the first time that I _____ visited the Great Wall.
Finish the Exercise 1-3 in Learning about Language.