外研版 高二 (7) Module 2
Reading & vocabulary (3)
Read the passage for the first time and answer the questions. 1. What are after-school activities? Can you gi
ve some examples?
Activities that take place when school
has finished. For example: baseball.
2. Why are after-school activities
considered so important? Because they develop social skills
such as leadership, and allow
students to develop individual talents.
3. Why are competitive sports considered so important? Because many Americans believe that
being able to compete properly is
important. 4. What happens in summer camps?
The students take part in different outdoor activities.
Answer the questions.
ability academic after-school backpacking water skiing
1. Why is the ability to get on with people important? So that you can work and play with people successfully in society.
2. Can you name three academic subjects? For example, maths, biology, physics,
history, geography--3. Where would you like to go backpacking? open
4. Why are after-school activities given
this name? Because they take place outside lesson time. 5. Do you need a boat to go water
skiing? You need a boat to pull the water-skier.
Read the passage again and complete the sentences. 1. What employers and colleges want are ______________________________ students who have skills in several _____. areas 2. Getting on with other students is very important considered ______________.
3. Football and basketball are examples of competitive sports __________________.
4. For some parents, academic success is
not as important_______________ as learning how
____________________. to compete successfully
5. In the summer camps, children
__________________________ take part in different kinds of outdoor
6. Younger children go to summer
camps, but most older children ______________________________. go camping with groups of friends 7. Backpacking in the mountains of the west is popular ________________________. with older students
1. The development of social skills is considered as important as the development of intellectual skills. consider考虑 The problem is being considered.
Have you considered how to get there?
They are considering operating the
We considered him our close friend.
We consider it a great honour to be invited to the party. He is considered to have invented the bike. consider...as...view…as value…as regard...as/treat...as.../look on...as.../think of...as.../take...as
2. outdoor activities adj.
He’s not really an outdoor type.
It’s cold outdoors.
It’s warm enough to eat outdoors
Farm workers spend most of their time outdoors. 农民大部分时间都在户外。 n. the great outdoors 露天, 郊外, 旷野 I couldn’t live in London, I enjoy the great outdoors too much. 我住不了伦敦，我酷爱郊外的环境。
3. be likely to get summer jobs or go
The train is likely to be late. 这趟火车很可能晚点。
It is very likely that he will not consent.
很可能他不会同意。 They’ll quite likely buy a new car this year. 他们今年可能会买辆新车。 I’ll very likely be at home all day. 我可能整天都呆在家里。
alike adj. 相同的, 相似的 adv. 以同样的方式, 类似于 They dress and walk alike. 他们的穿着和走路姿态十分相似。 These twins are very much alike. 这对双胞胎非常相象。 He treats all customers alike.