高二选修6 Unit 4
1. What do you think green house gases
br />一般疑问句主句的谓语动词是think, believe，suppose，consider, imagine， guess和suggest等时，表疑问的词要 放在主句前即句首。
? 例如： [正] Who do you think will win in the game? [误] Do you think who will win in the
? 当然一般情况下宾语从句的疑问词 应放在主句之后，例如： [误] Why do you know we can’t cut down the big tree? [正] Do you know why we can’t cut down the big tree?
2. So how has this come about and does it matter?
[考点] come about是不及物短语，意为 “发生”。 Please tell me how the accident _____. I am still in the dark. (2005 江西) A. came by B. came out 得到，获得 出来， 露出 C. came to 达到 D. came about
It’s already 10 o’clock. I wonder how it ____ that she was two hours late on such a short trip. (湖北2006) A. came over B. came out C. came about D. came up [点拨] 根据句意“已经十点钟了。我不知 道是怎么回事，这么短的路程她迟到了两 个小时。”选C。come over来访；come out出来，出版；come up出现，到来。
3. There is no doubt that the earth is becoming warmer and that it is human activity that has caused this global warming rather than a random but natural phenomenon. There is no doubt that…. There is some doubt whether…. 辨析：主句为肯定句时，doubt后使用 连词whether。主句为否定句时， doubt后则使用连词that。
There’s no doubt that one day a
cure will be found.
There is little doubt that he was the killer.
[考点1] There is no doubt that ...是固定句 型，意为“毫无疑问……”，that引导的 是同位语从句，用来进一步补充说明 doubt的具体内容。 [考例] Some researchers believe that there is no doubt ______ a cure for AIDS will be found. (广东2005) A. which B. that C. what D. whether [点拨] 根据固定搭配there is no doubt that ...可知选B。
[考点2] it is ... that ...在此句中构成强调句 型，强调的是主语human activity。强调句 型除谓语不能强调外，可强调主语、宾语 或状语。 [考例1] It is not who is right but what is right ______ is of importance. (重庆2007) A. which B. it C. that D. this [点拨] 根据强调句型的判断方法：将it is和 that去掉后，此句成为Not who is right but what is right is of importance，是一个完 整的句子，故此题是一个强调句型。
[考例2] I don’t mind her criticizing me, but ______ is how she does it that I object to. (江西2007) A. it B. that C. this D. which [点拨] 去掉it is和that后，本句相当于..., but I object to how she does it，是个完 整的句子。故此句是it强调句型，被强 调部分是宾语从句。
4. amount of 习惯用语： an amount of 相当数量的; 一些 any amount (of) 任何数量(的); 大量 (的) be of little amount 不重要; 无价值
large amounts of money 大量的金钱
In an invoice the amount of money
should be written both in words and
5．Without the ‘green house effect’,
the earth would be about thirty-three
degrees Celsius cooler than it is.
短语有：without, but for, but that,
otherwise, or, but等。
例如： Without your help ( = If we had not had your help), we could not have succeeded． 要是没有你的帮助，我们是不会成功 的。
But for electricity (= If there were no
electricity), there would be no modem
He was having a meeting with his
students; otherwise he would have come.
He felt very tired yesterday, or he would have attended the party． 他昨天很累, 不然他就参加那个聚会
6. It was a scientist called Charles Keeling who made accurate measurements of the amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere from 1957 to 1997. [翻译] 是一位名叫查尔斯· 奎林的科学家 把1957至1997年期间大气层中二氧化碳的 含量作了精确的统计。 [点拨] 该句是一个it was ... who强调句。a scientist called Charles Keeling是被强调 部分，其中called Charles Keeling为过去 分词短语作后置定语，修饰a scientist。
7. result in 导致, 造成 =lead to The accident resulted in three people being killed. 这一事故导致他的死亡。
The accident resulted in his death.
8. On the other hand, there are those, like George Hambley, who are opposed to this view, believe that we should not worry about high levels of carbon dioxide in the air. [翻译] 在另一方面, 还有一些人，对这 一观点持反对态度，像科学家乔治· 汉 布利，他们认为我们不必担心空气中高 含量的二氧化碳。
[点拨] 该句是一个主从复合句。主句为 there are those，like scientist George Hambley作句子的插入语，who引导的 定语从句修饰those，且在该定语从句中 其谓语动词believe又带有that引导的宾 语从句。句子的主要部分可以表示为: ... there are those who believe that ...
on the other hand: used to give
another opinion or fact that should
be considered as well as the one you
have just given 另一方面
also on the one hand. .. on the other
I’d like to eat out, but on the other
hand I should be trying to save money. I want to go to the party, but on the other hand I ought to be studying. 我想去参加聚会，但从另一方面来 说，我应该留下来学习。
9. consequence ? in consequence 因此 ? as a consequence 结果 ? as a consequence of 由于…的结果
? in /within range 在射程之内 ? out of / beyond range 在射程之外
11. build up
? Build up the business develop 扩大, 发展 ? Sediment (沉淀物)builds up on the ocean floor. collect 累积, 收集 ? This built up my hope after the interview. 增加, 支持, 树立
12. even if /though: used to emphasize that, although something may happen or may be
true, it will not change a situation
? I wouldn't tell you even if I knew.
? Even if she survives, she’ll never
? Even though he’s 24 now, he’s still
like a little child.
? I can still remember, even though
it was so long ago.
I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母 或汉语提示，写出各单词的正确形式。 1. A large q______ of rice is badly needed quantity here. range 2. Students are from a wide r______ of backgrounds. 3. She studied hard, and in consequence c____________ she passed the exam. 4. The park attracts 4 million visitors p___ per year.
fuel 5. What sort of ______ (燃料) do these machines need? data 6. The ______ (数据) is still being analysed. So don’t be so worried. 7. The earthquake was a terrible catastrophe _____________ (大灾难). 8. A rainbow is a natural ___________ (现 phenomenon 象) especially after a heavy rain. graph 10. The ______ (曲线图) of export indicates a new success of the company.
II. 根据句意, 选择适当的单词或短语填空 1. climate; weather a. It’s very difficult for her to get used to the dry and cold climate there. ______ b. How we wish the sunnyweather could ______ keep up for another several days! 2. come about; come across a. I’ve never ___________ anyone quite come across like her before. b. Please tell me how the accident came about I am still in the dark. __________.
3. quantity; quality a. Much of the land was of poor quality ______. quantities b. Buy vegetables in small __________, for your immediate use. 4. result in; result from resulted in a. The accident ___________ the death of three people. resulted from b. His failure ______________ not working hard enough.
5. glance; glare; stare a. He ______ angrily at her across glared the dinner table. stared b. She ______ at the page for several minutes, trying to understand. c. She glanced round the room before ______ she left.
III. 每空一词, 使两个句子的意思相同。 1. It was very late, but they went on working. kept on It was very late, but they ___ ___ working. 2. We don’t doubt that he can do a good job. There is no doubt ____ _____ ___ ___ ___ that he can do a good job. 3. Their carelessness led to the failure. Their carelessness resulted__ the failure. ______ in
4. I don’t know how the accident happened. came about I don’t know how the accident ____ ______. 5. The factory turns out a large number of paper products. The factory turns out ______ _____ ______ large quantities of ________ paper products. / a lot of 6. Although they raise the price, he’s going to buy the farm. He’s going to buy the farm ______ ______ even if / though they raise the price.
IV. 根据括号内的提示将下列句子翻译 成英语。 1.他的粗鲁导致了孩子和他的争吵。 (result in) His rudeness resulted in the child’s quarreling with him. 2. 他们不知道这个变化是怎样产生的。 (come about) They didn’t know how the change had come about.
3. 他以优质的服务使生意逐步兴隆起 来。(build up) He built up his business by good service. 4. 邻居们让他们停止制造噪音, 但他们 仍然继续。(keep on) The neighbours asked them to stop making a noise, but they still kept on.
5. 不用担心, 我们已经储藏了很多食 物。(quantities of) Don’t worry. We have stored quantities of food already. 6. 那个老人瞥了一下他的手表, 然后看 了看天空。(glance at) The old man glanced at his watch and then looked at the sky.