World AIDS Day symbol Image Ambassador
What is AIDS?
odeficiency syndrome, AIDS）。这是一种 慢性致死性传染病，由人类免疫缺陷病毒（human immunodeficiency virus, HIV）引起。
小姑娘的双手因为 艾滋病感染变得 红肿不堪
Aids is so terrible , what can we do to protect ourselves?
“An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.”
HIV/AIDS: ARE YOU AT RISK?
Read the poster, then answer the questions:
1. What’s a virus?What can it cause? 2. How does HIV affect people’s health?
is the difference between
1.What’s a virus? What can it cause?
A virus is a very small living thing.
It can cause disease.
2. How does HIV affect people’s health?
weakens a person’s immune
system and eventually it damages
the immune system so much that
the body can no longer fight
3. What is the difference between AIDS and HIV?
? HIV is a virus.
? AIDS is the stage of the
illness caused by HIV.
Skan the poster (2min)and try to match each paragraph with its main idea. Part1(para1, 2): Ways to protect yourself. Part2:(para3,4) Some wrong statements. Part3(para5) AIDS and its
Part1.AIDS and the spreading ways
1.How is HIV spread among people?? ? 2. Is there a cure for AIDS and HIV at the moment?
1.How is HIV spread among people?
HIV is spread through blood or sexual fluid.
2. Is there a cure for AIDS and HIV at the
moment? incurable How to stop the deadly disease
Part (2，3) True
1. You can only get HIV from injecting drugs. 2. It is very likely that you will die if you get infected with HIV. 3. If you look healthy, you cannot have HIV.
4.Taking food from the same dishes as someone infected with HIV will give you HIV too.
5. If you have HIV, you will always get
6. It is dangerous to have sex with someone without using a condom. 7.You will become infected with HIV by swimming in the same pool with someone carrying HIV.
8.People who have HIV look different from everyone else.
Look at the pictures, decide whether it is safe or not to be together with the AIDS victims in the following cases.
communicating\talking with them
sharing the needles
Therefore, knowing what is safe and what is risky is very important.
Discuss what else can we do to help those who have HIV/AIDS?
Discuss what else can we do to help those who have HIV/AIDS? don’t look down upon them.
show love and care to them.
help them fight fear, shame and injustice (unfairness). support them physically and mentally
1. Are you at risk?
Anyone who has sex with a person infected with HIV/AIDS risks getting the virus.
risk n. 风险，危险 vt. 冒风险 at risk = in danger risk doing sth 冒险做… at the risk of doing sth…冒着做某事的危险 run a risk/ risks 冒险
2. It is only when the disease has progressed to AIDS that a person begins to look sick.
? 只有当这种疾病发展成艾滋病时，一个人才开 始看上去有病。 ? It is/was…that/who…是强调结构，它可以用来 强调句中的某些成分，如主语，宾语，状语，但 不能强调谓语。如要强调谓语，须用其他形式。 ? Translate:昨天我就是在街上遇到了他。 ?It was in the street that I met her yesterday.
1. 2. 3. 4. at risk that is=that is to say 2. fight disease 3. weaken/damage one’s 4. immune system 5. 5. develop AIDS 6. become infected with6. 7. find a cure for … 7. cure sb. of sth. 8. make sure
9. stay safe 10. share …with… →injection (n.) 注射；注射剂 11. inject sth. into sb./sth. = inject sb./sth. with sth.
11. 给某人/某物注射…… 12. 第一次 13. 冒险做某事 14. 更可能做某事 15. 使某人对…产生偏见 使某人对…产生好感 16. 由于同样的原因 17. 没有…证据
12. the first time
13. risk doing sth 14. be more likely to do sth.
15. prejudice sb. against
sb./sth. prejudice sb. in favour of
16. for the same reason
17. There is no evidence of…