My First Ride on a Train
The –ed form
1)作前置定语：这时过去分词的形容词 意义强于动词意义。 a. 及物动词的过去分词具有被动的意 义。 如: a broken cup 一个破杯子 a w
b. 不及物动词的过去分词具有完 成的意义 a grown woman一位成年妇女 an escaped prisoner一名逃犯
2) 作后置定语，通常是及物动词的过去 分词，这时过去分词意义强于形容词 意义。个别单个的过去分词作前置定 语或后置定语时, 表达的含义不同。 如：
前置定语 a concerned look 关切的神色 a wanted person 被通缉的人 in a given condition 在一定条件下
后置定语 the authorities concerned 有关当局 jobs wanted 需要的工作 a present given by the student 学生送的礼物
a used car 一辆旧车
a car used 一辆用过的车
2. 过去分词短语作定语通常后置，其作用 相当于定语从句。如: the color TV set produced last year = the color TV set that was produced last year a letter written to me by my daughter = a letter that was written to me by my daughter
3. 要注意过去分词做定语时动作发生的时 间：
Is this the book written (that was
written) by Henry James?
2) 表示与句中谓语动词相应的经常性的动 作。如： He was then a professor respected (that was respected) by all the teachers and students of the college.
1. Don’t use words, expressions or phrases ____ only to people with D specific knowledge.
A. being known
B. having been known
C. to be known
2. Reading is an experience quite different
from watching TV; there are pictures
____ in your mind instead of before C
A. to form
D. having formed
3. There was an ____ look on his face when A the actress appeared. A. excited B. excitement C. exciting D. excitedly 4. It’s wrong for the ___ countries to C control the world. A. development B. developing C. developed D. develop
5. I have collected the money ____. D A. needing C. to need B. need D. needed
6. The bridge ___ next year will be very B
A. being built B. to be built
7. The book can be used in ___ A countries.
8. From his ____ voice, I have to say that you are really _____. C A. disappointed; disappointed
B. disappointing; disappointing
C. disappointed; disappointing
D. disappointing; disappointed
9. This is the problem___ at the meeting D yesterday. A. being discussed B. having discussed C. to be discussed D. discussed A 10. The ___ look on his face suggested that he had not expected so. A. surprised B. surprising C. excited D. exciting
Past tense time expressions
Read My First Ride on a Train and find the past tense time expressions. ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? recently … a long time ago … during the day … a hundred and fifty years ago … one night … until the 1920s … at (about) midnight … in 1925 …
1.在确定的过去时间里所发生的动作或 存在的状态，常用的时间状语有： yesterday, last week, an hour ago, the other day, in 1982等。 Where did you go just now?
2. 表示在过去一段时间内，经常性或习惯 性的动作，特别是由would / used to do 表 达的句型，本身表示的就是过去时。 When I was a child, I often played football in the street. Whenever the Browns went during their visit, they were given a warm welcome.
He used to visit his mother once a week.
3. 有时可以代替一般现在时，表达一 种委婉、客气、礼貌、商量的语气。
I wanted to ask you if I could borrow your car.
Would you mind my sitting here?
4. 用在表示虚拟语气的句型：it is time that sb. did sth.（“时间已迟了”、 “早该……了”）; would (had) rather sb. did sth.（“宁愿某人做某事”）
It is time you went to bed.
I’d rather you came tomorrow.
5. wish, wonder, think, hope 等用过去 时，作试探性的询问、请求、建议等， 而一般过去时表示的动作或状态都已 成为过去，现已不复存在。 I thought you might have some.
将下列句子译成英语 1. 上周末, 简吃了一顿由外婆做的好饭。 Last weekend, Jane ate a nice meal (which was) cooked by her grandmother. 2. 昨天晚上, 她完成作业后就上床睡觉了。 She went to bed after she finished her homework last night.
3. 前几天, Robert 去北京出差了。 Robert went to Beijing on business the other day. 4. 玛丽过去一周来拜访我一次。 Mary used to pay a visit to /visit me once a week.