必修 2 Module 5 Newspapers and Magazines
Ⅰ. 单词拼写 1. —I have passed the driving test! —Really? C ! 2. This novel is written by an a writer who often does this in her free time. 3. Computers
can help teaching, but teachers will never be r by computers in the classroom. 4. Visitors are not allowed to take p inside the museum. 5. We are very d to get the news that you have passed the exam. 6. Newspapers of high quality (质量) have national and international news of sports and (文化的) events. 7. The writer’s best selling book made him a (名人). 8. Medical (证据)shows that men are more likely to have heart attacks than women. 9. If you realize your dream after hard work, you will have a wonderful sense of (成就). 10. The scientist holds a strong (信念) that AIDS can be cured one day. Ⅱ. 辨析填空 A. aboard／abroad／board 1. When do you think he will come back from . 2. Could you tell me where you the bus? 3. It’s time to go the ship. 4. His father has worked on for ten years. 5. The boat is ready to leave. All . B. in place of／instead of／take the place of 1. From today on, you’ll be here (代替)me. 2. Although computers have many advantages they can’t human beings. 3. Can anything a mother’s love and care? 4. I gave him advice money. C. believe／believe in 1. To my surprise, most people ghosts. 2. I could hardly my eyes. 3. We him to have done it. Ⅲ. 选词填空（every time/when/until/as/as soon as/before） Mrs. Jones was very fond of singing, but her singing wasn’t so pleasant. She took every opportunity to practice. In order not to disturb the rest of the family, she usually went for long walks along the country roads 1 she had time, and practiced her high notes there. 2 she heard a car or a person coming along the road, she stopped and waited 3 she could no longer be heard 4 she started practicing again, because she was a shy person. One afternoon, however, 5 she was singing some of her highest and most difficult notes, a fast, open car came up behind her so silently and so fast that she didn
‘t hear it 6 it was only a few yards from her. 7 the car passed her, she saw an anxious expression suddenly come over its driver ? s face. He stepped on his brakes (车闸), and 8 the car stopped, he jumped out and began to examine all his tires （轮胎）carefully. Mrs. Jones did not dare to tell him the noise he had heard was actually her singing. After a while the driver got back into his car and drove off. He was as puzzled (困 惑) as he had been 9 he stopped. 1. 2. 3. 4. 5. 6. 7. 8. 9. Ⅳ. 翻译句子 1. 既然犯了错误，你就应该受到惩罚。 （now that）
2. 当我到达机场时，他的飞机早已经起飞了。 （take off）
3. 你的裙子很像我昨天买的那条。 （be similar to）
4. 众所周知，他是诚实的，那就是我一直信任他的原因；但是这一次我不相信他所说的话。 （believe in; believe）
5. 老师把孩子们分成六组来练习对话。 （divide ...into）
Ⅴ. 单项填空 从 A、B、C、D 四个选项中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。 1. Yang Liwei’s space flight was important historical achievement, which is great work by thousands and thousands of people in China. A. an; a B. the; a C. an; / D. the; the 2. I don’t what you have said because I don’t your honesty. A. believe; believe in B. believe in; believe C. believe; believe D. believe in; believe in 3. The Tang dynasty(王朝) in 618 AD was one of the most important dynasties in the history of China. A. found B. founding
C. founded D. being founded 4. —Would you like to look after the children I do the shopping？ —I’d love to! A. now that B. as C. while D. for 5. —This dress is similar colour and style the dresses most people wear. —It’s the fashion this year. A. in; with B. in; to C. to; with D. with; to 6. In order to win the beauty contest(竞赛)，Betty bought herself nice clothes, make ? up, jewelry and so on. All these things come to 5,000 yuan . A. in order B. in fact C. in total D. in surprise 7. The great inventor Edison is believed to be the first person “hello” on the telephone soon after the invention. A. using B. to use C. used D. to have used 8. Traditionally, historians have tried to answer questions through the study of written materials. A. historical B. historian C. historic D. historically 9. you have thought of the best way to solve the problem, do explain it to us. A. Now that B. Because C. For D. Although 10.
Is this the first time you a trip by plane? A. made B. make C. have made D. had made Ⅵ. 阅读理解 阅读下列短文，从每题所给的四个选项（A、B、C 和 D）中，选出最佳选项。 A Anyone who cares about what schools and colleges teach and how their students learn will be interested in the memoir（回忆录）of Ralph W. Tyler who is one of the most famous men in American education. Born in Chicago in 1902, brought up and schooled in Nebraska, the 19-year-old college graduate Ralph Tyler became hooked on teaching while teaching as a science teacher in South Dakota and changed his major from medicine to education. Graduate work at the University of Chicago found him connected with honourable educators Charles Judd and W. Charters, whose ideas of teaching and testing had an effect on his later work. In 1927, he became a teacher of Ohio State University where he further developed a new method of testing. Tyler became well known nationality in 1938, when he carried his work with the Eight-Year’study from Ohio State University to the University of Chicago at the invitation of Robert Hutchins. Tyler was the first director of the Centre for Advanced Study in the Behavioral Sciences at Stanford, a position he held for fourteen years. There, he firmly believed that researchers should be free to seek an independent spirit in their work. Although Tyler officially retired in 1967, he never actually retired. He served on a long list of educational organizations in the United States and abroad. Even in his 80s he travelled across the country to advise teachers and management people on how to set objectives(目标) that develop the best teaching and learning within their schools. 1. Who are most probably interested in Ralph W. Tyler’s memoir? A. Top managers. B. Language learners. C. Serious educators. D. Science organizations. 2. The words “hooked on teaching” underlined in the second paragraph probably mean . A. attracted to teaching B. tired of teaching C. satisfied with teaching D. unhappy about teaching 3. Where did Tyler work as the leader of a research centre for over 10 years? A. The University of Chicago.
B. Stanford University. C. Ohio State University. D. Nebraska University. 4. Tyler is said to have never actually retired because . A. he developed a new method of testing B. he called for free spirit in research C. he was still active in giving advice D. he still led the Eight-Year’study 5. What cannot we learn about Ralph W. Tyler in this article? A. When and where he was born. B. Where he studied and worked. C. His devotion to American education. D. His life with his family. B Every year, TIME makes a list of the year’s most influential (有影响的) people, which is called the “TIME 100”. The magazine publishes a special issue with a picture and a profile of each person. This year’s “TIME 100” included politicians, business leaders, scientists, athletes, artists and entertainers. To celebrate, TIME held a party, and invited all of the people who wrote the descriptions and the 100 people themselves. This year’s party was held on Tuesday, May 5, at the Time Warner Center in New York City. The event was great. First Lady Michelle Obama was there, and so were Oprah Winfrey and financial expert Suze Orman. Being the only kid there, I was treated like all the adults there, walking the red carpet and having conversations with Robin Chase. I was lucky to be chosen to write the brief description of Jeff Kinney. When I interviewed him in December for TIME for Kids, I asked him if he had any advice for kids who want to do what he does when they grow up. “Yes,” he told me. “If they want to be a cartoonist, they should copy as many people as possible.” During dinner, there were entertaining performances by comedian (喜剧演员) Jimmy Fallon and singer John Legend. TIME’s top editor Rick Stengel, Oprah Winfrey,and Mrs. Obama gave toasts and speeches. It was exciting to hear all of these amazing people speak and to be just a few feet away from the First Lady. That night was certainly a once-in-a-lifetime experience! 6. What is this passage mainly about? A. A brief introduction to TIME. B. This year’s 100 most influential people. C. What people usually do at the “TIME 100” party. D. The writer’s experience at the “TIME 100” party. 7. What does the underlined word “profile” in Paragraph 1 mean? A. poem. B. description.
C. story. D. report. 8. Which of the following persons might not have attended the party? A. John Legend. B. Jeff Kinney. C. Oprah Winfrey. D. Mr. Obama. 9. We can know from the passage that the writer was invited because . A. TIME wanted a kid to be there B. he knew one of the “TIME 100” C. he had to perform at the party D. he was the writer of the description of Jeff Kinney 10. By saying it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, the writer most probably means that . A. one can go to such a party only once B. he is the luckiest child in the world C. he will have such a chance again D. such kind of experience is not easy to have Module 5 Newspapers and Magazines ?基础操练 Ⅰ. 1. Congratulations 2. amateur3. replaced 4. photographs5. delighted 6. cultural7. celebrity 8. evidence9. achievement 10. belief Ⅱ. A. 1. abroad2. board3. aboard 4. board5. aboard B. 1. in place of2. take the place of 3. take the place of4. instead of C. 1. believe in2. believe 3. believe/believed Ⅲ. 1. every time2. As soon as3. until 4. when5. when6. before 7. When8. as soon as9. when Ⅳ. 1. Now that you have made mistakes, you should be punished.
2. His plane had taken off when I got to the airport. 3. Your skirt is similar to the one I bought yesterday. 4. As is known to all, he is honest. That ? s why I believe in him all the time. But this time I don ? t believe him. 5. The teacher divided the children into six groups to practice the dialogue. ?提升练习 Ⅴ. 1. 解析：选 C。考查冠词。achievement 是可数名词，意为“成就；成绩；功绩” ，此处 表泛指，用 an。而 work 意为“工作，劳动” ，是不可数名词，不加冠词，故选 C。 2. 解析：选 A。考查 believe 和 believe in 的辨析。句意为:我不相信你说过的话，因为我 不相信你是诚实的。believe 相信（某人或某人所说的话）; believe in 信任，信仰。 3. 解析：选 C。考查非谓语动词。选项中的 founded 是过去分词作后置定语，表被动、完成。 D 项为现在分词的被动形式，意为“正在被建立” ，与句意不符。故答案为 C。 4. 解析：选 C。考查时间状语从句。句意为：——我去买东西的时候，你愿意照顾孩子们吗？ ——我非常愿意。while 当??的时候，常与延续性动词连用；now that 既然，由于，引导 原因状语从句；as 当??的时候，强调两个动作同时进行，常意为“一边??一边??” ； for 不能引导时间状语从句。 5. 解析： B。 选 考查动词与介词的搭配。 similar in 在??方面相似； similar to 与?? be be 相似。句意为:——这条裙子在颜色和款式方面与大部分人穿的相似。——这是今年的时尚。 6. 解析：选 C。考查短语辨析。in order 整齐；in fact 事实上；in total 总计，总共；in surprise 吃惊地。句意为:为了赢得这次选美比赛，贝蒂给自己买了漂亮的衣服，化妆品，首 饰等。这些东西总共花了 5,000 元。故答案为 C。 7. 解析：选 B。考查固定用法。sb.+ be+序数词+ n. + to do 表示“某人是第几个做??的 人” 。句意为:伟大的发明家爱迪生被认为是在电话发明不久之后第一个在电话中用“hello” 的人。 8. 解析：选 A。考查同根词语辨析。根据句意“传统上，历史学家通过对书面材料的研究， 尝试着回答历史问题。 ”可知，空白处应该填一个形容词来修饰 questions。所以排除 B、D 两 项；historic 有历史意义的； historical 历史上的，故选 A。 9. 解析：选 A。考查连词的用法。now that 既然，引导原因状语从句，表示显而易见的原因， 用于主句前;because 引导原因状语从句，不用于主句前; for 引导句子用来补充说明原因,不 用于句首。although 尽管,引导让步状语从句。句意为:既然你已经想到解决这个问题的最好 办法了，务必给我们解释一下。 10. 解析：选 C。考查时态。在 This/That is the first/second/last time(that)...句型 中，that 从句中用现在完成时态， 表示“这是第一次/第二次/最后一次某人做??” 句意为: 。 这是你第一次坐飞机旅行吗？ Ⅵ. 1. 解析：选 C。细节理解题。从文章第一句话不难看出最有可能对 Ralph W. Tyler 的回 忆录产生兴趣的是教育工作者。 2. 解析：选 A。词义猜测题。由第二段内容可知，be hooked on 着迷于?? 3. 解析：选 B。细节理解题。根据第五段的第一句话得知。 4. 解析：选 C。推理判断题。作者在文章的最后一段提到尽管 Tyler 在 1967 年退休，但他并 未停止在美国国内及世界各地从事与教育有关的活动，他对教学及管理方面的建议至今仍有 现实意义。 5. 解析：选 D。细节理解题。文章没有提及他的家庭生活。 6. 解析：选 D。 主旨大意题。 通读全文，可知作者主要描述了他参加“TIME 100”活动的 经历。
7. 解析：选 B。 词义猜测题。根据第二段的“..., and invited all of the people who wrote the descriptions”可知,应选 B，表示《时代》发表了专题，上面有那一百位名人的照片和 简介。 8. 解析：选 D。 细节理解题。通读全文可知，除了奥巴马外，其他三人都在文中有明确提到 出席了那次聚会，故选 D。 9. 解析：选 D。 细节理解题，根据第二段和第三段可知，写简介的人也应邀参加了，作者之 所以能够出席这次活动，是因为他给《时代》年度百位名人之一的 Jeff Kinney 写了简介。 10. 解析：选 D。 推理判断题。作者是个小孩，而他出席这次活动，见到了这么多名人，与 他们进行了近距离接触，所以作者认为这种经历是很难得的。