Unit2 The United Kingdom
Words and Expressions
Translate in English: 1.be made up of = consist of 2.make sth. clearer or easier to understand=clarify 3.es
cape suddenly from sb. =break away from 4.being useful, easy or suitable for sb.=convenience 5.approximately but not exactly; not smoothly
6.not include or mention sb.or sth in sth. = leave out 7.take one’s place; replace = take the place of 8.stop working = break down 9.plan or organize sth. in advance; put sth. in a particular order = arrange 10.excite = thrill
1.unite vt./vi.联合，团结 to another. Unite one country ___ United we stand, divided we fall. 团结则立，分裂则亡。 2. consist of : include; be made up of; be composed of 由…组成 consist in: lie in 在于 与…一致/符合/并存 consist with A week consist of seven days. 一星期由七天组成。 Tolerance consists in respecting the opinions of others. 宽容在于尊重别人的意见。 Theory should consist with practice. 理论要与实践并存。
3.divide :划分(把整体分成若干部分) separate : 分隔(把原来连在一起或靠近的分隔开 来,分成独立的个体) divided into five continents. The world is ___________ The grinding machine ________the separates grain from the husk . 碾谷机把米和糠分开。 _____
4. clarify vt. 1）阐明；澄清，（使某事物）清楚易懂 你能把那句话的意思再澄清一下吗？
Can you clarify that statement? 澄清问题 clarify the issue 2）使（液体等）澄清： clarify butter 使黄油纯净
5. accomplish vt.完成,实现,达到 accomplish the purpose 达到目的 accomplish the mission 完成任务 6. conflict n. 冲突, 争执, 矛盾 come into conflict with 和...冲突 in conflict with... 同...相冲突/有抵触/有矛盾
7. break away (from )
挣脱，从……摆脱，打破（陈套等） The prisoner broke away from the guard. break away from conventions 打破常规 break down 出毛病，损坏；拆毁，捣毁（健 康、精神等）垮掉 The telephone system has broken down. break into 强行闯入 break out 突然爆发 break up 分解，解散，终止，结束 break through 突围/破 break in 插嘴,闯入
8.credit 名词 n.信誉[U];银行存款[U];信用,信赖 [U];荣誉,赞扬,功劳[U][(+for/to)];学分 Our international credit is excellent. 我们的国际信誉极好。 How much does he have to his credit? 他存了多少钱? I did not give credit to her story. 我没有相信她的话。 The credit for this invention goes to Mr. Lodge. 这项发明的荣誉属于洛奇先生和他的合作者。 to one’s credit 为…带来荣誉；值得赞扬的是；在…名下
9. convenience n. [c, u] [u] 方便，便利，合宜 1) He thinks only of his own convenience. 2) a library planned for the user’s convenience 3) at one’s convenience 在某人方便的时候 4) for convenience 为了方便 5)suit one’s convenience 方便/适合某人 [c] 便利设施；方便的用具 The house has all the modern conveniences.
It is a convenience to live near the station.
convenient adj. 方便 的，便利的，合宜的(主语不能为人)
be convenient to do … be convenient to/for sb. … 1) Come and see me whenever it is convenient to you . 2) It was not convenient for him to come here now.
3) Will the 3:50 train be convenient for you ?
10. rough adj.粗糙的,表面不平的; 未加工的, 粗制的; 粗 略的,初步的;粗暴的, 粗俗的; 简陋的 1) Her hands were rough with work. 她的双手因工作而变得粗糙。 2) They built a rough model out of sticks and wire. 他们用木条和金属丝做了个粗制的模型。 3) I had a rough idea where the sunk ship lay. 我粗略知道沉船的位置。 4) Martin had a rough manner. 马丁举止粗野。 5)They lived a rough life on a small island. 他们在小岛上过着简陋的生活。
roughly adv. 1）粗糙地,粗略地 2）粗暴地 Do not treat a naughty child rough. 不要粗暴地对待顽皮的孩子。 11. leave out 省去, 不考虑, 遗漏 She left out the date on the cheque. 支票上她漏写了日期。
12.arrange v. 安排；整理；排列；改编→arrangement n. 安排某事 arrange sth. 为某人安排某事 arrange sth. for sb. arrang for sb. to do sth. 安排某人做某事 安排做某事 arrange to do sth. make arrangements for 为…做安排，做准备 I will arrange everything (for you). 我会安排一切的。 I arranged the flowers in the vase as soon as I came back home. 一回到家里，我就把花在花瓶里插好。 Bill arranged for this man to come whenever needed. 比尔安排这人随叫随到。 I have arranged with him to meet at the restaurant. 我和他约好在饭馆见面。
13. delight :n. 高兴，愉快 v. 给人乐趣，使愉快 He laughed with delight. take delight (n.) in = delight (v.) in 喜欢, 嗜好 She take delight in(=delights in) cooking. delighted: adj. 高兴的 be delighted to do sth. I was delighted to be invited to her party. be/feel delighted at/with/by 因…而高兴 delightful: adj. 令人喜悦的，令人快乐的 令某人高兴/ 惊讶/惊恐/失望/震惊的是…… to one’s joy/delight/surprise/horror/disappointment
14.thrill vt. 使激动的,使胆战心惊的,有时 相当 于excite The film thrilled the audience. a thrilling experience thrilling = exciting thrilled = excited