起连词作用，本 即起连接作用， 身又作从句中的主语、 本身又在从句中作时 宾语、表语或定语 间、地点或原因状语 who,whom(…的人） whose(某人的…） which(…东西，指物) that(…的人或物，指 物或人） as(象…那样的，和… 相
同，正如) when(…的时候，修 饰的时间名词) where(…的地方修 饰场所、方位等名词) why(…原因；…理 由)
请看下面例句： (1) The girl who/that is standing there is Mary.
( who, that指人，在从句中作主语） (2) The man ( whom/who/that ) my mother
saw in the street is my teacher. (whom, who, that指人，在从句中作宾语，也可 省略)
(3) The book which/that tells us about the earth is interesting. (which, that指物，在从句中作主语,不可省略)
(4) The building (which/that) he referred to
(5) She lives in a house whose windows face south. (whose指物，在从句中作windows 的定语） (6) The company will employ a
person whose English is good.
Whose即可指人，也可指物，是所有格，在 从句中作定语，指物时可与of which互换。
(7) I’ll never forget the day when I joined
(8) I won’t forget the factory where my
(where指地点，在从句中作地点状语) (9) Tell me the reason why you came late. (why表示原因，在从句中作原因状语)
定语从句注意以下几点： (1) that指物时一般可以与which互换，但在下 列情况中一般不可以用which。 ①当先行词为all, much, little, few, none, something, anything, everything, nothing等不 定代词时，如： a. All that can be done has been done. b. I am sure she has something (that) you can borrow. c. There is little (that) the enemy can do besides surrender.
② 先行词被all, every, no, some, any, little, much修饰时： I’ve read all the books (that) you gave me. ③先行词是序数词或形容词最高级修饰时。
a. This is the first composition (that) he has written in English. b. It’s the best novel (that) I have ever read.
④先行词被the only, the very, the last 修饰时 a. That white flower is the only one (that) I really like. b. This is the very book (that) I want to find. ⑤ 先行词是疑问词who, which, what 时，定语从 句用that而不用who, (whom)和which引导。
a. Who is the person that is standing at the gate?
b. Which of us that knows something about physics does not know this?
c. What that is on the table belongs to me? ⑥ 当有两个或两个以上分别表示人和物的先 行词时，这个定语从句要用that而不用who (whom)和which引导。如： He talked about the teachers and schools that he had visited. ⑦ 当关系代词在从句中作表语时： Mary is no longer the girl (that) she used to be. China is no longer the country that it used to be.
定语从句中的“特殊关系代词” : as
用于the same…as…,such…as…，as…as…, so…as…中，as引导的定语从句常采用省略形 式。
① I have the same book as you (have).
② He is of the same age as you (are).
③ I have never seen such a lazy man as you. ④ Take as many as you want. ⑤ Here is so big a stone as no man can lift. ⑥ This is such a book as was given to me.
1. The doctor______ she sent her friend is very famous. A. to whom B. to whose
D. at whom
2. She hasn't got enough money________ to buy the rings. A. for which B. with which
3. The Second World War______ millions of people were killed ended in 1945. A. on which B. where
C. in that D. during which
4. Do you know the reason _______ she got so angry yesterday? A. why B. which C .for that D. for why
5. Is ______ some German friends visited last week? A. this school where B. this school one
C. this the school D .this school
6.He made another wonderful discovery, ____ of great importance to science.
A. which I think is
B. which I think it is
C. which I think it
D.I think which is