dip 浸，蘸 grown-up 成人 tadpole 蝌蚪 knock into 碰到，撞上某人 lily 百合花 confident 有信心的，自信的 appreciate 鉴赏，感激，意识到 feel down 感觉沮丧，情绪消沉
How would your life change if you became famous overnight
Listen to the story of “Freddy the Frog (I)” once and then write down the main idea. This story is about a frog who ______________________________ joined a frog band and became a ______________________________ singer. ______________________________
Listen to the tape again and do the true or false exercise. 1. Freddy had changed from a man to a frog. F 2. He felt lonely in his lake till he met T his friends on the lily leaf. 3. The singers of the band could sing very loudly.
4. Freddy thought he could sing as well F 5. Freddy was very confident about his F 6. He sang the song to ask the other frogs to be his friends. singing. as the other singing frogs.
They formed a band and soon they became famous and went to Britain to give performances. Then what would happen in Britain? Would they succeed or fail?
Did Freddy and his band get a great success in Britain? Yes, they got a great success and became very popular in Britain.
Read the text carefully and fill in the blanks. After becoming famous Freddy and his band went on a(n) _____ brief tour to Britain, where fans ______ waited for hours to buy tickets for their concerts. So Freddy was confidence when he went into a full of __________ performed on a TV concert hall. He later _________ programme in London.
The fans were eager to know when they could see Freddy and his band again. Their personal life was seriously interrupted by ________ the fans. _________ Wherever they went, they were recognized or followed. Even when they _____ hid in the library, they were found by the fans. At last, feeling very upset and
________, sensitive Freddy and his band left Britain and went back to the lake.
What’s the main idea of the story? Freddy and his band’s life was greatly influenced after they became famous, so they chose to go back to the lake.
In small groups imagine you are Freddy and his group and you are back at the lake. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of being famous. Make a list of your ideas and develop them into a short conversation.
1. Freddy was now quite confident when he went into a concert hall. be confident + 从句 对……有信心 对……有信心
be confident of (about, in)
e.g. He is quite confident that he’ll pass the driving test. Don’t be too confident in your own opinion.
Tom is confident of his ability to
overcome the difficulty.
2. He had to go to London, wear an
expensive suit and give a performance
to a TV camera.
performance n. 表演
v. 表演, 履行, 执行, 表现
e.g. They put on a performance last night. What play will be performed tomorrow? Perform your promise.
The car performs well on hills.
One should perform one’s duties.
3. Then things went wrong. Freddy and his band could not go out anywhere without being followed. go wrong ……出了毛病 = Something is wrong with … = There is something wrong with … e.g. My watch went wrong yesterday. What’s wrong with you? He was done wrong. 他受了冤枉。
4. At last feeling very upset and sensitive, Freddy and his band realized that they must leave the country before it became too painful for them. sensitive 在句中作“易生气的; 感情容易 冲动的; 神经质的”讲；还可意为“易受 伤害的；易损坏的；敏感的”。常用结 构：be sensitive to / about ... 对……敏感。
e.g. Don’t be so sensitive - I was not criticizing you. 别那么敏感，我不是在批评你。 He is too sensitive to criticism. 他对批评太敏感。 This tooth is sensitive to cold. 这颗牙对冷过敏。
Do you want to form your own band to take part in the music festival?
Form your own band in groups of four. Pick a name for your band. Decide who will play what instrument and who will sing. Decide the name of your band and what kind of band you will be. For example, will you be a rock band, or a small group of singers? Then, choose an English song for your “band” to perform.
You may find this song on the Internet
or on some of your own tapes or CDs. Practise singing your song to the music and then perform to the class. This may be just the beginning for you and your band!
You may find the following expressions useful in your discussion. I’d like to suggest… How/ What about…? Let’s… Let me sat that… What do you think…? What if we…? Why don’t we…? I think we should… Maybe we could…
S1: What music shall be performed in
our band? I like folk music. What
S2: I’d like to suggest Chinese folk music.
I like it very much. What do you all
S3: I don’t mind what music we choose as long as I don’t have to sing. I think we should pretend to play an instrument. Maybe I can bring in my brother’s guitar. S4: Yes. That sounds good but let me say that I don’t like to sing in public so I think we should have a backing group that supports the main singer.
What do you think? S1: Who’s the best singer here? S2: I’m in the school choir. S3: Me too. Why don’t we sing a Chinese folk song together with a guitar and one backing singer. S1: It’s OK by me. S4: Now all we have to do is to choose the song. Let’s make a list of our favorites…
I. Fill in the blanks. 1. John dipped d_____ the brush into the thick white paint. 2. Let’s go to the theatre first and eat a_________. afterwards
3. As every Western child knows, Father Christmas wears red clothes and a long white beard b____. 4. Jenny is very ________ sensitive (敏感的) about being small, so don’t mention it.
5. Though you failed this time, you should
remain _________ confident (自信的).
II. Complete the following sentences. 1. 小孩子该做的最重要的事是学好功课。 above ____, all What a child should do, ______ is to do well in his studies. 2. 这位医生动手术来挽救他的生命。 The doctor performed _________ an operation to save his life.
3. 下个周末去郊游如何？ What / How _____ about going on an outing ___________ next weekend? 4. 我一到北京就给你打电话。 as ______ soon ____ as I get to I’ll call you ____ Beijing. 5. 杰克装作若无其事的样子。 as ____ if nothing had Jack behaved ____ happened.
Express your opinion on these questions: What do you think are the advantages of being famous? What are the advantages of not being famous? Do you think you would enjoy being famous?