Unit 3 Travel journal
Period 1. Reading (新知预习和文本研读)
1. To understand and master the words about travel in the text .Learn and analyze the long and difficult sent
ences. 2. Discuss something about travel, for example, the benefits of travel ,what to do to prepare for it, what should be paid attention to when we travel. 3. By reading the passage, train the students’ ability of summarizing, guessing and finding out the details. Learn to analyze the structure of a passage.
Learning procedures： Before class (课前自主学习，合作探究)
Task 1 Vocabulary（词汇预习） Preview the new words of this text. Task 2 Warming up（热身）
Please look at the pictures above, and think about some questions : 1. Do you know where they are ? And do you like travelling? 2. What should we do to prepare for a travelling? 3. What kind of transport would you choose to go there? Task3. Read the text and try to find out the difficult and charming sentences and then try to analyze or memorize them.（让学生课前自己找出难句、经典句并试着分析和欣赏）
Step 1 Check-up and lead in（展示预习成果） Step 2 Fast reading 1. Read the passage quickly and find out the answers of these questions, using skimming and scanning skills. 1) Who are Wang Kun and Wang Wei? 2) What are their dreams? 3) Who are Dao Wei and Yu Hang? 4) Is it a difficult journey to cycle along the Mekong? Why? 5) What can you see when you travel along the Mekong River? 2. Then guide the students to conclude the main idea of this passage: Para 1 Wang Kun and Wang Wei’s __________. Para 2 Wang Wei is __________. Para 3 __________ for their trip.
3. True or False. a) Wang Wei and Wang Kun were going to have a travel along the Mekong by boat. ________ b) Wang Wei thought it was no need to prepare much for the travel. ________ c) Wang Wei was a stubborn and careful girl. ________ d) The journey would begin at an altitude of more than 5000 meters, where it is hard
to breathe and very cold. ________ e) Wang Kun thought that it would be easy to start in Qinghai. ________
Step 3 Careful reading Read the passage carefully and find the details in the correct boxes. Route of Mekong In China Out of China At last, the Begins in a ⑴ it passes through As it enters river delta _ on a ⑸___ ____ Enters wide Southeast Asia, enters the ⑿ Tibetan traveling across ⑻______。 its pace is __ __ _ mountain. Yunnan Province. ⑽______. _. The river is⑵ It begins to move The Mekong __ ___ and the The river ⑹________ . become⑾__ water is becomes It becomes _ _ ⑶___ ___and ⑼_____ __. ⑺ . __. ⑷____ __. Step 4 Study-reading Read the text again, find out the sentences and analyse them. 1） They are Dai and grew up in western Yunnan Province near the Lancang River, the Chinese part of the river that is called the Mekong River in other countries. 译：_______________________________________________________________________. 本句中的 the Chinese part of the river that is called the Mekong River in other countries 作 Lancang River 的_________, 另外，同位语中有一个 that 引导的________从句，修饰前面的 名词_________. 2) It was my sister who first had the idea to cycle along the Mekong River from where it begins to where it ends. 译：_____________________________________________________________________. 本句是一个_________句式，it was…that (who) …，强调 my sister。from where it begins to where it ends 还含有两个_______引导的__________从句. 3) Although she didn’t know the best way of getting to places, she insisted that she organize the trip properly. 译：_____________________________________________________________________. 本句中 that she organize the trip properly 为__________从句，作动词 insist 的宾语，使用了 “should+动词原形”形式的虚拟语气，其中省略了________。 4) (1) It becomes rapids as it passes through deep valleys, traveling across western Yunnan Province. 译：_____________________________________________________________________. (2) she gave me a determined look - the kind that said she would not change her mind. 译：_____________________________________________________________________.
(3) Once she has made up her mind, nothing can change it. Finally, I had to give in. 译：_____________________________________________________________________. 5）Find out the sentences in the text which have similar meanings with the following ones. My sister Wang Wei first put up the idea that we could travel along the Mekong River from its source to its ends. __________________________________________________________________________ Step 5 Post-reading 1. Retelling: Fill in the blanks and try to retell the reading. Wang Wei and Wang Kun have ___1_____ taking a great bike trip, ___2_____ middle school. After_____3___ college, they and their cousins finally got the chance to __4____. Wang Wei has one serious ___5___. She can be really ___6___. Although she didn't know the best way of getting to places, she insisted that she ____7___ the trip properly. I kept asking her some questions and whether she had looked at a map yet. She doesn't ___ 8 details. Although I am worried about her plans, she gave me a _ 9 look - the kind that said she would not ____10____. Once she has ___11____, nothing can change it. Finally, I had to ____12____. Before our trip, Wang Wei and I get more information about the River. Mekong River begins in a ____13____ on a Tibetan mountain. At first the river is ___14_____ and the water is __15______ and__16_____. Then it begins to move __17______. It becomes rapids as it passes through deep _18_______, travelling across western Yunnan Province. Sometimes the river becomes a ___19_____ and enters __20_____. After it leaves China, the Mekong becomes ___21__, ___22___ and _23____. As it enters Southeast Asia, its pace __24___. It makes wide bends or meanders through low___25_____ to the plains where rice grows. At last, the river delta enters the South China Sea. 2. Make comparison An attitude is what a person thinks about something. Make lists of Wang Wei’s and Wang Kun’s similar and different attitudes about the trip. After the comparison, students have a debate. Which character do you like, Wang Kun or Wang Wei? Why?
Period 2 Learning about language
1. Master the following words: prefer, persuade, insist, determined, give in, shortcoming, finally, be fond of, Journey, make up one’s mind 2. To be able to recite some sentence structure in the passage and use them smoothly.
Learning procedures： Before class (课前自主探究，合作学习)
Task 1 根据汉语提示写出下列词汇或短语。 （方法引导：先默写，然后再核对答案，错误之 处用红笔标出，写出正确单词并加以巩固。 ） 1. n.不利条件；不便之处 2. vi.毕业→ n.毕业 3. adv.最后；终于→ adj. 4. vt.组织；成立→ n. 5. n.日记；杂志；定期刊物 6. n.& vt.运送；运输；运输工具 7. vt.更喜欢；选择某事物 8. n.费用 9. vt.说服；劝说 10 n.时间表；vt.为…安排时间 11. adj.顽固的；固执的 12. n.旅行；旅程
13. 15. 17. 19.
n.海拔高度；高处 下定决心 梦想；向往 喜爱；喜欢
14. 16. 18. 20.
改变主意 投降；屈服；让 .从……毕业 关心；忧虑；惦念
In class:（课上展示交流、研讨提升） Grasp the following language points: (方法指导：先把原文句子呈现出来，然后认真浏览知识点的解析，并完成相应的练习，核
1. prefer vt. 更喜欢；选择某事物（而不选择其他事物）
While he was in the office he preferred doing something to doing nothing. ★I prefer to walk there rather than go by bus.。
prefer +___________喜欢，宁愿做…… prefer sb to do sth 喜欢，宁愿某人做…… prefer sth. to sth 或 prefer doing to doing ___________________ prefer ___________ rather than___________ 宁愿做……不愿做……
比起咖啡我更喜欢牛奶。 （译）_____________________________________________ He prefers to read books at home rather than watch TV.（译） ________________________________________________________________
2. persuade vt. 劝服；说服
车） 。_____________________________________________________ 【观察探究】I was able to persuade him to take the job at last. 最后我总算说服他接受了这份工作。 We persuaded him out of his foolish plan/to stop his foolish plan. 我们说服他停止他的愚蠢计划。 ★ He tried to persuade me of his honesty. 他努力让我相信他的诚实。 【归纳总结】 persuade sb. to do sth. =_____________. 说服某人做某事 persuade sb. not to do sth. = persuade sb. out of doing sth. 说服某人不做某事 ________________ 使某人相信……
温馨小提示：persuade 含有劝说成功之意。若表示劝说没有成功或不一定成功，常用 advise sb. to do sth. 或 try to persuade sb. to do sth. 建议某人做某事。 I tried to persuade him to do it but he wouldn’t. = I advised him to do it but he wouldn’t.
★He persuaded her ___________ ___________/__________ __________ with him. 他说服了她和他一块去。 No one can_______________________________________________. 没人能说服我戒烟。
3. insist vi./vi. 坚持，主张；坚持说，坚决要求
安排得很妥当。__________________________________________________ 【观察探究】 ★She insisted on going there. ★ They insisted that we (should) begin the work at once. 【归纳总结】 坚持要，一定要____________________ insist 后接 that 宾语从句时要注意，若 insist 表示坚持要做而还没做时，用虚拟语气，即 （should）+动词原形，should 可省略。若表示强调事实或经验时，则不用虚拟语气。
Bob insisted that he _________ nothing wrong and ________ from work. A. did; won’t be fired B. had done; not be fired C. should do; mustn’t be fired D. do; shouldn’t be fired 解析：答案选 B。本句意为“鲍勃坚持说他没做错事，不应该被开除。”第一个空时，insist 意为“坚持说……”， 此处强调事实， 用真实语气； 第二个空时， insist 意为“坚持认为……”， 此处应用 should+动词原形，should 可省略。
He insisted ____________ ____________ ____________. 他坚持这个真理。 He __________ ___________ ___________ his homework first. 他坚持先完成家庭作业。 I insisted that __________ __________ __________ __________. 我坚持那是意外事故。 4. 【原文再现】She gave me a determined look --- the kind that said she would not change her mind. （译）__________________________________________________________________ 【观察探究】 She determined to go that very afternoon. 她决定就在那天下午走。 I am determined to win the game. 我决心要赢得那场比赛。 【归纳总结】 determine v. _____________ determined adj.__________ She is a determined girl. 她是一个意志坚定的女孩子。 determine to do = __________= __________ 下定决心做……
★I __________ _____________ _____________ __________ and nothing will stop me. 我决心要去，没有什么可以阻止我。
5. give in 投降；让步；屈服；上交(=hand in)
【原文再现】最终，我还是让步了。______________________________________ 【观察探究】 He has given in to my views at last. 他最后接受了我的观念。
Please give/hand in your exercise books now. 现在请交上你们的练习册。 【知识拓展】 give up__________ give off ____________ give out
---What’s the matter with you? ---After the long walk, my legs _______ and I couldn’t go any further. A. gave out B. gave off C. gave in D. gave up 解析：答案选 A。give out“（食物、燃料、力量等）用尽，用完；筋疲力尽”；give off“放 出（光、烟、气味等）”；give in“投降”，give in to sb.“向某人投降”；give up“放弃”，give up on sth.“对……表示绝望；放弃……”。本句意为“走了很多路后，我的腿没有力气了，我再 也走不动了”。
1. He would rather ______________ than _______________. 他宁死不屈。 2. 医生让史密斯先生戒烟。译： 当堂检测(即学活用) Ⅰ. 根据句意或首字母提示写出下列单词的完整形式。 1) I much p__________ dogs to cats. 2) What is the bus f__________ to London? 3) Which school did you g___________ from? 4) I can’t bear working with such a s_____________ man; he never listens to others’ advice. 5) I was ______________（下定决心）to drink and smoke no more after I had got a bad cough. 6) Women are easy to be __________________（劝服）to buy what they don’t really need. Ⅱ.Translate the following sentences with the words given. 1 她一旦下定决心，什么也不能使她改变。 （once） _____________________________________________________________ 2 她很喜爱音乐并且弹一手好琴。 （be fond of） _____________________________________________________________ 3 要使他改变主意很难。 （it is ---） _____________________________________________________________ 4 这个男孩向往做一名飞行员。 （dream of） _____________________________________________________________ 5 我们迫不及待地想见到他们。 _____________________________________________________________ 6 我决心要成功登上那座山。 （be determined to do / determine to do） ______________________________________________________________ 7 他对我的看法已经改变了。 （one’s attitude to） ______________________________________________________________ 8 我怎样才能使你相信我的诚实？（persuade sb of） _______________________________________________________________________
Period Three Grammar (The Present Continuous Tense: Expressing Futurity)
Learn the grammar: to use the Present Continuous Tense to express future actions. Learning procedures：
(1) Right now it is the summer vacation and I’m helping my dad on the farm. 现在是暑假，我在农场帮我爸爸干活。 (2) I’m sitting on a rock near the river with my friends. 我和我的朋友们正坐在河边的一块岩石上。 (3) They are playing basketball now. 现在他们正在打篮球。 (4) We are making model planes these days. 这些天我们在做飞机模型。
此四句用现在进行时表示现在进行的动作，有两种含义：①表示说话的时刻正在进行 的动作， 常与时间状语 now， at the moment 等连用。 ②表示现阶段正在进行的动作， 常与 today， this week，this term 等连用。
(1)Betty is going to Guangzhou by plane tomorrow. (2)Bob is leaving for the airport by taxi this afternoon. (3)Jane is staying in Xi’an with her parents next winter. (4) Bob is coming with Betty to see her off tomorrow morning. 此四句是用现在进行时代替将来时态，表示一个最近按计划或安排打算要进行的动作， 这类动词通常是瞬间动作，只限于少数动词，常见的有：go，come，leave，arrive，sleep， stay，play，do，have，take，get to，see off，etc.
英语中表示将来时态的结构还有下列几种： (1) will/shall＋动词原形 They will go to visit the Great Wall tomorrow.他们明天将去爬长城。 (2) be going to do sth. 表示打算要做或准备要做某事，或将要发生或肯定要发生的事。如： It is going to snow.天要下雪了。 (3) be about to do sth. 表示正要做某事，但不和具体的时间连用。如： I was about to leave when he came to see me. 我正要离开，这时他来看我。
(1) The plane takes off at 9∶30. (3) When does the winter holiday begin?
(2) My plane leaves at 7∶00. (4) What time does the train leave for Shanghai?
此四句表示将来的事情已经 “列入日程” 或按计划将要发生，则用一般现在时代替将来 时，但仅限于少数动词 begin，go，leave，start，take 等。
(1)How are you feeling today? (2)You are always leaving things until the last moment!
(3)He is always talking big.
此三句是现在进行时代替一般现在时态。现在进行时代替一般现在时态表示一个经常 性重复的动作或状态，这时句中常带 always 或 forever,以表示说话人的某种感情,如赞叹、 厌烦、埋怨等或强调情况的暂时性使其生动。
Ⅰ.翻译句子 1.我下个月将去美国。 2.我姑姑在信上说她后天将到我们家。 3.我明天将什么事情也不做。 4.玛丽和我星期天去钓鱼。
Ⅱ.用现在进行时完成下列句子 1. you (fly) a kite? Yes，I am. 2. you (sit) in the boat? 3. he (talk) with me? 4. (play) football now. 5.What you (do)? 6.I (sing) an English song. 7.These boys (play) tennis on the playground. 8.My mother (cook) in the kitchen. Ⅲ. Multiple choice: 1.--I’m going to the states. -- How long ____ you _______ in the States? A. are ; stayed B. are ; staying C. have ; stayed D. did ; stay 2.--Will you tell us something about the weather there? --I ________ to that. A. go B. come C. am going D. am coming 3.—When are you leaving? --The plane ________ at 11:05. A. takes off B. took off C. will take off D. taking off 4.—I believe if we _________ abroad, most probably we will go by CAAC. A. have been B. are going C. had been D. were going 5.—I’m going to Shanghai for a few weeks. --_______________. A. Good-bye B. So long C. Have a good time. D.I like it 6. A new play _____ at the theatre this week. Would you like to see it? A. has been put on B. has put on C. is being put on D. will put on 7.—Where are you going for your holidays? —_________. A. What a good idea B. I’m going to Spain on business C. I won’t have to go D. I haven’t made up my mind yet 8.—I’ll go camping this weekend. --_____________. A. Don’t give up now B. No, I’m too busy C. Have a good time D. Can you fish? 9.I’ve won a holiday for two to Florida. I ____ my mum. A. am taking B. have taken C. take D. will have taken
Period Four Reading & Language study
1. Train the students’ good reading habit 2. Train the students’ abilities of getting useful information from the passage 3. Recite and master the following words：reliable view beneath-----
Learning procedures Before Class： （课前自主探究、合作学习）
Task1. 根据汉语提示写出下列单词或词组。 （温馨提示：说一千，道一万，记住单词是关 键！ ） __________ 羊毛；毛织品 _____________ 照常 __________ adj. 可信赖的；可靠的 _____________ 枕头；枕垫 __________ n. 风景；视野；观点；见解 _____________ 在午夜 vt. 观看；注视；考虑 _____________ 火焰；光芒；热情 __________ prep. 在……下面 _____________ 庙宇；寺庙 __________ 洞穴；地窖 _____________ 午夜；子夜 Task2. Retell the story of the reading on page 18.
Step 1 Fast reading Read the passage quickly and find out the main idea about the text. _______________________________________________________________________ Step 2 Careful reading Ⅰ.Read the passage carefully and then find the answers to the questions. 1. what did Wangwei and WangKun carry with them? What should they take instead in Dali? __________________________________________________________________ _______________________________________________________________ 2. Did Wang Kun sleep well in the evening ? what did he think about? ___________________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________ Ⅱ. Read the text carefully and fill in the blanks according to the text. We reached in autumn. The snow was beginning to fall. We just looked like __ __ riding bicycle. It was so cold that our water bottles _______, but the view was wonderful. I didn’t need to ______ Wang Wei because I knew she was very _______. It was difficult to climb the mountains, but at the top it was so high as if we through the clouds. Down the hills, it _______ became warmer. And we could see butterflies ______ around us and yaks green grass. Step 3 Study reading Read the text again, find out the sentences and analyse them. 1.To climb the mountains was hard work but as we looked around us, we were surprised by the view.分析： 这是一个由 but 连接的________(并列句、复合句)。 “to climb the mountains “在 句子中是_______作_______. 在 but 后面的句子中，又有 as 引导的一个______. As 可以翻译成_________.该句子翻译为：______________________________________ 2. At one point we were so high that we found ourselves cycling through clouds. 译： .
本句子含有一个 so---that 结构的句子，意思是__________.“found ourselves cycling”是 find 的复合结构。ourselves 作 find 的______, cycling 作_____。 Step4 Language study 1.reliable 【原文再现】 She is very reliable and I knew I didn’t need to encourage her. 译：_____________________________________________________________________ 【一点即通】1）rely vi. 信赖，依赖，信任 （常和介词 on 连用） 2）reliability n. 可靠，可靠程度，可信赖性 3）reliably adv. 可靠地，确实地 4）reliance n. 信任，信赖的人或事，信赖 【即学活用】 He is honest and never tells a lie. So in my opinion, he is quite __________ . A. humorous B. safe C. reliable D. understandable 2. view n. 风景，视野，观点，见解 vt. 观看，注视，考虑 【原文再现】 To climb the mountains was hard work but as we looked around us, we were surprised by the view. 译：___________________________________________________________ _______ 【辨析】view/sight/scenery/scene (1) view 指透过窗户或站在某个高处能观赏到的所有“景物、景致”。 (2) sight 指人们游览观光的风景，特别值得一看的景物。也可指“情景；景象”。 (3) scenery 指一个地区全部的自然景色， 如高山、 森林、 溪谷等， 是不可数名 词。 (4) scene 除意为“景物；景致”外，还有“场面”之意，大多包括人和动作在内。 【即学活用】1) The ________ from the front of the mountain hotel is even more beautiful. 2) Taxi and buses were part of the street _______ . 3) Hangzhou is world-famous for its beautiful_______ . 4) The_______ of all the blood on the ground made her feel sick.
3. beneath prep. 在……下面 adv. 在下方，在底下 【原文再现】 As I lay beneath the stars I thought about how far we had already travelled. 译：_____________________________________________________________________ 【辨析】beneath、below、down 与 under 的区别 (1) below 指高度低于某物，但不一定在其下方，与 above 相对。 (2) under 指在某物的正下方，或直接低于，与 over 相对。 (3) beneath 是正式用词，并有紧接，靠近的意思，指两者接触，与 on 相对。 (4) down 长于表示动作的动词连用，指从高至地的运动，与 up 相对。 【即学活用】 1)The sun is just _______ the horizon（地平线）. 2) The boat passed _______ the little bridge. 3) The sun went _______. 4) The earth felt soft _______ our foot. 4. Have you ever seen snowmen ride bicycles?
译：_____________________________________________________________________ 【一点即通】 see sb do 表示看见一个动作的全过程。 see sb doing 表示看见一个动作正在进行着。 【即学活用】1) I saw him _____ (put ) the key in the lock, turn it and open the door. 2) I saw the train _______ (come) into the station. 当堂达标 1. write the words and phrases according to their meanings. 1)感觉像 __________________ 2),.在落日的余晖中 ______ 3)支帐篷 _____ ____________ 4)..Stay awake ______ 5) as I lie beneath the stars 6)They I the woods for a week .(野营) 7)She shows a very positive her work. （对--- 的态度） 、 2. He was so easy-going a man _______everyone wants to work with him. A. whom B. as C. that D. /