If you have chance to go abroad, which country would you like to visit and why?
埃及金字塔 The Pyramids
美国大峡谷 The Grand Canyon<
新西兰 New Zealand
澳大利亚大堡礁 Great Barrier Reef
What problems and dangers
will we face while traveling
What should we take into account before we decide to travel abroad?
Make plans Travel abroad Apply for a visa Weather Local conditions and customs Accommodation
Do you want to go abroad for a further study?
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
What are the disadvantages of studying in a foreign country?
What are the advantages of studying in a foreign country?
1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of studying in a foreign country? A: The advantages of studying in a foreign country are that we could learn standard English. We can communicate with the local people, and we could know the manners and customs of the country better.
B: But there are still many disadvantages of studying there. It would be difficult for us to communicate with the foreign people, and we should adapt to the situation quickly. We can’t understand the language very well, so it’s difficult for us to do everything even some simple things. What’s more, we will miss our homes, miss our parents and friends.
2. What do you think a Chinese student will find different from studying at a Chinese university? They will find it’s not easy to study in a foreign country. The different teaching methods, different learning methods and different situations, they should adapt to all things quickly.
Keep it up, Xie Lei
Chinese student fitting in well
What is the main idea of the article? Give one sentence to describe it. It talks about the Chinese student Xie Lei’s experience in the UK.
Glance quickly through the magazine article and find out the answers to these questions.
1. Which country is Xie Lei studying in now? England 2. How old is she now? 21years old
3. Who does she live with? A host family
4. Did Xie lei get a good mark for her
first essay? No, she got an E.
5. How is her life now? She feels much more at home now.
Match the main idea with each paragraph.
P1 P2 P3 P4 P5 P6 P7 No.1 XieLei’s preparation year(一年预科) No.2 Benefits of her preparation course No.3 The author’s best wish for XieLei No.4 Benefits of living with a host family No.5 Xie Lei’s new plan No.6 Xie Lei, a Chinese girl, came to study in London No.7 Xie Lei’s difficulty getting used to a new way of life
1 Answer these questions about the text.
1). What is Xie Lei in England for?
How long has she been in England?
She is in England to study at a
university. She has been in England
for six months.
2). Why is she doing a preparation
course first? Because studying in England is different from studying in China and she needs to learn about these differences and improve her English.
3). Why did she feel like a child when she first arrived in England? Because she had to learn how to do everyday things like using a telephone, paying on a bus, finding her way around a strange city; understanding English as spoken in real life; learning how to write essays acceptable to her British lecturer.
4). Which two types of people have helped Xie Lei most since she came to England? Xie Lei’s host family and her teachers.
5). Why has Xie Lei decided to join a few clubs? Because she thinks it’s important to have a balance between study and a social life, and she wants to make new friends.
Read the text carefully and mark 2 True (T) or False (F): 1. From the text we can infer that “I” am a reporter of a newspaper. T 2. Xie Lei’s tutor seemed dissatisfied with her first essay because she didn’t give her own opinion. T 3. Xie Lei came to London to study at a university a year ago. F
4. Xie Lei has completed the preparation course. F 5. Xie Lei planned to join a few clubs hoping to make some new friends. T 6. Xie Lei is hard-working and she
doesn’t give up easily. T
3 Read the text carefully and complete the
form about Xie Lei’s life in England. Paragraph Main idea She has to complete a qualification business ____________. In her opinion, the preparation course is most _________. beneficial She has to get used to a whole new way of life.
Main idea She lives with a(n) __________, which host family gives her the opportunity to learn customs more about everyday life and _______ ___________ in the new country. From the first essay she did for her ____ tutor, she has understood that she has to give her own opinions _______and explain them by referring to other authors. She feels much more _______ in at home England and realizes it’s important to have a(n) balance between study and _______ a(n) social life ________.
4 Read the text carefully and choose the
best answer. 1). According to the first paragraph, which of the following is TRUE about Xie Lei? A. She went to London first by plane and then by bus. B. This was not her first time to be abroad. C. She was not willing to go to London. D. She had been in London for half a year.
2). Why did Xie Lei’s tutor seem dissatisfied with her first essay? A. Because she didn’t give her own opinions at all. B. Because there were too many mistakes in it. C. Because what she wrote made no sense. D. Because her opinions were different from her tutor’s.
5 Fill in the blanks. Remember the information and try to fill the blanks.
of doing a preparation course
1. to learn how to fulfil Western _____
________ ____________. academic requirements 2. to get used to a new _______________________________. way of life and improve her English
of living with a host family
1. to learn more about ___________ everyday life
and _______. customs
2. to have people explain things
_____________ not understood
of having a tutor 1. to explain about why you cannot ___ use other people’s work without _____________it acknowledging 2. to _________ you to express your encourage own ideas with reasons
at the university
1. learning to read widelyand _____
_______ the texts. analyze
2. _________ one’s own opinion with expressing
of a new way of life 1. finding a balance _______between study and a ________. social life 2. making new _______. friends
6 Read the text carefully and fill in the blanks. Xie Lei, a 21-year-old girl, for the first time left her motherland ― China qualification to study for a business ___________ in London. Like most foreign students, she has to complete the preparation course before applying for a ______ course. degree
Xie Lei explained it took up all her ___________ concentration in the beginning to get used to a new way of life there. Sometimes she felt like a child because she had had to learn almost everything again. Luckily, she lives with a host family who can give ___ her good advice, and also the chance to learn more about the new culture. Meanwhile, it is a substitute family to give her comfort when she ______her family. misses
The __________ course, in Xie Lei’s preparation opinion, is most beneficial, making her understand the academic requirements of ___________________ a Western university. To write an essay, _______ as far as Xie Lei’s tutor was concerned, the most important thing was her own opinion. He required her to read lots of texts containing different opinions and ______ analyse them.
Besides, when citing (引用) other authors’ opinions, she should acknowledge them. She was encouraged to give her own opinion, explain it by referring to other authors, and even to contradict the authors. Her marks have _____ improved and she is a more autonomous __________ learner now.
At present she feels more at home in _______ England and what has ever seemed very strange appears quite normal to her. However, occupied with work, she has not had time for social activities. So she tried to have a _______ between balance study and a social life.
Discuss these questions in groups.
1. What kind of person do you think Xie Lei is? Find evidence in the article to support your opinion. 1) She is serious about her work. Evidence: ? She did research on the Internet for her essay.
? When her tutor did not give her a good mark she went to see him to find out why. ? She put her tutor’s ideas into practice.
2) She perseveres. Evidence: ? She had problems when she first arrived, but worked at them till she succeeded in getting over them. ? She asks her host family for help with any language or culture issues. ? She did not give up with her first setback over the essay.
3) She is enterprising and adaptable. Evidence: ? She left her city to go to England even though she had never travelled abroad before. ? She settled down well enough to feel at home in a strange country.
1. Recite the key sentences in the text.
2. Preparations: Preview Using
Thank you for listening!