ReadingⅡ Why Not Carry On Her Good Work?
ⅠPre-reading: Study the title
? What does the title mean?
? What does “her” refer to(指代)?
? Who asked
Skim and match the main idea of each part
The information I found out about Lin Qiaozhi by research. I found out more about Lin Qiaozhi and made up my mind to study medicine. The reason why I did research on great women of China
Scan and find out all the questions the author asked in this passage.
1)Para.1 Which one should I choose to study at university? 2)Para.2 Why did she write that? 3)Para.2 Who were the women that Lin Qiaozhi thought needed this advice? 4)Para.3 Was she so much clever than anyone else? 5)Para.4 Why not study at medical college like Lin Qiaozi and carry on her good work?
Finish the following T/F Task 3 exercises after detail reading.
1)The author decided that she would study medicine in college so she do research on(研 究) Lin Qiaozhi. F 2) Lin qiaozhi specialized in(专门研究) children diseases and she wrote a book explaining how to cut the death rate of babies. F 3) Lin qiaozhi’s book was intended for(专为…使 用) mothers in the countryside in case of some emergency (突发情况) .
4) It is easy for a woman to get medical training at that time when girls’ education chance is equal to boys’. F 5) Lin Qiaozhi is always kind and considerate. T 6) Though tired of work, Lin Qiaozhi would deliver babies for poor families without payment. T 7) Linqiaozhi chose not to have a family of her own(成家) and devoted herself to her patients. T
? Find out the useful expressions and important sentences in each paragraph, and study it with your group members. ? You are required to share your understanding with the other group members.
1) I did not know the answer until one evening when I sat down at the computer to do some research on great women of China. do some research on sth.做某方面的研究 e.g. They are doing some research into/ on the effects of brain damage. ? They are researching (into/ on/ in) the effects of brain damage.
research sth. 研究某物
2. It seemed that she had been very busy in her chosen career, travelling abroad to study as well as writing books and articles. ? 似乎林一直在为你自己选择的事业奔忙， 去国外留学， 也写了很多书和文章。 It seems/seemed that …似乎/好像/看来…… = sb. seems/seemed+不定式 e.g. it seems that she is happy. = she seems to be happy.
3. One of them caught my eye. 其中有一本引起了我的注意。 e.g. When I entered his new house, a beautiful picture caught my eye. Do you know any other phrase means “引起某人注意” ？ draw one’s attention
4. It was a small book explaining how to cut the death rate from having and caring for babies. e.g. He explained to us how to use the computer. explain sth. to sb./ explain to sb. Sth e.g. He is trying to explain himself or why he was late. explain后接名词、代词、从句、wh-+to do作宾语。
5.She gave some simple rules to follow for keeping babies clean, healthy and free from sickness. ? The food on board is free of charge. 飞 机上的食品是免费供应的. ? Are you free tomorrow?
be free from: 免于
? No human being can be free from mistakes. 是人总要犯错误。
6. Suddenly it hit me how difficult it was for a woman to get medical training at that time.
在本句中it作形式主语，how引导的句 子作真正的主语。 It hits me ...意为“我突然想到……”。 e.g. 1）我突然想起,我忘了锁门了。
It hit me that I had forgotten to lock the door.
It didn't occur to him that he had an emergency.
It suddenly struck me how we could carry on (with) our work.
It hits sb. ...突然想到…… It occurrs to sb. ...突然想到…… It strikes sb.... 突然感（想）到……
7.carry on/ carry out
? Will the government _________ carry out 落实; 贯彻;执行 its promise to reform the law。 on ? You'll have an accident if you carry ______ driving like that. ? It was so noisy it was hard to __________a conversation. carry on
Exercise： 用适当的介词填空。 for the 1. Doctors and nurses care ___ sick. 2. Our goods are the best on the market; in other words, our goods are second to __ none. 3. Every night after dinner, the child’s grandmother tells story after story to him patiently. ____
4. He started to study the plants in Africa 10 years ago and decided to them. to devote his whole life __
5. Mary knows children well. After
all, she has brought up six __ of her
6. There is a growing tendency for people to work at home instead __ of in the office. 7. I am preparing ___ for the entrance examination.
Summary: Explain the following phrases do some research on sth. 做某方面的研究 it seems that… 似乎/好像? come across 偶然遇见 explain sth. to sb. 向某人解释某事 be intended for 专为?而准备，专供?使 用 catch one’s eye 引起某人注意 比?差；次于 second to deliver a baby 接生 it hit sb. … 某人忽然想起… carry on 继续，坚持