非谓语动词----? Gerund 动名词 ? Infinitive 不定式 ? Participle 分词
used after verbs)
1. That policeman denied taking bribes.
2. Our job includes visiting schools and meeting parents. 我们的工作包括参观学校和接待家长。
3. I don’t mind waiting a little longer.
4. Joe has finished checking already.Joe已经查过帐单。
5. You should practice speaking English with a native speaker. 你应该与说母语的人练习讲英语。
6. You must avoid eating fat.
7. Don’t risk climbing the big mountain.
不要冒险爬高山。 8.The chairman suggested closing down the branch office.
9. Susan likes collecting coins.
10. She couldn’t help having big ears. 她总是忍不住要打听别人的事。 11. We have postponed discussing the plan. 我们已经推迟讨论这个计划。 12. I always enjoy listening to your singing. 我一直很欣赏你唱的歌。
13.You will miss seeing that show tonight.
14.That woman admitted lying to us about her age. 那位妇女承认对我们隐瞒了年龄。 15. Napoleon could not prevent their capturing Paris. 拿破伦无法阻止他们占领巴黎。 小结：记住后接动名词的动词： avoid, admit, couldn’t help, deny, enjoy, finish, include, like, mind, miss, postpone,practice, prevent, risk, suggest,
动名词在介词后 Gerund used after prepositions
1. We spent two weeks in drawing up the plan. 我们花了两个星期来设计此计划。 2. What is the use of complaining? 抱怨有什么用？ 3.There is no use in arguing with him.
4. The heavy rain prevented us from going to the party. 大雨使我们无法去赴晚会。
5. We have difficulty in finding the right man for the job. 找到合适做这项工作的人还挺难。
6. There is little chance of winning the match.
7. I have no intention of joining the music club.
我并没有去这个音乐俱乐部的意图。 8. We never dreamed of meeting here. 我们从没有梦想在此见面。
9. This is the best way of doing it.
10. Mr. Li has five years’ experience in selling used cars. 李先生卖二手车有五年的经历了。 11. My husband has a strong dislike for dining out.
12. They pass a law against constructing after midnight. 他们通过一条法规：午夜后不准施工。
13.I object to postponing the meeting. 我反对推迟会议。 14.You should refrain from eating fat. 你要节制自己不吃肥肉。 15. Is there any possibility of finding the lost car today? 今天找到丢失的车有可能吗？ 16. She confessed to lying to us about her age. 她承认对我们谎报了她的年龄。
17. His health resulted from drinking too much.
18. Mr. Hill punished Tom by telling lies. 汤姆说谎被赫尔先生惩罚。 19. She insisted on going out in the rain. 她坚持下雨出门。 20. I am thinking of changing jobs. 我在考虑换工作。
21.You should refrain from eating chocolate.
22. I must apologize for keeping you waiting. 很抱歉让你久等了。 23. Peter succeeded in gaining a scholarship. 皮特获得了奖学金。 24. They are talking about studying abroad. 他们在谈出国留学的事。
25.That is a poor excuse for leaving early. 那不是早退的理由。 26. Prices keep on increasing these days.
27.Mrs. Green feels much interest in growing roses.
28. I’m sorry for troubling you.
1. We are far ______sharing your views. from of 2. The police are hopeful ___catching the robbers. of reading detective novels. 3. Peter is fond ___ on going abroad. 4. Susan is keen ___ 5. Mr.Li was accused ___ of ignoring traffic signs. from taking part in 6. Mother prevented me ____ the car race.
7. Mary is shy ____ telling us her age. of
of passing the 8. Peter feels confident ____ examination. at remembering faces and 9. Sally is good ____ names.
of 10. Will you do me the pleasure ____ dancing with me? to speaking in public. 11. I’m not used ____ 12. We felt no objection ____ to calling a meeting.
13. Mr. Liu is well experienced ___ in teaching French. 14. We are sure ____ of winning the match.
15. Tom was punished ___ for telling lies.
16. You can help the police ___ by reporting crime.
Task: Put the sentences above into Chinese.
Gerunds (active/passive) 动名词的主动或被动
1. That old man refused food after being admitted into hospital. 那位老人被许可住院后拒绝进食。
2. You can keep strangers out by building a fence in the garden. 你可以修建一个篱笆墙不让生人进花园。
3. The workers complained of being dismissed at short notice.
4. The house looks beautiful after being painted. 那见房子被粉刷后看上去漂亮了。
Infinitive 不定式: verb to do 结构
1. I want to buy a new mobile phone.
2.John pretended not to know that young lady. 约翰假装不认得那位少妇。
3.The young man threatened to kill the woman. 这位年轻人威胁要杀那女人。
4. I always try to keep my temper. 我总是尽量忍着不发怒。
5. Mrs. Hill promised to take us to Ocean Park. 赫尔夫人答应带我们去海洋公园。
6.The chairman agreed to call a meeting.
7. We are planning to visit the museum next month. 我们计划下月去参观这个博物馆。
8. Peter hopes to get the prize.
9. Don’t hesitate to answer my question.
10. I can’t afford to keep a car. 我养不起汽车。 11. The boys waited to see the result. 孩子们等待看结果。
12.You must learn to behave yourself, Peter. 皮特，你一定要学会守规矩。
13. I wish to buy a bigger house.
14. Oh, I didn’t expect to see you here. 啊，我没想到在这儿见到你。 15.They guaranteed to refund our money for imperfect quality. 他们保证因质量不好推款给我们。 16. I used to sleep with the light on when I was young.
17. The only way to serve international customers better is to provide the best quality service and improve domestic infrastructure. 做好对国际客户的服务的唯一途径就是提供最优 质的服务和提高国内的基本设施。
18. Telecommunications service is becoming a global business. An operator has to maintain its market leadership in its local market and at the same time has to open opportunity in the global environment. 电信（遥控）服务正在变成全球性商务。操作者 必须在当地市场保持市场主导力，同时还要在全 球环境中开创机会。
记住与verb to do连接的动词： afford, agree, expect, guarantee, hesitate, hope, learn, use, plan, wait, wish…
1. 那位陌生要求见经理。 That stranger asked to see the manager. 2.我怕得罪他。 I fear to offend him. 3. 我不愿被当成小孩那样对待我。 I don’t want to be treated as a child. 4. 这条路需要拓宽。
This path needs to be broadened.
5.That lazy boy deserves to be punished. 那个懒孩应该受到惩罚。 6. I don’t care to see him again. 我不愿再见到他。 7. We’ve arranged to drop by at six o’clock. 我们已经安排在六点钟造访。 8. He failed to follow the instructions. 他没有按照说明书来做。
9. He offered to go with us to go the police.
10. I long to have such an opportunity. 我盼望有这样的机会。 11. Am I to do this exercise as well? 是不是我也要做这个练习呢？ 12. They demanded to know where the money was kept. 他们要求知道放钱的地方。
1.我们不允许对孩子有如此残忍的行为。 We will not permit such cruelty to be practiced to children. 2.我们要求这本书印成双色。
We want the book to be printed in two colors. 3.她被允许进去。 She is asking to be allowed in.
4. 我想知道是什么原因导致这位秘书接到通知马 上就被解雇。 I wonder what cause the secretary to be dismissed at short notice. 5. 经理指示在两天之内完成销售报告。 The manager ordered the sales report to be completed within two days. 6. 每年规定要对所有公交进行安全检查。 The rule requires all buses to be carefully examined for safety every year.
7. 每年规定要对所有公交进行安全检查。 The rule requires all buses to be carefully examined for safety every year. 8. 法官提醒证人不要受报界影响。
The judge warned the witness not to be influenced by the press.
Infinitives without “to”
1. She felt somebody touch her hair. 2. She let me read her diary.
3. I made him tell the truth.
4. Did you hear him say that yourself? 5. We have to help clean the town. 6. I saw Mary enter your office yesterday. 7. Did you notice the boy open the drawer? 8. Watch me open the safe, Peter. 9. I cannot help but think so.(不能不） 10. Susan had her brother help her.
Infinitives with “to”
1. The director demanded to know the truth. 这位总经理需要了解真相。
2. We are waiting to hear your views on this question. 我们等着听你在这个问题上的观点。
3. Peter refused to withdraw from the race.
4. A number of problems remain to be solved. 有些问题还有待解决。
5. Tell me the whole truth , Joe. I hate to be kept in the dark. 告诉我整个真相，Joe。我讨厌被蒙在鼓里。
6. I should like to hear your views on the matter.
Gerunds & Infinitives Exercise
1. The law forbids (possess) guns without a license. The law forbids possessing guns without a license.
2.The stranger refuse (leave) the room.
The stranger refuse to leave the room.
3.Our secretary’s duties include (visit) schools.
Our secretary’s duties include visiting schools.
4.Mr.Li suggested (close)down the branch office in order to reduce expenditure.
Mr.Li suggested closing down the branch office in order to reduce expenditure.
5.The manager agreed (increase) my salary next month.
The manager agreed to increase my salary next month.
6. Well, I recall (meet) him somewhere. Well, I recall meeting him somewhere. 7. I just couldn’t resist (look) at her as she walked past. I just couldn’t resist looking at her as she walked past.
8. He strongly resents (call) a fool.
He strongly resents being called a fool.
9. Don’t you repent (have said) so, Peter?
Don’t you repent having said so, Peter? (repent = regret)懊悔
10. I think we have to postpone (announce) the news till next week. I think we have to postpone announcing the news till next week. 11. Just imagine (live) a luxurious life like a film star! Just imagine living a luxurious life like a film star! 12. They guaranteed (refund) our money for imperfect quality. They guaranteed to refund our money for imperfect quality.
13. We won’t consider (give) an interview to the press. We won’t consider giving an interview to the press. 14. Mr.Chen risked (injure) his reputation for bravery by withdrawing from the campaign. Mr.Chen risked injuring his reputation for bravery by withdrawing from the campaign.
15. The driver admitted (go) through the red light.
The driver admitted going through the red light. 16. To widen this path would involve (fell) the trees.
To widen this path would involve felling the trees. 17. We’ll take a break now and resume (work) in ten minutes. We’ll take a break now and resume working in ten minutes.
18. You appear (have traveled) a lot, Mary.
You appear to have traveled a lot, Mary.
19. The students are preparing (go) on a picnic. The students are preparing to go on a picnic. 20. The minister tried to evade (answer) our questions about the reform. The minister tried to evade answering our questions about the reform.
21. Mrs Cooper has offered (look) after our dogs during our absence.
Mrs Cooper has offered to look after our dogs during our absence. 22. The lifeguard reported (see) a snake near the swimming pool. The lifeguard reported seeing a snake near the swimming pool.
Note:These words can be followed by gerunds or infinitives:
intend endure cease propose
dislike decline continue neglect
appreciate advise avoid admit consider defend delay deny dislike enjoy escape excuse fancy favor forgive imagine include involve justify keep mind miss mention pardon practice postpone permit report risk resist suggest
agree afford aim arrange appear ask attempt choose claim decide desire determine expect fail hope intend long mean manage offer ought plan pretend prepare promise prove refuse request tend wait wish
We use a present participle to show:
(a) a continuous action 一个正在进行的动作
(b) an active meaning 一个主动的意思
Examples: The visiting team won the match yesterday.
客队昨日在比赛中获胜。 This book is sold with an accompanying tape.
We use a past participle to show:
(a) a completed action 一个完成的动作 (b) a passive meaning 一个被动的意思
1.The abandoned dog was collected by the organization.
2.My uncle returned home late at night, a drunken man. 我叔叔很晚才回家，喝得醉醺醺的。
We often use a participle to introduce a phrase.
1.We received a parcel wrapped in brown paper. 我们收到一个用棕色纸包装的包裹。
2.There are few books dealing with parent education.
Write a sentence in place of each pair of sentences. Use a present or past participle before a noun in each case.
1.The driver received serious injuries./ He died before reaching the hospital. The seriously injured driver died before reaching the hospital.
2. Mr Cooper has resigned. / His health is failing.
Mr Cooper has resigned because of his failing health. 3. I lost the keys. / I found them beneath the carpet this morning.
I found the lost keys beneath the carpet this morning. 4. The sun is setting. / It reddens the clouds. The setting sun reddens the clouds.
5.Two drivers witnessed the accident./ We shall question them. We shall question the two drivers witnessing the accident. 6. The birds were singing. / They woke the baby. The singing birds woke the baby. 7. The house is burning. / The firemen rescued the boys. The firemen rescued the boys from the burning house.
Exercise: Complete the sentences with present or past participles of the words given :
1. The firemen rescued the boys from the (burn) house.
The firemen rescued the boys from the burning house. 2. Smoking has become an (accept) evil. Smoking has become an accepted evil. 吸烟已经成了被接受的恶习。
3. We expect the (run) cost of the waterpower plant to increase 6 per cent this year. We expect the running cost of the waterpower plant to increase 6 per cent this year. 按现价我们期望今年这个水电站要增加 6%。 4. What is the (estimate) cost of this antique vase? What is the estimated cost of this antique vase? 这个古代花瓶怎样估价？
5. An (educate) man would not make such rude remarks. An educated man would not make such rude remarks.一个有教养的人不会讲如此粗鲁的话。
6. These goods are sold at (fix) price.
These goods are sold at fixed price.
7. The guide led us up the hill along a (wind) path.
The guide led us up the hill along a winding path.向 导带我们沿着蜿蜒的小路上山。
Use a participle phrase to write a sentence.
1.Who is that young lady ?/ She is working in the kitchen. Who is that young lady working in the kitchen? 在厨房干活的年轻女子是谁？ 2. These tables are made of iron./ She doesn’t like this kind of table. She doesn’t like the table made of iron. 她不喜欢铁制桌子。
3. I know of a college. / It offers courses for home study. I know of a college offering courses for home study. 我了解一所大学提供家庭学习课程。 4. They hold extreme views. / I never reason with such people. I never reason with people holding extreme views. 我从不用极端的观点来说服人。
5. A young man was executed this morning. / He was charged with murder. A young man charged with murder was executed this morning. 一年轻人被指控犯谋杀罪今早被处决。 6. A tourist was arrested by the police yesterday./ He traveled with a false passport. A tourist traveling with a false passport was arrested by the police yesterday. 一游客因持假护照昨日被警方抓捕。
7. Many teachers applied for the job. / Some of them were required to undergo an ability test. Some teachers applying for the job were required to undergo an ability test. 一些申请工作的教师需要经历能力测试。 8. The goods were badly damaged by the fire. / We are calculating the cost. We are calculating the cost of the goods badly damaged by the fire. 我们在计算由于火灾造成的货物严重损失的费用。