高二 选修6 Unit 3
1. It’s seems amazing that at my age I am still fit enough to cycle 20 kilometres in an afternoon. [考点] 此句中的it是形式主语
，真正的 主语是后面的that从句。 [考例] ______ felt funny watching myself on TV. (全国卷 II) A. One B. This C. It D. That [点拨] 此句中的it是形式主语，真正的 主语是后面的watching myself on TV。
2. due to 归因于, 归功于 e.g. The accident is due to your careless driving. 那意外事故归因于你驾驶不小心。 Her worldwide fame is due to his support.
because从属连词, 接从句, 表示所叙述的
理由是本句的重点; as\since从属连词, 接
从句, 表示理由是已知的, 而理由以外才是 叙述的重点; for并列连词, 不用于句首, 至 于第一分句之后, 补充说明理由; 第一分句 表示推测时, 用for说明推测的依据。
because of 介词, 意思是“由于”, 较口语 化 owing to 介词, 意思是“因为”, 较正式 thanks to 介词, 意思是 “多亏了”
as a result of 介词, 意思是“因为”
3. adolescent 青少年 e.g. adolescents between 13 and 18 and the problems they face. 13至18岁的青少年以及他们面临 的问题。
4. addicted adj. “对某某上瘾”, “沉湎
e.g. My children have become
hopelessly addicted to television.
我的几个孩子都成了电视迷, 简直 不可救药了。
addict n. 吸毒成瘾的人 addiction n. 沉湎、成瘾 addictive adj. 使人上瘾的 addict常用于下列结构: addict oneself to sth. 沉溺于某物 be addicted to sth. be addicted to doing sth. 专心做某事
The parents felt helpless when they found their son had ____ love stories for long. A. addicted B. addicted to C. addicted himself D. been addicted to
5. This means that after a while your body becomes accustomed to having nicotine in it. [翻译] 这就是说，过了一段时间以后， 你的身体习惯了香烟里的尼古丁。 [考点] become accustomed to意为“习惯 于……”，to是介词，后接名词、代词或 动词-ing形式。
1) accustom+名词/oneself + to+名 e.g. Children are quick to accustom themselves to new surroundings. 孩子们很快就会适应新环境。 2) be accustomed to +名词 e.g. I am accustomed to walking long distances. 我习惯与长距离步行。
3) get/become accustomed to +名词 e.g. You will soon get accustomed to the job. 你将会习惯于这个工作。
在英语中, to 有时为动词不定式符号, 后跟 动词原形; 有时用作介词, 后跟名词、代词、 或动名词。下面的这些短语中的to均为介 词。 stick to 坚持 lead to 导致, 通向 pay a visit to 参观 sentence sb. to 宣判某人 come to 谈到, 涉及 see to 处理，负责 be up to 总计 devote…to 致力于 get down to 开始 /着手
[考例] Accustomed to ______ the steep mountain, he had no difficulty reaching the top. (上海) A. climbing B. climb C. having climbed D. have climbed [点拨] to为介词，后跟动词-ing形式, 不 能跟现在分词的完成式，故选A。
6. As you know, if you do the same thing over and over again, you begin to do it automatically. [考点] 此句中的it是人称代词，代替前面的 thing。 [考例] —Have you heard the latest news? —No, what ______? (全国卷I) A. is it B. is there C. are they D. are those [点拨] 由news为不可数名词可排除C、D两 项，用it指代具体的抽象名词the latest news。
7. When I was taken off the school football team because I was unfit, I knew it was time to quit smoking. [考点] quit意为“停止（做某事）”，常 用于quit doing sth.结构。 [考例] Doctors are doing research to find out what happens physically when people ______ smoking. (上海) A. quit B. decline C. depart D. reserve
[点拨] 根据句意“医生们正在研究以 便发现当人们戒烟时，他们身体上 将会发生什么情况。”选A。decline 下降；depart 起程；reserve预订。
8. I didn’t know, for example, that it could do terrible damage to your heart and lungs or that it was more difficult for smoking couples to become pregnant. [翻译] 当初我不知道抽烟能严重侵害人 的心脏和肺部，也不知道吸烟的夫妇生 育能力会下降。 [点拨] 该句是一个包含两个宾语从句的 主从复合句。
主句为I didn’t know。两个宾语从句分别 为it could do terrible damage to your heart and lungs和it was more difficult for smoking couples to become pregnant，or 连接这两个宾语从句, 意为“也不（知 道）”。I don’t know ... or ... 这个句型译 为“我不知道……, 也不知道……”。如： I don’t know where to go or what to do. 我不知道去哪里也不知道干什么。
9. in spite of 尽管, 无视 后接名词 e.g. She can’t see very well in spite of her glasses. 尽管戴着眼镜她还是不能看得很清楚。 The boy went out in spite of his father’s orders. 那男孩无视父亲的命令, 径直出去了。
10. Don’t choose a day that you know is going to be stressful, such as the day of an exam. [翻译] 不要选择你明知有压力的日子， 例如要考试的那一天。 [点拨] 该句是一个主从复合句。主句为 Don’t choose a day, 后接一个由that引 导的定语从句修饰a day, 且这个定语从 句包含一个插入语you know。such as 起进一步补充说明的作用。
11. feel like 想要, 只表示一次的想法, 后接动词-ing形式
e.g. It’s so hot today. I feel like going
12. get into陷于, 染上什么习惯 get into the habit of 养成什么习惯。 相当于fall into the habit of或者form the habit of e.g. The girl has got into the habit of playing with her hair while reading. 那个女孩养成了阅读时玩弄头发的 习惯。
get into trouble 惹上麻烦
get into debt
get into a temper
get into deep water 陷于困境
get into one’s head 有某种看法
get into the way of 习惯于、学会
Now do the quiz and check yourself
I. Complete the sentences
with words from the text.
1. Rice production has increased
greatly in China over the last few
years, largely due to super hybrid rice. _____
2. Having lived in Hawaii all his life, he
was not accustomed to the cold of __________
3. He was ashamed of his body so he _______ decided to go on a diet and do more exercise. 4. In spite of her wounded leg, she ________to get up the stairs. managed 5. He told me the same story ____________ until I felt like screaming. automatically
6. With exams only a week away, I am
under a lot of _____. stress
7. When I quit/quitted playing sport I __________
become very fat and unhealthy.
8. Mental health is as important as ______
9. Now that I am pregnant I eat a good ________
diet because I want my baby to be
10. Adolescents often take more risks __________ than adults.
II. 从所给词中选择适当的词填空。 1. addicted; addictive addictive a. It started as a hobby, but it got so ______ I had to keep on doing it. addicted b. My kids are ________ to playing computer games. 2. manage; manager a. If the sales clerk cannot help you, ask to manager see the _________. b. Helen was always a difficult child. None of her teachers knew how to manage her. ________
3. chemist; chemistry a. The great _______ was given the chemist Nobel Prize for her great discovery. b. _________ was her favourite subject Chemistry at school.
III. 根据括号内所给的提示将下列句子 翻译成英语。 1. 由于恶劣的天气状况周五的运动会 不得不推迟。(due to) The sports meeting on Friday has to be put off due to bad weather conditions. 2. 要过很长一段时间你才能习惯当地 的食物。(get accustomed to) It will be a long time before you get accustomed to the local food.
3. 我打算举办个生日宴会, 可我难以决 定该邀请谁。(decide on) I am going to hold a birthday party, but I cannot decide on whom to invite. 4. 由于身体不好，他被迫停止了教学工 作。(quit) He was forced to quit teaching because of bad health.
IV. 用适当的介词填空。 1. Wendy had hidden the box ______ her under bed. at 2. When I was ______ your age, I did not live as rich and happy a life as you do. 3. However hard it is, you must finish the construction of the lab ______ three in weeks.
4. The reason he gave ______ not for coming to the meeting was that his car had broken down halfway. in 5. My little girl was ______ pain because her bad tooth was pulled out.
6. What’s your room number, please? by And ______ the way, could I have a look at your room card? 7. The meeting has been held to on discuss the effects of tourism ______ the wildlife in the area. 8. The trucks are doing great damage ______ the roads. to
for 9. The patient reached ______ the glass on the table but could not get it. 10. Failing in exams is nothing to be of ashamed ______ if you have tried your best.
V. 下列各句均有一处错误, 请指出并改 正。 1. For many weeks we had been accustomed to seeing see horses and oxen suffering from heat, thirst and starvation. 2. After several hours the firemen tried to put out the fire and save the town. managed
3. The final examinations are around the corner, and some fans in my class quit play football to focus on their studies. playing 4. The parents felt helpless when they found their son had been addicted to readingnovels. read 5. Let’s discuss the matter again and decide in a plan of action as soon as on possible.
1. Master and go over the use of the words and phrases above. 2. Preview the use of “it” on page 21.