COPERNICUS’ REVOLUTIONARY THEORY
Something about Copernicus
1.Do you know what is the center of the solar system? 2.
Can you name the nine planets in the solar system?
Nine Planets In .
the Solar System
? Planet Order from the Sun The Sun Mercury 水星 ? Venus 金星 Earth 地球 ? Mars 火星 ? Jupiter 木星 ? Saturn 土星 Uranus 天王星 Neptune 海王星 ? Pluto 冥王星
Read the text and answer the following questions. 1. Why couldn’t he tell anyone about the theory? 2. How many years did Copernicus work on the problem to complete his theory? 3. When did Copernicus publish his theory?
1. Why couldn’t he tell anyone about the theory?
Because the powerful Christian Church would have punished him for even suggesting such an idea.
2. How many years did Copernicus work on the problem to complete his theory?
3. When did Copernicus publish his theory?
He published his theory as he lay dying in 1543.
Read the passage quickly, and tell whether the following statements are true or false.
1. At Copernicus’ time, Christian Church was in charge of many western T countries.
2. Copernicus didn’t show his new theory to his friends until he completed it. T 3. His friends were not interested in his ideas. F
4. Since he was not afraid of being attacked by the Church, Copernicus published his book as soon as he
finished working on it.
5. Newton, Einstein, and Hawking are
all scientists who made contribution
to the study of the universe.
1. I’m at a loss and can’t____ what you’re talking about. A. make sense of B. make difference C. make sense D. make clean of 2.____ good service, the restaurant offers different kinds traditional Fujian dishes. A. Far from B. Apart from C. Instead of D. Regardless of
3. The school sees its job as preparing students to make____ to society. A. contributions B. advances C. preparations D. conclusions 4._____ I read the story, I'm greatly moved by it. A. At the moment B. Every time C. For the time D. Next time
5. ______ to nuclear radiation, even for a short time, may produce variants(变体)of genes in human bodies. A. Being exposed B. Exposed C. Having exposed D. After being exposed
6. He is a very clever man and can ____ many tough problems. A. handle B. overcome C. be solved D. come up 7. There happened to be a murder case ___the man ____ the mayor. A. linked, with B. linking, to C. connected, with D. joined, to
8. I suggested to my father that we ____ to Dalian for a holiday this summer, but the expression on his face suggested that he_____ to it. A. go , shouldn't agree B. would go, shouldn't agree C. go , didn’t agree D. would go , didn’t agree