Before the class You are supposed to be engaged in the material and in whatever it is that we are You are supposed to be engaged in discussing in class, not necessarily thinking I’d like you
to take active notes the material and in whatever it is Better attention, better about getting down every word that I say. rather than passive notes. Write that we are discussing in class, not I’d like you to take notes rather understanding of the material if down what can active make you feel or necessarily thinking about getting than passive notes. Write down what can learn something. you are actively engaged. down every word I say. make you feel or learn that something. Better attention, better understanding of the material if you are actively engaged.
汉语是我们的母语，我们从学英语开始， 就是用汉语来解释和记忆英语的。变 “用汉语解释和记忆英语”为“用英语 解释和记忆英语”。避免了将英语转换 为另一种语言——汉语所带来的不便和 时间耗费。不但提高了效率，而且久而 久之，有可能在头脑中建立起两种思维 系统，即在汉语思维之外，还可以逐步 建立起独立的英语思维系统。
用英语解释和记忆英语，本身就是在学 习和运用英语，对提高英语语感和英语 的阅读理解能力以及综合运用能力很有 好处，是一举多得的好方法。真正做到 了用英语品味英语，越品越有味；用英 语理解英语，理解更准确。鉴于本环节 初次尝试此种设置，可能有些学生对英 语解释不能完全理解，为降低难度，英 文解释后还配有中文解释，以方便学生 回顾早读课中已预习过的单词，进一步 加深记忆。
Read the explanation and speak out the word it explains.
A country in western Europe, on the North Sea; capital, Amsterdam n. 荷兰(西欧国家) Netherlands of or relating to Germany adj. 德国的; 德国人的; 德语的 a person from Germany; the language of Germany, Austria and parts of Switzerland n. 德国人; 德语 German a number of similar or related events or things, one following another series n. 连续; 系列
outside adv. 在户外; 在野外
the time before night when it is not yet dusk n. 黄昏; 傍晚 dark
when it thunders, there is a loud noise in the sky during a storm; to make a very loud deep noise vi. 打雷; 雷鸣
the loud noise that you hear after a flash of lightning, during a storm thunder n. 雷; 雷声
whole or complete, with nothing missing adj. 整个的; 完全的; 全部的 entire completely adv. 完全地; 全然地; 整个地 entirely ability to control people and events; strength; the right or authority of a person or group to do sth. power n. 能力; 力量; 权利
a piece of material, esp. cloth, which hangs across a window or opening to make a room or part of a room dark or private; a thick layer of sth. which makes it difficult to see anything behind it; the large screen of heavy material in a theatre which separates the stage from the area where people are watching curtain n. 窗帘; 门帘; 幕布
covered in dust adj. 积满灰尘的 dusty
Match go through set down a series of on purpose in order to at dusk face to face 故意 为了…… 在黄昏时刻 面对面地 一连串的; 一系列; 一套 经历; 经受 在破晓时刻 记下; 放下; 登记
ANNE'S BEST FRIEND
1. To summarize and remember the main idea of the passage. 2. To speak out the detailed information of the passage. 3. To know more about Anne’s diary. 4. To learn some useful words, expressions and patterns in the passage.
Words: series, outdoors, dusk, thunder, entire, entirely, power, curtain, dusty Expressions: go through, a series of, on purpose, in order to, face to face Patterns: Are you afraid that … I wonder if … There was a time when …
在阅读时，要注意综合运用略 读(skimming)与扫读(scanning) 这两种方法。
通过略读把握文章大意 略读(skimming)只看文章标题、下标 题以及每个部分或者段落第一行，关注 文章中反复出现的关键词。 略读时，要用充足的时间读懂段落的 第一句和第二句，因为第一句往往是该 段的主题句(topic sentence)，而第二句 往往是对前句的延伸(extension)或进一 步的解释(explanation)。
通过扫读寻找特定信息或特定词组 运用扫读(scanning)迅速浏览从第三句开始 的后面部分,搜寻作者对开头两句的支持句 (supporting sentences),并同时注意文章中间 是否有转折词(transition),因为这些词常常 会把文章的思路逆转或加入其它重要的信息。 当读到段落的最后一句时,我们又要使用略 读,这时必须再次放慢速度(slow down your pace)直到完全消化作者对段落的小结 (conclusion),因为该小结有可能与主题句截 然相反或引导读者进入下一个段落。
a general idea
titles and headings
Scan the text for key words and the first and last sentences of paragraphs phrases, dates, etc. the first and last paragraphs Do not need to read the whole pictures and charts text.
Skimming to get general ideas
Reading Comprehension I
1. _______ is Anne’s best friend. A. Her elder sister B. Her diary Kitty C. Her mother D. Her father 2. The story happened ________. A. in 1940 B. in 1942 C. during World War I D. during World War II
Skimming Reading Comprehension II In the diary Anne expressed her feelings about nature ______ after hiding for a long time.
Careful reading to solve difficult points
1. go through 经历；经受 The country has gone through too many wars. 这个国家经历了太多的战争。 My uncle has gone through many hardships. 我的叔叔经受了太多的苦难。 举行 They went through the marriage service. 他们举行了婚礼。
2. set down 放下；记下；登记 Why don’t you set your ideas down on paper? 你怎么不把你的想法写在纸上呢? I will set down the story as it was told to me. 我要把这听来的故事原原本本地记下来。
3. a series of 一连串的; 一系列; 一套 A series of accidents disordered the shop. 一连串的意外事件把店里弄得乱七八糟。 4. on purpose 故意 He did it on purpose. 他故意的。
5. in order to 为了…… We started early in order to arrive before dark. 为了在天黑前到达, 我们很早就动身了。
6. at dusk 在黄昏时刻 It is difficult to see clearly at dusk. 在黄昏时很难看清东西。 I often walk alone at dusk with my dog. at dawn 黎明时 I knew roosters (公鸡) crowed at dawn, but I never knew they kept crowing all morning long.
7. face to face 面对面地
The burglar turned the corner and found himself face to face with a policeman. 盗贼一拐弯面对面地碰上个警察。 face to face 面对面地 shoulder to shoulder 肩并肩 hand in hand 手牵手 heart to heart 心贴心
Tips for teacher Let the word fly 板块是帮助学生学习一 些一词多义、熟词生义的词汇。通过此
Victory won’t come to me unless I go to it. — M. Moore 胜利是不会向我走来的，我必须自己走向 胜利。—— 穆尔
“go”在英语中是十分常用的单词，我们 几乎每天都离不开它，但它与汉语中 “去”的意思不完全一致，在许多情况 下和不同的词搭配会有许多其它的意思。
We went by train. 我们坐火车去。 They have gone boating.
The milk went sour. 牛奶变质了。 His eyesight is going. 他的视力正在衰退。
This paint doesn't go.
This clock does not go. 这钟不走了。 This luggage won't go in the car.
车子放不下这行李。 This paragraph must go. 这段得删去。
She is going to have a baby. 她就要生小孩了。 How shall we go about the job?
我们该怎样着手做这件工作？ Don’t go by what she says. 别听她的。 They went for each other in the papers. 他们在报上互相指责。 Go on with your work. 继续干你的工作。
活学活用 从上面给出的例句中我们可以看到go 的含义很丰富，不仅仅表示一般的 “去”。大家还知道哪些与go相关的 口语表达或短语呢？请选择几个进行
Scanning to get detail information
Reading Comprehension III
Fill in the form below.
The place of the story
The heroine of the story Anne’s best friend The length of time they hid away Netherlands Anne her diary---Kitty nearly 25 months Thursday 15th June, 1944
The date of the diary
Scanning Reading Comprehension IV 1. Anne said that she had grown crazy about nature because ____________. A. of her interest in nature
B. she had always been so
C. she had been outdoors
D. she had been indoors for too long
2. She didn’t dare open the window when
the moon was bright. That’s because _____________________. A. they might be discovered B. her family might be disturbed C. it was very cold D. a thief might get into the room
Reading Comprehension V
Join the correct parts of the sentences. A she couldn’t meet 1 Anne kept a her friends. diary because B Jews were caught 2 She felt very by Nazis and killed. lonely because C she could tell 3 They had to hide because everything to it. 4 Anne named her D she wanted it to be diary Kitty because her best friend.
Reading Comprehension VI
Answer the following questions.
1. How did Anne feel about nature before she and her family hid away? 2. Why did Anne no longer just like looking at nature out of the window? 3. Why do you think her feelings changed towards nature?
1. How did Anne feel about nature before she and her family hid away? Before she and her family hid away, she took nature for granted, but now she appreciates its beauty and majesty. 2. Why did Anne no longer just like looking at nature out of the window? She did not want to be a “prisoner” in the hiding place any longer. She wanted to live a normal life again.
3. Why do you think her feelings changed towards nature? Her feelings have changed because she was no longer able to go out as she pleased because she is in hiding. Losing freedom has made her feel more excited about good and beautiful things around her.
With a partner brainstorm some adjectives to describe Anne’s feelings and thoughts. Make a list of at least five. Possible answer: eager, excited, enthusiastic, earnest, anxious, sad, lonely, calm …
Fill in the form below. Time Nature Feeling
Before blue sky, song of the never felt birds, moonlight, spellbound hiding flowers After dark, rainy, wind, crazy hiding thundering clouds
Imagine you have to go into hiding like Anne and her family. What would you miss most? Give your reasons. Thing I would miss Reasons
Suppose you have to stay indoors to hide yourself for a whole year. You can never go outdoors, otherwise you will be killed. You have no telephone, computer, or TV at home.
How would you feel? What would you do?
注: 另附 word 文档。 点击此处链接
Quiz I: Retell the text by filling the following blanks. Anne Frank wanted a ______ friend whom she could tell everything to. She found such a friend. Her name was _____. And that was her diary. Kitty Being Jewish Anne’s family _____ hid away to avoid being caught by the ________ German Nazis. During that time Anne wrote a lot of _______. diaries
In one of her diaries she ____ told us her feelings about nature. She wondered __ if it was because she hadn’t been able to be ________ for so long that she’d grown so outdoors crazy ______ about everything to do with _______. She was only able to look at nature through dirty curtains hanging nature ________ dusty windows. before very ______
Quiz II: Multiple choice In order to find _______ better job, he decided to study _______ second foreign language. (2009四川)
A. the; a
C. the; the
B. a; a
D. a; the
We’d better discuss everything
_______ before we work out the plan.
A. in detail C. on purpose B. in general D. on time
Quiz III: Fill in the blanks. 1. If the weather's good, we'll eat outdoors ________ (= not in a building). 2. As _____ dusk (黄昏) fell, bats began to fly between the trees. 3. He'd spent the ______ entire (whole) journey asleep. 4. I admit it was entirely ______ (completely) my fault. power 5. Weightlifters have tremendous ______ (strength) in their arms and legs.
Quiz IV: Translation.
1. 你害怕它成为现实吗？ Are you afraid that it might come _________________ true? 2. 我不知明天下午见您是否方便。 I wonder if it would be convenient to _____________________________ meet you tomorrow afternoon.
3. 我一向无法了解她。 I've never been able to work her out. ____________________
4. 你怎么会对京剧那么着迷呢？ Why you are so crazy about Beijing ________________________ Opera? 5. 曾几何时，天气是一个安全的谈论 话题。 ____________________ There was a time when talking about the weather was a safe topic of conversation.
Things I can do
I can grasp the main idea of the 5 4 3 2 1 reading passage. I have learned about the Second World War and the background of The Diary 5 4 3 2 1 of Anne Frank. I can apply some vocabulary from the 5 4 3 2 1 reading passage to my future writing.
I can understand the sentence patterns 5 4 3 2 1 and write new sentences with them. I need more practice in _________________________.
After the class
It’s time to stop the class for you to look back in silence. Think about what we’ve just learnt today.
Study without reflection is a waste of time.
1. Find more information about Anne Frank and her diary. 2. 发挥想象，连词成文(50-100字)。 a series of, outdoors, on purpose, in order to, dusk, thunder, entirely, power, curtain, dusty.