普宁华侨中学 2015-2016 学年度第一学期第三次月考
注意事项： 答卷前， 考生务必用黑色字迹的钢笔或签字笔将自己的姓名、 考生号等相关信息填写在答题 卷密封线内，并在“座位号”栏内填写座位号。 所有题目必须用黑色字迹的钢笔或签字笔作答， 答案必须写在答题卷上各题目指定区域内的 相应位置上； 如需改动， 先划掉原来的答案， 然后再写上新的答
案； 不准使用铅笔和涂改液。 不按以上要求作答的答案无效。
第 I 卷 选择题（共 90 分） 第一部分：听力(共两节，满分 30 分) 第一节(共 5 小题；每小题 1.5 分，满分 7.5 分) 听下面 5 段对话。每段对话后有一个小题，从题中所给的 A、B、C 三个选 项中选出最佳选项，并标在答题卷的相应位置。听完每段对话后，你都有 l0 秒 钟的时间来回答有关小题和阅读下一小题。每段对话仅读一遍。 1. What has the woman done? A. She has typed a paper. B. She has written another report. C. She has changed some numbers. 2. What is the woman going to do? A. Get on a bus. B. Get out of a car. C. Wait there for the man. 3. What are the speakers talking about? A. A newspaper. B. A novel. C. Movie reviews. 4. Why did the woman buy a new jacket? A. It is perfect for skiing. B. It was on sale. C. It is windproof(防风的). 5. What does the woman mean? A. She doesn’t like opera. B. She would like to go with the man. C. She prefers to see the opera another day. 第二节(共 15 小题，每小题 1.5 分，满分 22.5 分) 听下面 5 段对话或独白。每段对话或独白后有几个小题，从题中所给的 A、B、 C 三个选项中选出最佳选项，并标在答题卷的相应位置。听每段对话或独白前， 你将有时间阅读各个小题，每小题 5 秒钟；听完后, 各小题将给出 5 秒钟的作答 时问。每段对话或独白读两遍。 听第 6 段材料，回答第 6 至 8 题。 6. How do people usually feel after agreeing to do something they don’t want to? A. Angry. B. Sad. C. Comfortable.
7. What does a refusal(拒绝) require? A. Consideration. B. Courage. C. Wisdom(智慧). 8. What does the woman think of rejecting requests? A. It usually harms friendships. B. It can sometimes improve relationships. C. It can increase one’s confidence. 听第 7 段材料，回答第 9 至 11 题。 9. Why does the man need help? A. He is not familiar with the area. B. He couldn’t get in touch with his friends. C. He doesn’t know where to play baseball. 10. Where does the conversation take place? A. In a park. B. In a hotel. C. At a subway station. 11. What time is it now? A. 2:00. B. 3:00. C. 4:00. B. 听第 8 段材料，回答第 12 至 14 题。 12. Where does the conversation take place? A. At the airport. B. In a restaurant. C. On a bus. 13. Why does the woman like San Francisco? A. There is less traffic there. B. People there are friendly. C. It has many good foods and much good music. 14. Where does the man come from? A. Pennsylvania. B. San Francisco. C. Washington D.C. 听第 9 段材料，回答第 15 至 17 题。 15. What’s the purpose of the man’s call? A. To find Tony Parker. B. To book a room. C. To confirm his reservation. 16. What kinds of rooms does the woman handle? A. Standard rooms. B. Special suites(套房). C. Double rooms. 17. When will Tony call the man back? A. This evening. B. Tomorrow morning. C. Tomorrow afternoon. 听第 10 段材料，回答第 18 至 20 题。 18. When did the speaker start playing basketball? A. In primary school. B. In high school. C. After high school graduation. 19. How many hours did the speaker play basketball every morning? A. About three hours. B. About two hours. C. About one hour. 20. How did the speaker learn how to shoot? A. He taught himself. B. Sonny taught him. C. Skip taught him. 第二部分：阅读理解 (共两节，满分 30 分) 第一节 (共 10 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 20 分)
阅读下列短文，从每题所给的 4 个选项(A、B、C 和 D)中，选出最佳选项。
A Raised in a motherless home, my father was extremely tightfisted towards us children. His attitude didn’t soften as I grew into adulthood and went to college. I had to ride the bus whenever I came home. Though the bus stopped about two miles from home, Dad never met me, even in severe weather. If I grumbled, he’d say in his loudest father-voice, “That’s what your legs are for!” The walk didn’t bother me as much as the fear of walking alone along the highway and country roads. I also felt less than valued that my father didn’t seem concerned about my safety. But that feeling was cancelled one spring evening. It had been a particularly difficult week at college after long hours in labs. I longed for home. When the bus reached the stop, I stepped off and dragged my suitcase to begin the long journey home. A row of hedge（树篱）edged the driveway that climbed the hill to our house. Once I had turned off the highway to start the last lap of my journey, I always had a sense of relief to see the hedge because it meant that I was almost home. On that particular evening, the hedge had just come into view when I saw something gray moving along the top of the hedge, moving toward the house. Upon closer observation, I realized it was the top of my father’s head. Then I knew, each time I’d come home, he had stood behind the hedge, watching, until he knew I had arrived safely. I swallowed hard against the tears. He did care, after all. On later visits, that spot of gray became my watchtower. I could hardly wait until I was close enough to watch for its secret movement above the greenery. Upon reaching home, I would find my father sitting innocently in his chair. “So! My son, it’s you!” he’d say, his face lengthening into pretended surprise. I replied, “Yes, Dad, it’s me. I’m home.” 21. What does the underlined word “grumbled” in Paragraph 1 probably mean? A. Accepted happily. B. Spoke unhappily. C. Agreed willingly. D. Explained clearly. 22. What made the author feel upset was ______. A. the tiredness after long hours in labs. B. the fear of seeing something moving. C. the feeling of being less than valued. D. the loneliness of riding the bus home. 23. The author’s father watched behind the hedge because ______. A. he wanted to help his son build up courage. B. he was concerned about his son’s safety. C. he didn’t want to meet his son at the doorway. D. he didn’t think his son was old enough to walk alone. 24. Which of the following can be the best title for the text? A. Terrible Journey Home. B. My College Life. C. My Father’s Secret. D. Riding Bus Alone.
B H.T.B. Arts Center FILM Tickets ? 2.50 / ?1.50. Performances at 8 pm unless started otherwise. WILD AT HEART 127mins. Wen 6-Fri8 February Director: David Lynch Starring: Nicholas Cage, Laura Dern, Willam Dafoe. A first-class film. Cage and his girlfriend Dean are on the run through the dangerous Deep South. They are hiding from gunmen who have been hired to kill Cage by Dean's mother. Victims, yes—but they also have fun. It's wild at heart, strange on top. Funny, frightening and brilliant. DICK TRACY 113mins Mon 11-Sat16 February 6pm Tickets on sale 5-6 pm Director: Warren Beatty Starring: Warren Beatty , Madonna The famous detective tries to stop Big Boy and the Blank from taking over the city. A colorful and exciting film. Some parts are frightening, so think twice about taking children. BATMAN 126mins Mon11-Sat16 February 8.30pm Tickets on sale 7.30-8.30pm PIZZA PLUS offer 6-7pm Director: Tim Burton Starring: Michael Keaton, Jack Nicholson. A few essential questions must be asked...Is Batman a mad hero? Why does Bruce Wayne spend millions dressing up as a bat? Has Nicholson's Joker stolen the whole movie? Great action and excellent acting, especially by Nicholson. 24. We know from Wild at Heart that A. Wild at Heart is funny rather than frightening B. Cage was not accepted by his future mother-in-law. C. A famous detective happened to help Cage and Dean. D. Cage and Dean are playing the hide-and-seek game with Dean’s mother. 25. According to the text, we can learn that _____. A. Batman has the longest running time B. One can buy tickets in advance for all the films C. You’d better not take your children with you to see Dick Tracy D. While watching Batman one can enjoy pizza at 7:30 pm. 26. Where can we most probably read this text? A. In a movie review. B. In an ad page. C. In a short story. D. In an introduction of an art center. C
Hypothermia can be mild, moderate or severe. Mild hypothermia is something that most people in cold climates have experienced at one time or another. You feel so cold that your body starts to shake -- not very much, but uncontrollably. The treatment for mild hypothermia starts with getting out of the cold and, if necessary, changing into dry clothes. Drinking warm, non-alcoholic liquids and eating something sugary can stop the shivering. Taking a warm bath or sitting by a fire or doing some exercise can also help the body warm up. These are all common-sense treatments. But treatment needs to change when people enter the moderate or severe stages of hypothermia. In that situation, their body temperature drops below thirty-five degrees Celsius. They lose the ability to think clearly. Their muscles become stiff. They might bump into things or fall over objects. Members of search-and-rescue teams will first try to prevent additional heat loss. They will place extra covering around the chest, head and neck of hypothermia victims to keep them warm. Hypothermia victims need medical help as soon as possible. Working quickly to get people out of the cold is important. However, hypothermia victims must be moved slowly and gently. Any rough or sudden movement can force cold blood from the arms, legs and hands deep into the warmer middle of the body. This sudden flow of cold blood can create shock, a serious condition. It can also cause an abnormal heartbeat. Members of search-and-rescue teams have a saying that hypothermia victims are not dead until they are warm and dead. The process of "rewarming" a person needs to be done slowly, in a hospital setting. An extremely low body temperature can cause the heart to beat so slowly that a pulse may be difficult to find. In other words, a person who is suffering from the effects of severe cold may seem dead, but still be alive. 27. According to the text, when a person experience mild hypothermia, _____. A. He feels cold so he shakes deliberately. B. He can drink some wine to stop the shaking. C. Some common treatments can help him recover. D. He should be sent to the hospital immediately. 28. Which of the following expression can take the place of the underlined words? A. break into B. knock into C. break down D. sweep up 29. When people enter the moderate or severe stages of hypothermia, which of the following statement is WRONG? _________ A. Their body temperature drops below 35℃. B. The rescue workers should first help them warm slowly and gently in a proper situation. C. Hypothermia victims seem alive but dead. D. If hypothermia isn’t treated correctly, the victim’s heart may not beat normally.
30. What’s the best title for the text? _____. A. Different kinds of hypothermia B. Medical help is important in treating hypothermia C. Emergency treatment for different types of hypothermia. D. How to avoid cold-weather injuries. 第二节：阅读七选五 (共 5 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 10 分) 根据短文内容， 从短文后的七个选项中选出正确的填入空白处。选项中有两 项为多余选项。 This Way to Dreamland Daydreaming means people think about something pleasant, especially when this makes them forget what they should be doing. Daydreamers are usually unknown of what’s happening around them. They can seem forgetful and clumsy(笨拙的)._31__ They trouble us because they seem to be ignoring us and missing the important things. But daydreamers are also responsible for some of the greatest ideas and achievements in human history. __32__ Can you imagine what kind of world we would have without such ideas and inventions? So how can you come up with brilliant daydreams and avoid falling over tree roots or looking like a fool? First, understand that some opportunities for daydreaming are better than others. Feeling safe and relaxed will help you to slide into daydreams.__33_ And if you want to improve your chances of having a creative idea while you’re daydreaming, try to do it while you are involved in another task—preferably(最好) something simple, like taking a shower or walking, or even making meaningless drawings. __34__ “Mindfulness”, being focused, is a tool that some people use to avoid falling asleep. It involves(需要) slow, steady breathing for self-control that helps people stay calm and attentive. Finally, you never know what wonderful idea might strike while your mind has moved slowly away.____35____ Always remember that your best ideas might come when your head is actually in the clouds. A. They stare off into space and wander by themselves. B. Having interesting things to think about also helps. C. Without wandering minds, we wouldn’t have Coke relatively. D. At one time, daydreaming was thought to be a cause of some mental illnesses. E. Daydreams are often very simple and direct, quite unlike sleep dreams, which may be hard to understand. F. It’s also important to know how to avoid daydreams for those times when you really need to concentrate. G. Therefore, it’s a good idea to keep a notebook or voice recorder nearby when you’re in the daydream zone. 第三部分：完形填空(共 20 小题；每小题 l．5 分．满分 30 分)． 阅读下面短文，从短文后各题所给的四个选项(A、B、C、和 D)中，选出可 以填入空白处的最佳选项，并标在答题卷的相应位置。
Last weekends, my kids along with few other kids from the neighborhood volunteered to help me wash my car. My 10-year-old daughter came up with the idea of__36__ other people’s cars as well. It was pretty __37__ outside and I had no plans to __38__ being in the bright sun. She __39__ wanted to give lemonade（柠檬汽水） to passers-by for free. I had seen little kids __40__ and sell fresh lemonade for a small cost but not free. Although I felt __41__ , I decided to help her. Then she asked me, “What if we __42__ this a smile car wash?” I couldn’t hold __43__ my tears and __44__ her and the other kids to go outside the house and come up with __45__ ideas. While I kept myself busy in drying the car, the group walked up to me with a(n) __46__ with beautiful images of smiles. They had “Free Car Wash” written on it and the __47__ of their exercise was “smile”. It was pretty neat to see a team of kids ranging 5--11 years with the __48__ to do something for others. All that seemed __49__ and came right from their heart. Nothing seemed to __50__ to them: their playtime, the heat outside—they just wanted to __51__ others and do something nice in the community! I helped them make some fresh lemonade and brought out some additional __52__ to help clean cars. Passers-by were __53__ and one even shouted back to them saying “God Bless You, my kids…” One of them even tried giving them 5 dollars, which they refused. A pretty heartwarming __54__! I feel blessed by being __55__ by such wonderful and loving souls. 36．A. drying B. repairing C. washing D. decorating 37．A. quiet B. hot C. different D. dirty 38．A. suggest B. avoid C. continue D. practise 39．A. further B. thus C. already D. hardly 40．A choose B. enjoy C. buy D. serve 41．A. worried B. puzzled C. popular D. difficult 42. A. show B. leave C. make D. order 43．A. back B. on C. off D. up 44．A. challenged B. expected C. invited D. encouraged 45．A. creative B. ready C. changed D. familiar 46．A. picture B. board C. idea D. car 47．A. purpose B. trouble C. secret D. theme 48．A. need B. duty C. imagination D. skill 49．A. important B. disappointing C. hopeful D. natural 50．A. matter B. object C. belong D. refer 51．A. relax B. try C. help D. smile 52．A. friends B. rags C. children D. fruit 53．A. interested B. amazed C. bored D. scared 54．A. scene B. gift C. story D. explanation 55．A. supported B. understood C. refused D. surrounded 第 II 卷 非选择题（共 60 分） 第一部分 单词拼写（共 10 小题，每小题 1 分，满分 10 分） 根据汉语、首字母或语境提示写出单词, 每空限填一词。
56. I can draw the c___________ without question that he is lying. 57. We must ________ (更新) our information sources constantly in today’s society. 58. Mrs. Smith cried just now and her eyes were watery and s________. 59. Her o ___________ attitude to illness and humorous stories were published in a series titled Go Away, Mr. Tumor. 60. He ________ （以前） worked as a announcer and now a manager in a big company. 61. 3-D printing can be ______ (应用) to helping children with breathing disorder. 62. Chinese teachers are well-known for being able to _________ （挤出） every second out of their students. 63. The idea of your article is quite original but the language needs _______ (润色)a little. 64. To my d_______, my efforts are well recognized by my colleagues and leaders . 65. Goodbye Mr. Loser made a deep i____________ on the viewers. 第二部分 根据所学课文内容填空。 （每空 0.5 分，共 20 空，满分 10 分） 66. 但当他一想到帮助那些得了霍乱的普通百姓时候，他就感到很振奋。 But he ____________ ____________ when he thought about helping ordinary people ____________ ____________ cholera. 67. 值得赞扬的是， 虽然这四个国家的确在某些方面共同合作， 例如在货币和 在 国际关系上，但它们在有些制度上仍然存在着很大的区别。 __________ ___________ ____________, the four countries do work together in some areas (eg, the _____________ and international relations), but they still have very different institutions. 68. 然而，当我们到达一个看上去像一个大市场的地方时， 由于太多的气垫车 向四面八方飞奔，我看不见王平了。 However, I _________ _________ _________WangPing when we reached _________looked like a large market because of too many carriages flying by in all directions. 69. 你有没有过这种情况：别人控告你的记者，说他（她）的报道完全失实？ Have you ever had a ________ _________someone _________your journalists _______ getting the wrong end of the stick? 70. 除非衣服粘贴在烧伤面上，否则都要把衣服脱掉。如果需要的话，可以使用 剪刀。 Remove clothing ___________ ____________ __________ __________ unless it is stuck to the burn. 第三部分 语法填空（共 10 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 10 分） 阅读下面材料，在空白处填入适当的内容（不多于 3 个单词）或括号内单词 的正确形式。
I am extremely honored to be selected as a winner of this year's Lasker-DeBakery Clinical Medical Research Award. I express my wholehearted thanks to the jury members for the recognition( 认 可 ) of my ____71______ (contribute) to the discovery of Qinghaosu(青蒿素) for malaria(疟疾) treatment. In my childhood, I witnessed occasions when patients _____72______(rescue) by folk Chinese medicine recipes. However, neither __73____ I dream then of such a close link of my whole life to researching those amazing herbs(草药) nor could I imagine then that today I would experience such an exciting moment when my research has been highly praised by the international ____74_____ (science) community. I started research on herbal medicines in 1955. My ___75____(curious) about herbs turned into a strong motivation after college training on traditional Chinese medicine ___76____ (arrange) by the institute. Equipped with a sound knowledge in both traditional Chinese medicine and modern pharmaceutical sciences( 制 药 学 ), we ____77_____(success) accomplished the discovery and development of Qinghaosu from Qinghao. The discovery of Qinghaosu is ___78___gift to mankind from traditional Chinese medicine, ___79___ has served people in China and other Asian countries for many centuries. Continuous exploration and development of traditional medicine will, ____80____ doubt, bring more medicines to the world.… 第四部分 写作（共两节，满分 30 分） 第一节 单句改错（10 分） 以下 10 个句子，每个句中只有一处错误。每处错误仅涉及一个单词的增加、删 除或修改。 81. If convenience, we’ll come tomorrow. 82. Although these cities are not as large as that in China, they have world-famous football teams. 83. Though lack money, his parents managed to send him to school. 84. When you copy the letter, pay attention to not leaving alone any words. 85. They live in the farmhouse, in front of which stands two bread trees. 86. Having been told many times, but he still couldn’t understand it. 87. Karan rented a furnished flat and had it paint pink for the coming Christmas. 88. He keeps him informed of what is happening outside through the Internet. 89. If you make promises lightly, you’ll find yourself in the dilemma.
90. The girl who seems to be easy to get along is easy to get angry actually. 第二节 书面表达（20 分） 社会发展到 2080 年， 照顾老人成了一个突出的社会问题。你公司顺应社会需 求，适时推出了家用机器人。该机器人的主要功能有： （1）可以再固定的时 间做饭，做饭时间可以根据个人需要进行调整。 （2）可以陪老人聊天，下棋， 做运动等。 （3）可以及时处理突发事件，例如在老人突然病倒时拨打呼救电 话等。 请你根据以上内容写一份发言稿，在新闻发布会上向大家推荐你公司的这个 新产品。 注意： （1）词数为 100 词左右； （2）内容可适当发挥，以使行文连贯； （3）短文开头已为你写好，不计入总词数。 参考词汇：prominent 突出的，显著的 fixed 固定的 household 家庭 Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for attending our company’s news conference. As you know，___________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _________________________________________________________________
普宁华侨中学 2015-2016 学年度第一学期第三次月考
阅读七选五 (共 5 小题；每小题 2 分，满分 10 分)
第一部分 根据汉语、首字母或语境提示写单词 （共 10 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 10 分）
56.___________ 57.__________58.__________59.__________60.__________ 61.___________ 62.__________63.__________64.___________65._________
第二部分 根据所学课文内容填空。 （每空 0.5 分，共 20 空，满分 10 分）
66. ____________ _____________ _______________ _____________ 67. ____________ _____________ _______________ _____________ 68. ____________ _____________ _______________ _____________ 69. ____________ _____________ _______________ _____________ 70. ____________ _____________ _______________ _____________
第三部分 语法填空（共 10 小题；每小题 1 分，满分 10 分）
71.__________72.____________73.___________74.__________75.__________ 76.__________77.___________ 78.___________ 79.__________80.__________
第四部分 写作（共两节，满分 30 分） 第一节 单句改错（10 分） 以下 10 个句子，每个句中只有一处错误。每处错误仅涉及一个单词的增加、删除或修改。 增加：在缺词处加一个漏字符号（∧） ，并在符号下面写上该加的词。 删除：把多余的词用斜线（﹨）划掉。 修改：在错的词下划一横线，并在该词下面写出修改后的词。
81. If convenience, we’ll come tomorrow. 82. Although these cities are not as large as that in China, they have world-famous football teams. 83. Though lack money, his parents managed to send him to school. 84. When you copy the letter, pay attention to not leaving alone any words.. 85. They live in the farmhouse, in front of which stands two bread trees. 86. Having been told many times, but he still couldn’t understand it. 87. Karan rented a furnished flat and had it paint pink for the coming Christmas.
88. He keeps him informed of what is happening outside through the Internet. 89. If you make promises lightly, you’ll find yourself in the dilemma. 90. The girl who seems to be easy to get along is easy to get angry actually. 第二节 书面表达（满分 20 分） Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for attending our company’s news conference. As you know，___________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ _____________________________________________________________________ ________________________________________________________ 高二第三次月考英语科参考答案 第一卷 听 力（30 分） 1-5CBBAA 6-10ABBAB 11-15BACCB 16-20ABCAB 阅读理解（20 分）21-23 BCB 24-26 CCB 27-30 CBCC 阅读七选五（10 分） 31-35 ACBFG 完形填空 （30 分）36-40 CBCAD 41-45 BCADA 46-50 BDBDA 51-55 CBBAD 第二卷 单词拼写（10 分） 56. conclusion 57. update 58. swollen 59. optimistic 60. previously 61.applied 62. squeeze 63.polishing 64. delight 65. impression 按课文内容填空 （10 分） 66. became inspired; exposed to 67. To their credit; currency 68. lost sight of; what 69. case where; accused; of 70. using scissors; if necessary
语法填空(10 分) 71. contributions 72. were rescued 73. did 74. scientific 75. curiosity 76. arranged 77.successfully 78. a 79. which 80. no/without 单句改错（10 分） 81. convenience 改为 convenient 82. that 改为 those 83.lack 改为 lacking 84. alone 改为 out 85. stands 改为 stand 86. 去掉 but 87. paint 改为 painted 88. him 改为 himself 89.the 改为 a 90. along 后加 with 第五节 书面表达(20 分) One possible version:
Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for attending our company’s news conference. As you know, with the development of economy, people have to face various pressure. They don’t have enough time to attend the old in their family, which has become a prominent social problem. To solve this problem, our company put out the household robot, which is designed to take care of the old. It can cook meals at a fixed time which can be adjusted according to individual needs. It can also accompany old people in having a chat, playing chess and doing exercise. Moreover, it can deal with emergencies. For example, if an old man falls ill suddenly, the robot will call doctors for help. It would be a great help for you if you own such a robot. Thank you!
Text 1 M: Did you remember to correct those figures? They still look the same. W: Yes, I changed them. Just look at the next page. You’ll see. Text 2 M: Where do you want me to drop you off? W: Right here is fine. Text 3 W: I read in the newspaper that the novel you are reading is excellent. M: I’ve also read some negative reviews, though. Text 4 M: Hi, Amelia. Is that a new jacket? It looks really warm, perfect for our skiing trip. W: Thanks, Jon! That is exactly why I got it. I can’t wait to see if it is waterproof, too. Text 5 M: I’ve got two tickets to the opera on Saturday night. Would you like to go? W: Nothing interests me less than opera. I think it would be better for you to ask someone else who would actually enjoy it. Text 6 W: I find it harder to say “no” than “yes”. M: Me, too. I think most people do. When we are at home relaxing and our friends ask us for help, we usually agree, even if we don’t want to. W: I know. Many people say “yes” to these kinds of requests. People tend not to consider their own interests and feelings, but they are often angry with themselves afterwards. M: That’s true. Saying “no” requires courage and considerable practice, as people are afraid of losing the friendship of the person asking for help. W: But, in fact, rejecting a request can sometimes help a relationship last longer. M: Yes, I agree. It is better to say “no” sometimes. Text 7 M: Excuse me. I’m staying in Room 514. I’m free this afternoon, so I’d like to go to a park or something. What would you suggest? W: Uh... Wrigley Field on a sunny day like today is nice. M: Wrigley Field? Don’t people play baseball there? W: That’s right. In fact, there’s a game at 4:00. M: Great! How do I get there? W: Walk north for one block to the subway station. You can take the subway straight there. M: Well, the game starts in one hour, so I’d better go now. Thanks for your help! W: No problem. Have a good time! Text 8 W: Excuse me, are you going somewhere or are you meeting someone? M: I’m on my way to Washington. What about you? W: I’m going to San Francisco. M: Really? I think San Francisco is probably the most exciting place in the U.S. W: So do I. No other city has as many good restaurants or as much good music. M: Is San Francisco your hometown?
W: No, I’m from a very small town in Pennsylvania. I don’t want to live there anymore, though. I don’t like small town life very much. M: Yeah, neither do I, really. But small towns have their advantages, like less traffic. W: And friendly people. You know, I’m actually beginning to feel a little homesick. By the way, where are you from? M: Washington. W: You mean the capital? M: That’s right! Oh, it’s time for my flight. Well, nice talking with you. W: You, too. Bye. Text 9 W: Hello, Pasadena Hotel. How may I direct your call? M: I’d like to speak to someone about reservations. W: I can help you with that. When are you arriving? M: We’ll be arriving on May 12th, and I’d like to reserve the presidential suite. W: Oh, I’m sorry, sir. I only handle bookings for our standard rooms. The person you need to speak with is Tony Parker. He makes all the arrangements for our special accounts. Unfortunately, he’s not here right now. Can I take down your name and number and have him get M: When do you expect him back in? W: He’ll be out all afternoon, so he might not be able to return your call until tomorrow. Will that be all right? M: Yes, I suppose. My name is Sam Darcy. He can contact me at 6608- 4332. W: Could you please spell your last name for me? M: Sure. It’s D-A-R-C-Y. W: Okay, Mr. Darcy, and your phone number is 6608-4332. I’ll have Tony call you first thing tomorrow morning. Text 10 I always wanted to be good at something. I was only a B student. I didn’t have any girlfriends and I didn’t have a job. But the summer after I graduated from high school, I decided that I would try my hardest and learn how to play basketball. I woke up every day at 5:00 a.m. to run and do other exercises. Then, I went to the local gym where many people played basketball every day. I played with those guys from 9:00 a.m. until noon every day for two months. I got better really quickly since I put all my effort into my training. I even asked the other guys to help me. Sonny was a tall guy who taught me how to shoot, and Skip Higgins was a short guy who taught me how to handle the ball well. I’m not going to make the college team this year or anything crazy like that, but I do think all the hard effort paid off. Now, I’m a great basketball player and my body is in top shape, too.