Book3 Unit 3 The Million Pound Note Step One: key usages of some key words of this Unit: 一．Account： 1. We delayed our departure ___ account of the bad weather.（由于） 2. When judging his perform
ance, don’t take his age ___ account.（考虑 到）(=____ …___ ____) 3. __ no account should the house be unlocked.（绝不）(=___ ___ way) 4. I’ve never been there but it is a lovely place, ___ all accounts(据说) 5. I’d like to ____ ____ _____(开个账户) 6. His illness accounts __ his absence. 7. How do you account __ the difference between them? (=explain) 二．Permit： 1. We don’t permit smoke in the office. 2. I’ll come tomorrow, weather permits/permitting. 3. The government will not permit you to build/build here. 三．Manner： 1. It’s bad manners/manner to stare at people. 2. The rapid development of communication technology(通讯技术) is transforming the manner ____ which people communicate across time and space. 四．Amount: 1. A large amount of money ____( was/were) wasted.
2. Large amounts of money ____( was/were) spent on the bridge. 3. Crusoe stored ____( large quantities of/ a great many/ a large number of / quite a lot ) food in the new cave. 五．bring ___: 1. The greedy boy brought ___ all he had eaten.(吐出) 2. His parents died when he was young, so he was brought __ by his aunt. 3. His work brings him ___ about 6000 yuan every month. 六．__ accident/___ chance -?___ purpose/___ design-> __ mistake; 1. He restored(把。。放回原处) the umbrella he had taken __ mistake. 。 2. The accident happened __ chance. 3. He spoke loudly __ design to attract their attention. 七． Other phrases: 1. When the man was trying to break into the bank, he was caught by the police ___ the spot. 2. They sought in vain ___ somewhere to hide. (=look for) seek->_____->_____ 3. She managed to calm him down and seek help __ a neighbour. 4. I’ll just wonder/wander around the mall for half an hour. 5. I finally recognized my friend in the crowd. => I finally s___ my friend in the crowd. 6. The truth is, I can find no fault ___ her. 7. The manager found fault __ the management of his department.
8. She doesn’t go in __ team games. 9. Things will get easier as time goes ___. 10. You should go ___ your notes before the exam. 11. One shouldn’t go ____ nature or you are supposed to be punished in time. 12. It turns out that his parents are not ill. ___ the contrary, they are very healthy. 13. As ___ me, I just sat on mother’s left hand at the table. 14. Walking in the streets of the small city, I often see beggars ___ rags. 15. If you don’t believe what I said just now, let’s make a ____(打个赌 吧) 16. It’s really bad manners to stare __ one in the face. Step Two: key patterns: 1. I found myself surrounding/surrounded/surround/surrounds by a lot of boys. 2. You may find it hard/hardly to accept your illness. 3. I suddenly found myself run/running down the street. 4. We came home and found him asleep/sleep on the sofa. 5. They were just about to steal into the house than/when suddenly the storm started. ? They were ___ the point of stealing into the house ___ the storm started.
6. He has just rushed into the classroom when the teacher came in. 7. We are swimming in the lake when suddenly the storm started. 8. However/Whatever great the difficulties are, we must complete the task in time. 9. However/Whatever your problems are, you mustn’t lose heart. 10.Anyone who breaks the law should be punished.=> ________ breaks the law should be punished. 11.No matter who breaks the law should be punished. 12.No matter when we met with difficulties, they came to help us.=> __________ we met with difficulties, they came to help us. 13.w________, w________, h_______引导让步状语从句， =no matter _____,______,_____. w______, w_______,________,_____ 引 导 让 步 状 语 从 句 =no matter___/___/____/___和名词性从句=anything that/anyone who Fill the blanks with whatever, no matter what eg: 1. ____ you do, please do your best. 2. _____ you do will be valuable.
Fill in the blanks with whoever, no matter who 1. One will be punished ______ breaks the law. 2. _____ breaks the law will be punished. Fill in the blanks with whichever/no matter which: 1. The content is the same _____ book you choose.
2. Choose ____ brand you like.
A. He is a boy and he is eight years old． B. He is a boy ,___is eight C. He is a boy ___ eight．
A ．“It is very strange” the woman said and smiled． B．“It is very strange” the woman said, ___ a smile． C．“It is very strange”said the woman ,_____．
3.我们发现河水太脏无法钓 鱼 A.We found the water was too dirty and we could not catch fish in it. B.We found the water was __ dirty ___ we could not catch fish in it. C.We found the water was so dirty that we could h____ catch fish in it.
A.Some one was passing by when he fell off B. Some one happened __ __ passing by when he fell off his bike
A.My brother was riding a bike and I sat at the back of it B.My brother was riding with me ____ on the seat back
A. I’ll do my best to help you. B. I’ll do ___ I can to help you.
A.It’s known ___ Taiwan is a part of China. B. ___we know, Taiwan is a part of China C. As is ___ __ us, Taiwan is a part of China.
8.这是一个有着20万人口的城市。 A.This is a city which has a population __ 200,000. B. This is a city ____ population is 200,000 C. This is a city ____a population of 200,000
key to the exercises: 一．1. on 4. by 2. into ( take… into consideration) 6. for 7. for 3. to build 3. On ( in no)
5.open an account
二．1. smoking 三．1. manners 四．1. was 五．1.up 六． by, 七．1.on 5. spotted 11.against Step Two: 1. B 8.A 2.A 9.B 3.B
2. in ( in a manner of 以。。方式、风格) 。 3.A
2.were 2.up by, 2.for 6.with 12.on 3.in ->on,
-> by sought
1. by 3.from
sought 7.in 13.for
8. for 14.in
13.Whenever,Wherever,However=…when, where, how Whatever, Whichever, Whoever, Whomever=…what,which,who,whom 1. Whatever/No matter what; 2.Whatever 1.Whoever/No matter who 1.no matter which/whichever; 2. Whoever 2. whichever