Unit 3 Life in the future
Just imagine, several thousand years
later, the scientific technology is
becoming more modern than it is now. W
hat will happen?
Are you me?
I HAVE SEEN AMAZING THINGS
I have seen amazing things.
* up-to-date * moveable * citizen
adj. 现代的，最新的 adj. 可移动的；活动的 n. 公民；居民；市民
* thoughtpad n. 思想仪
? instant ? limitation
? efficient ? dustbin
adj. 有能力的；效率高的 n. 垃圾箱
n. 丝带； 带状物
vt. 回收利用；再利用 成批制造
* manufacture vt. （用机器）大量生产；
* motivation n. 动机
1. How many stops did they visit? Three. 2. How many inventions did the guide
introduce to us? What are they?
Three inventions. Thoughtpad, a machine and robots.
Divide the text into four Parts.
1. Read the first part
1). What is the space station like?
It is an enormous round plate. 2). Why did the space station spin slowly in space? To imitate the pull of the earth’s gravity.
2. Read the second part
True or false 1). Messages can be sent using
a thoughtpad. T
2). The space citizens could send message
clearly at any time. F 3).We can blame the tools for the faults of the user. F
How are the messages sent in the
31st century? Place the metal band over one’s
head, clear one’s mind, press the
sending button, think one’s message
and the next instant it’s sent.
3. Read the third part True or false 1). The rubbish used to be sent to be buried or burned. grades of material. T T 2). The rubbish is turned into the same F 3). Nothing is wasted and everything is recycled.
How does the waste machine work?
The giant machine swallows all the
waste available and the rubbish is
turned into several grades of useful material, such as “fertilizer” for the fields and “soil” for deserts.
4. Read the fourth part 1).What can be produced in space? Who manufactures them? drugs, clothes, furniture, hovering carriages, etc. Robots manufacture them.
2). How are the goods transported to the earth? By industrial spaceship.
Analyze and compare. Fill the table.
Use the information from the reading passage
to fill in this poster for the Space Station.
Modern Inventions of the 31st Century Only to be seen on the Space Station
1 disposes 1 no waste efficient of all waste 2 no 2 turns Environ 2 pollution advanta them into mentally 3 no ges friendly three environ grades of mental useful damage material Thoughts People must must be disadva live on a clear or ntages None space station messages to monitor may be mixed up the robots
It was my first visit to a space station. Described as an e________ normous round plate, it spins slowly in space to _______ imitate (模仿) the pull of the earth’s gravity. The g________ uide
showed us three stops. In the first stop, I
ending saw the thoughtpad used for s_______
Next stop, we are in the environment area. There is w_____ aste machine which can s________ all the waste available. wallow
The t_____ hird stop showed us how the
goods are m__________ anufactured by r______ obots
n. (pron.) 1. consider 考虑 疑问词＋to do doing sth. wh-clause
Let me consider. 让我仔细想想。 I am considering the purchase of car. 我在考虑买一辆车。 We must consider giving it a try. 我们应当考虑试一试。 We should consider what to do next.
2. You place the metal band over your head, clear your mind, press the sending button, think your message and the next instant it’s sent. instant n. 顷刻，刹那 I’ll be back in an instant. An instant later the explosion occurred. instant adj. 立即的，即时的，紧迫的 I don’t like drinking instant coffee. The flood victims were in instant need of help.
3. A giant machine, always greedy for more, swallows all the waste available. greedy adj. 贪婪的 He looked at the shop window with greedy eyes. The dictator was greedy for power.
be greedy to do sth. 渴望做某事 be greedy for sth. 渴望…
? In pairs discuss the advantages and
disadvantages of living on a space
station. For example: would you like
to live and work in one? What
would you do with your spare time? Prepare to report to the class.