Unit3 Inventors and Inventions Reading The problems of the snakes(学案) 巨野职业教育中心学校 魏艳春
学习目标： 1） 知识与技能目标：
发思考，达到强化语言知识、积累语言经验的目的。 （2）培养阅读理解能力和应用语言的能力。 2） 过程与方法： （1）通过理解课文，理清作者是如何发现问题，解决问题，从而申请专利的全部过程。 （2）主动探究、合作交流，解决问题的过程中，提高阅读能力。语言表达能力与合作学习能力。 3） 情感态度与价值观 （1）通过了解一项发明的产生过程及申请专利的过程，学习发明勇家于发现，勇于探索，勇于创造的科学 精神。了解并重视保护知识产权的重要意义。 学习重点，难点： 重点： 1) Summarize the main idea of this text. 2) Talk about stages every inventor must go through 3) Talk about something about inventors and inventions. 难点： 1.Talk about the procedures of applying for the patent. 2. Express the ideas about the given problems. 课前预习 Translate the following into English. 1) 辨别＿＿＿＿＿ 5) 发现＿＿＿＿＿ 9) 香水＿＿＿＿＿ 课堂学习过程： Step1 warm-up 1. Guess the inventors and the inventions according to the given information. 2. Talk about other inventions. 3. List some items of discoveries and inventions and talk about the differences between them. Step2 Pre-reading Try to order the following stages that the inventors must go through without reading the passage （ ）Applying for a patent （ ）Testing the solution Doing research （ ） Finding a problem （ ） Deciding on the invention （ ）Thinking of a creative solution （ ） Step3 Reading Skimming 1. Summarize the main idea of the test: The text narrates the p______ of the snakes and presents the p_________ of catching them and applying for a p______. 1 2) 专利发明＿＿＿＿＿＿ 3) 偶尔＿＿＿＿＿ 6) 突然地＿＿＿＿＿＿＿ 7) 立方体＿＿＿＿ 10) 期望＿＿＿＿＿＿ 15) 文件＿＿＿＿＿ 4) 火药＿＿＿＿＿＿＿ 8) 着手＿＿＿＿＿＿＿ 16) 申请＿＿＿＿＿＿
11) 方便的_________ 12) 被动的____________
13) 监控,班长＿＿＿ 14) 标准＿＿＿＿＿＿
2. Order the stages that the inventors must go through again according to the text. (1)_________________________________ (3)_________________________________ (5)__________________________________ Scanning Find out which paragraph or paragraphs deal with each inventing stages and fill in the blanks for the examples. (2)__________________________________ (4)___________________________________ (6)___________________________________
Stages Find a problem
Examples in this story The snake must be _________ but not_________.
_____ _____ _____ Do research
Research the ________ of snakes.
Think of a creative solution Identify ______ possible approaches and choose_______.
Test the solution several Try_______ times to make it times Apply for a patent work______________________. This means the solution is ___________.
Careful reading 1. Read the text carefully and answer the following questions. 1) What was the mother upset about?
2) Why was the writer happy to help her mother?
3) What are the three creative steps ① to put the frozen bowl over the snakes’ habitat _______________. ② to put the frozen bowl over the snakes’ habitat________________. ③ to put the frozen bowl over the snakes’ habitat in the evening and carry ______ to collect the snakes without harming them ______________________. 4) Why did cooling the snakes make them less active ? 3. Finish the following sentences according to the text and try to understand them. 1) Snakes come near the house ______________, and they seem to have made their home here. Can you ________________them please? 2) Here was a chance for me to _________________myself by inventing something that would catch snakes but not harm them. 3) The first thing I tried to do was to see if there were ______________that might help me, but there only seemed to be _____________kill snakes. 4) I _________________researching the habits of snakes so I could trap them in the easiest way. 5) Luckily these _______________ were small and that made _____________easier. 6) Between the outside and inside walls of the bowl there is some ___________, which ______________ hard when cooled. I put the bowl into ________________ and waited for 24 hours. At the same time I prepared some______________. 7) The next morning I got up early before the sun was ____________. I placed _____________over the snakes’ ___________on top of the bowl to keep it cool. 8) They _______________disappeared into a _____________hole in the wall. Then I ________________ the bowl with the bucket and left everything ______________. 2
10) But once _____________, they tried to bite me. 11) As they were ____________, I clearly needed to _____________________again. 12) My third＿＿＿＿＿＿repeated the earlier＿＿＿＿＿＿＿. This was in the ＿＿＿＿＿＿＿＿that the snakes would bite again. But ＿＿＿＿＿＿, the snakes ＿＿＿＿be no trouble and all went ＿＿＿＿plan. 13) I collected the ＿＿＿＿＿＿and the next day we ＿＿＿＿＿them all back into the wild. 14) Pressed by my ＿＿＿＿＿, I decided to send my ＿＿＿＿＿to the ＿＿＿＿office to get ＿＿＿＿＿for my successful idea. 25) The＿＿＿＿＿are so strict that it is difficult for ＿＿＿＿＿to be accepted unless they are＿＿＿＿＿＿＿. Step4 Post-reading Talk about the following questions after reading. 1. What roles does the Patent office play? 2. According to the text, which of the following do you think can be given a patent? B. A new novel written by Huo Da. D. A new kind of grass found in a mountain to be used as a medicine.
A. A new star discovered by a scientist. C. A new way to make dirty water clean.
3. Which statement is true according to the text? A. The snakes were so sleepy in the second attempt that they couldn't bite the writer at all. B. Your product must be different from everybody else's if you want to receive a patent. C. The writer decided to send her invention to the patent office the moment she succeeded in catching the snakes. D. If an application for your product proves to be valid, you can get a patent immediately. Step5 summary 1. What you learn this class? 1) the difference between discovery and invention 3) stages in the inventing process 2) modern inventions 4) some information about snakes
5) reading skills: predication, skimming, scanning, carefully reading and summary. 2. What good qualities should an inventor have? Step6 Assignment (必做)上网收集科学家及科学发明的有关信息，写一篇人物传记。（100-150） （选做）Look at the following problems. Choose one and use the scientific stages to design a new invention to solve it Problem 1: the apples growing on your apple tree are too high for you to reach them. What can you invent to pick your apples in comfort? Problem 2: You need to make a house but you only have fishing nets and many plastic bottles. How can you solve it? Problem 3: You want to catch fish but not hurt them when you do so. Design a fishing rod that will solve this problem. 课堂学习自我评价表： 我对这节课的内容掌握 我掌握较好的语言项目 A．很好 B. 较好 C. 一般 D. 较差 A. 发明发现的区别 B. 现代发明的优点 C. 关于蛇的信息 请的条件 E. 优秀发明家具备的品格 还未熟练运用，仍需加强练 习的有： 课堂上老师的讲解对我 今后学习中我应该： A. 预测 B. 跳读 C. 浏览 D. 细节阅读 E. 归纳总结 G. 巩固强化 A. 很有帮助 B. 有一定帮助 C. 帮助不大 D. 一点用处都没有 A. 多 向 老 师 请 教 B. 多 与 同 学 讨 论 C. 多 做 练 习 D. 总 结 巩 固 E. ________________ F. 推理判断 D. 专利申