Lesson 2 Relaxing
n.工作室，演播室 n.专家 vi.感到疼痛，遭受 （痛苦） 忍受，遭受
suffer suffer from
Think about situations in your life. Use the key words to say how relaxing or stressful they are for you.
quite relaxing, very relaxing, a little stressful, very stressful
a) studying for an exam stressful relaxing b) lying on a beach c) waiting for exam results stressful d) giving a talk to your class in your own language relaxing e) giving a talk to our class in English stressful f) shopping with a friend relaxing
You will hear the following words in the interview. Use them to complete the sentences.
studio, expert, suffer from, stress, pressure, social, reduce, organise 1. Stress can cause headaches and _____ other illnesses.
2. The interview took place in a ______. studio 3. I am shy and find social situations _____ stressful. 4. John is suffering from backache. ______________
5. The pressure of being a doctor causes _______
6. Breathing exercises can help reduce ______ stress. 7. Someone must ________ this organise year’s Christmas party.
8. Dr Smith is an ______ on losing expert
In order to live happily we must
think of ways to reduce stress, do
you think so? What ways do you
Try to predict answers to the questions. More than one answer is possible.
1. Which of these people can suffer
from a lot of stress?
a) police officers
c) factory workers d) teachers
2. Which of these can case stress?
a) a lot of free time
b) problems with people c) some social situations d) doing sport
3. What can we do to relax and reduce stress? a) organise our work/studies b) eat a lot c) do exercise d) talk to people about problems
Listen again and answer these questions: 1. When do students suffer from stress? 2. What social situations can be difficult for shy people? 3. What is a good way of organising work or studies? 4. Who can people talk to about their problems?
1. When do students suffer from stress?
When they have a lot of homework
to do and they feel they haven’t got
much time to do it all.
2. What social situations can be
difficult for shy people?
3. What is a good way of organising
work or studies?
Make a list and do all the important
4. Who can people talk to about their
A friend, someone in the family, a
Listen to Mark and complete the table
stressful activities doing exams going to parties relaxing activities reading talking to friends
talking in front of sitting and doing the class in French nothing lessons listening to music
Listen again. Use the verbs to complete the sentences in the Function File.
can’t stand, love, like, don’t like, quite like, prefer, enjoy, hate I really (1) ____ doing exams. hate I (2) can’t stand talking in front of the __________ class. I (3) don’t like going to parties very ________ much.
prefer I (4) ______ meeting people in small
I (5) _____ listening to music. enjoy
I (6) like reading. ___
I (7) quite like sitting and doing nothing. ________
I (8) ____ talking to my friends. love
Listen to Mark again. Which words or sounds does he use to hesitate?
2. mm…you know 3. You know what I mean
5. Well, mm
tapescript 1. Well. I really hate…mm…doing exams. 2. Mm, I get very nervous the night before, you know. 3. And I can’t sleep , you know what I mean?
4. Er…I get nervous and, mm, make
lots of mistakes.
5. Things I find relaxing? Well, mm,
I like a lot of things.
In pairs students act out a role play in which one person is not sure what to say
and so uses a lot of hesitation words. For
example, You borrowed your friend’s
favourite CD last week. Now she asked
you for it back you can’ t find it.
Write eight sentences about yourself ,using the verbs in the Function File.