重庆大学版 高二(5) Unit 1
1. The first recorded ancient Olympic Games were held in 776 BC in ancient Greece and were closely related to the worship of the Gods and heroes. recorded adj.
有记录的 It wasn’t a recorded show, it was live. 这不是录音表演，这是现场转播。
record: [ rek?d,ri'k?:d ] n. 记录,唱片,履历 v. 记录,将(声音等)录下
1). He has a long criminal record. 他有长期犯罪记录。
2). She holds the world record for long distance swimming. 她保持着长距离游泳的世界纪录。
3). I like records of Rolling Stones. 我喜欢滚石乐队的唱片。
4). I recorded the score in a notebook. 我在笔记本上记下了分数。
5). My voice does not record well. 我的声音录下来不好听。
be closely related to 与……息息相关
Taking exercise is closely related to health. 作运动与健康息息相关。
Emma claims to be distantly related to a noble family by marriage. 爱玛声称她是一个名门望族的远房姻亲。
The theme of the dialogue should be related to the theme of the reading passage. 对话的主题应跟阅读部分的主题相关联。
worship 名词 n. [U] 1). 崇拜;敬仰;敬神
She became an object of worship. 她成了一个被崇拜的对象。
We attended worship this morning. 今晨我们去做礼拜了。
及物动词 vt. 1). 崇拜;敬重;爱慕
She worships her lover. 她崇拜她的情人。
The Greeks used to worship several gods. 希腊人过去信奉多神。
2. From 776 BC the Greeks began to keep their calendar by Olympiads, or four-year periods between games. Olympiads n. 奥林匹克世界运动会, 四年周期 3. The ancient Greeks were highly competitive and believed strongly in the concept of competition. competitive 形容词 a. 1). 竞争的;经由竞争的,竞争性的
the competitive nature of the world 世界的竞争性
2). 好竞争的 A competitive person loves to win and hates to lose. 竞争心强的人喜欢赢讨厌输。 compete 不及物动词 vi. 1). 竞争;对抗;比赛 (+with/against/for)
We can compete with the best teams. 我们能与最好的队竞争。
2). (事物)媲美,比得上 (+with)
These paintings can’t compete in expressive power with those ones. 这些水彩画在表达能力方面比不上那些。
competition 名词 n. 1). 竞争,角逐[U] (+with/between/for)
Competition among youths to enter the best colleges is intense. 年轻人想进一流大学的竞争是很激烈的。
I entered a chess competition and finished third. 我参加了象棋比赛名列第三。
competitor 名词 n. 竞争者;对手,敌手[C]
The two friends were competitors for the class presidency. 那两位朋友在争当班长一事上是竞争对手。
compete competition competitive competitor
concept 名词 n. 概念,观念,思想[C]
He presented a new concept of the beginning of the universe. 他提出了一种宇宙起源的新概念。
3. All aspects of life, especially athletics, were centered round this concept. athletics 名词 n. 体育运动,竞技
Athletics is recommended for every student. 劝每个学生都参加运动。
名词 n. [C] 运动员,体育家
The athlete won two gold medals in the Olympics. 这位运动员在奥林匹克运动会上获得两 块金牌。
athletic 形容词 a. 运动的,体育的;运动员的,体 育家的
The school athletic meet is to be held next Tuesday. 校运动会定于下星期二举行。
4. Many of those games are the ancestors of our modern Olympic Games and had rules playing conditions our modern athletes would not be unfamiliar with. ancestor 名词 n. [C] 祖宗,祖先
She is sprung from noble ancestors. 她出身名门。
be unfamiliar with
不熟悉；生疏 I start to be unfamiliar with them. 我对它们有些生疏了。 As a new citizen, you may be unfamiliar with the features and services provided by this site. 作为一个新的公民，您可以是不熟悉的 对这个站点和服务提供的特点。
Some of you may be unfamiliar with
that word, but you know the feeling
5. They continued even after Greece had come under the rule of Romans. under the rule of 在……的统治下
Under the rule of Britain, the prosperity of the island increased considerably. 在英国统治下, 该岛的繁荣程度大为提高。
A country under the rule of law 法治国家
France was suffering under the rule of Napoleon the Third. 拿破仑三世统治下的法国苦难深重。
6. In 393 AD, a Roman emperor stopped the Games. emperor 名词 n. 皇帝[C]
the emperor’s new clothes 皇帝的新装
7. But the symbolic power of the Games lived on and came to life again in modern times. symbolic 形容词 a. 象征的,象征性的;作为象征的[(+of)]
The snake is symbolic of evil. 蛇象征邪恶。
come to life 苏醒过来
The wounded soldier came to life again. 伤兵又苏醒过来。
8. Women had to wait until the second Olympics to participate. participate 不及物动词 vi. 参加,参与[(+in)]
No professionals participated in the contest. 没有职业选手参加这一比赛。
9. At the Paris Games of 1900, women were allowed to compete, but only in tennis and golf. allow vt. 准许, 许可, 容许, 听任, 允许, 让, 给与; 承认(that)
(sb.)/sth. doing sth. sb. to do sth.
sb. be allowed to do sth. 习惯用语 allow for 考虑到; 对......留有余地; 体谅 allow of 容许; 许可
He doesn’t allow cats in the room. 他不允许猫进入房内。
We don’t allow smoking in the classroom. 我们不允许在教室里吸烟。
She allowed us to swim in the sea. 她允许我们在海里游泳。
We were allowed to read the books there. 我们被允许读那里的书。
In working with this cloth, be sure to allow for shrinking. 用这种布缝衣,务必考虑到洗后会缩水。
10. Winter sports were added to the Olympic Games as early as 1908 with figure skating. add 及物动词 vt. 1). 添加;增加[(+to)]
The fire is going out; will you add some wood? 火快熄了,请你加些木柴好吗?
“I felt sorry for her,” Bob added.
add to 增加, 加强
The heavy rain added to our difficulty. 大雨增添了我们的困难。
add up to 总计达, 总共是
The money adds up to 10’000. 这笔钱总计达10000美元。
add up 加起来, 总计
The numbers wouldn’t add up. 这些数目加起来与总数不符。
11. In 1924 the first separate Olympic Games were held in France. separate adj.单独的,独立的
Our children have separate bedrooms. 我们的孩子有各自的卧室。
及物动词 vt. 分隔;分割;使分离;使分散 (+from/into/off/up)
The two communities are separated by a small road. 这两个社区由一条小路隔开。
12…now there are the Olympic Games every two years, alternating winter and summer. alternate 形容词 a. 1). (两个)交替的,轮流的
According to the weather forecast, there will be a week of alternate rain and sunshine. 根 据天气预报,下礼拜时雨时晴。
They saw each other on alternate Sundays. 他们每隔一个星期天相会一次。
For the next few days he alternated between hope and fear. 其后几天中他时而满怀希望,时而充满恐惧。
13. In 1948, Sir Ludwig Guttmann organised a competition involving World War II disabled soldiers in England. disabled 形容词 a. 残废的;有缺陷的
The disabled are taken good care of by many others. 残疾人得到了很多人的照料。
disable 及物动词 vt. 使失去能力；使伤残
He was disabled in the accident. 他在那次事故中成了残废。
disability 名词 n. 无能;无力;残疾,残障
Blindness is a very serious disability. 失明是非常严重的残疾。
14…consistent with the current Olympic Games format… consistent 与…...一致的;符合的(+with)
His behavior is consistent with his teaching. 他的行为与其教诲相符。
1.A.previous Spell the words according to their knowledge B. context C.phonetic picture D. object symbols, write down their meanings in Chinese, E. word formation F. dictionary G. word list H. others and tell symbol in what way you learn them. Make a it Phonetic Word Meaning How you learn sentence by using each word. _______ compete ______ 比赛 1. [k?m'pi:t] 分开的 _____________ _____ separate 2. ['sepr?t]
3. [?'kw?l?t?] 4. ['?nsest?] 5. [pɑ:'t?s?pe?t] 6. ['f?:m?t] 7. ['?θli:t] 8. [d?s'e?bld]
_______ ______ equality 平等
_______ ______ ancestor 祖宗
_________ _____ 参加 participate
_______ format ______ 形式 athlete ______ 运动员 _______ _______ ______ disabled 残疾的
2. Find an appropriate phrase from the box to complete each of the following sentences. Change the form where necessary.
to life after they poured some 1. She came __________ cold water on her face. 2. ---A: Do you ________ believe in everything that the Bible says? ---B: No, I don’t. 3. The moving story the teacher told us ________ took placein ancient Rome. 4.My grandparents spent their childhood in the countryside so they were _______________ familiar with the life there.
5. The two girls compete ________ with each other ___ for the highest marks. 6. It is said that small birds ___mainly__ live on
7. What he says is not consistent _____________what with
3. Study the differences between the words in the following groups. Then complete each sentence with the proper form of the correct word. 1) break v. break n.
The window __________by was broken the stone. After a short ______the play continued. break 2) record v. record n. The doctor keeps a _______of record all the serious illnesses in the village. The songs _____________by the radio were recorded company.
3) center v. center n. Beijing is the political, economical, and cultural center _____of China. centered on how to Our thoughts ________ how to finish the work ahead of time. 4) promise n. promise v. The headmaster promised ________ to look into the matter. Do I have your _______ promise that you won’t tell anyone about this?
1)compete v. competition n. competitor n. competitive adj. A total of 10,500 athletes _________in competed 28 sports in the 2004 Olympic Games. He takes part in a swimming competition __________. You have to be highly __________to competitive do well in sport these days. Our major __________ competitors are from Hong Kong and England.
2) symbol n. symbolize v.
symbol happiness Red is regarded as the _______of in China. The use of light and dark __________good symbolizes and evil. It is difficult for her to understand the ________ symbolic art.
3) participate v. participation n. participated in Beijing How many countries ___________ Olympic Games? Tips Participation ____________in the Games is looked on not It is helpful to learn only as an achievement, but also as an honour. words in the same “family” 4) organize v. organizer n. organization n. with different parts of He is the president of a large international speech. Pay attention to organization _____________. their pronunciations. organizers They have become very competent __________ of the festival after several practices. We do not fully understand how the brain organizes _________.
4. Find in the text the related form of each word listed below, and then write it on the corresponding line. Study the words with your partner to understand how these words change their forms. connect connection ___________________ belief__________________________ believe suggest suggestion____________________ familiarity_____________________ familiar consideration_________________ consider continue continuation__________________ disability _____________________ disabled popular popularity_____________________
Ⅰ.根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母 或汉语提示，写出该单词的正确形式。 1.The marathon m_______ is a famous long-distance running race of about 42 kilometers.
2. The new rules are largely symbolic s_______.
3. I wonder who holds the r______ record for the
women’s 100 meters.
4.Wendy is so slim, however, she is interested
in ____________( weight-lifting 举重).
5. At the party, they talked of many pop
singers I was ___________ unfamiliar (不熟悉的) with. Am I out? 6. Several companies are competing ______ (竞争) for a share of the market.
Ⅱ. 用所给单词的正确形式完成下面句子。 A. equal 1. None of us can ______ equal her achievement. 2. There are an ______ equal number of boys
and girls in the class.
3. Don’t you believe in equality ______ between
men and women?
B. separate 1. It is impossible to separate ______ belief from
2. __________ Separated into four groups, the students began to talk about the subjects. 3.Police tried to separate ______ the two men who were fighting.
C. disable 1.Tai Lihua dances well in spite of her __________. disabilities 2. He was disabled ______ in a car accident.
3. It’s not polite to look down upon the
1.Happiness consists ______ in helping the people
2. His actions are always consistent ______ with his
3.It is common knowledge that a football team consists ______ of 11 players.