Unit4 Body Language
Para1 1. represent v. (1)act or speak for another person or group of people 代表 She ---s our class at the meeting. (2)be a sign of…
,symbolize 象征；表示 The redlines on the maps --- railways. (3)be a picture or statue of…用图画描绘；雕出 The picture ---s a hunting scene.
(4)describe sb/sth as…描述成… represent sb/sth/oneself as… (5)express or point out to sb often angrily 陈述（抗议，申述） --- sth to sb You should --- your complaints to the boss. representation n. 代表，代理 make ---s to sb. 向某人提出抗议，呼吁 representative n. 代表（人/物），典型 adj 有代表性的，典型的
2. curiously adv.--curious adj.--curiosity n. curious (1)eager to know 好奇的，有求知欲的 be --- about sth/ to do/ whI’m --- to know what she said. --- neighbours are always talking about his family. (2)strange, unusual 奇特的，不寻常的 She looks --- with green hair.
curiosity n. out of --- 出于好奇 full of --- 充满好奇 burning --- 强烈的好奇心 satisfy one’s --- 满足某人的好奇心
He opened the letter addressed to his sister out of ---. give in to his burning ---
para2 3. approach v. (1)come near 走近，靠近 He is ---ing 80. The time is ---ing when we will have to leave. (2)go to sb for help 接近某人 I find him difficult to ---. Did he --- you about lending him money? (3)begin to deal with对付，处理 --- a problem
approach n. (1)临近，接近 The --- of summer brings hot weather. (2)a way of getting in 通路，入口 All --- es to the town were blocked. (3)a method of doing sth方法，步骤 a new ---to cancer treatment (4)打交道 make ---es to sb I’m not good at making ---es to strangers.
At the meeting they discussed three different _______ to the study of mathematics. 06湖北 A. approaches B. means C .methods D. ways
4. kiss her on the cheek vt. + sb. + 介(on/in/by)+the +人体部位
(1) hit/strike/touch/pat sb in the face/stomach/eye on the head/shoulder/back (2)take/pull/grasp/seize/catch/hold/ sb by the hand/arm/ear/nose
5. she stepped back appearing surprised and put up her hands, as if in defence. (1) appearing surprised (2) as if (she was) in defence in defence of 为保卫… defend … against…保卫…以免受到… 6. a major misunderstanding adj. 主要的，重要的；主修的；严重的 n.主修课程，专业;某专业的学生 vi 主修 --- in She ---ed in maths at university.
7. reach his hand out to … reach v. (1)stretch out one’s hand to touch,grasp or take sth伸手以触到，抓到，拿到… --- for sth; --- out to sb./sth He ---ed for his gun. ---for the stars We --- out to those in need. (2)get and give sth to sb伸手取某物递给某人 ---sb sth; --- sth for sb
(3)extend to sth, be able to touch sth 延伸到，够得着 --- the apple on the tree Her hair ---es down to the waist. (4)get in touch with …取得联络 I can’t --- him on this telephone number. (5)get to, achieve 到达，获得 ---London/ the end of the book The news ---ed me yesterday. --- a conclusion/ decision
reach n. 伸手可达的距离；能力，权力..所能及 beyond/ out of/ within one’s reach the reach of…
para3 8. on the contrary 与此相反 It doesn’t seem ugly to me; ---, I think it’s nice. contrary adj --- opinions 相反的观点 opinions --- to mine be --- to the law contrary to : prep违反，对抗 --- to our advice, he gave up his job.
para4 9. not all…, nor… (1)部分否定：not+完全肯定的词(all,both,every,each) 全部否定：none, neither, no one, nobody, nothing,never (2) 也不：nor/neither+be/助/情+主=not…,either. 也是： so+ +be/助/情+主=…,too. =…also…
10. 表示可能 (1) sb/sth be likely to do It is likely that--for sb to do (2) It is possible that--for sb to do There is a possibility that--(3) It is probable that--(4) There is a chance/ much chance that--There are chances that--Chances are that---
para5 11. in general 大体上,一般地 --- generally speaking general adj (1)普通的，全面的 a matter of --- concern 公众关心的事情 the --- public 人民大众 (2)一般的，非专门的 ---knowledge/hospital/education (3)大致的，不详细的 --- impression/idea
an organization of people joined together for a shared purpose association a place in a factory, school…where meals are sold canteen a larger room for sleeping in dormitory an act of flying; a journey through air or space flight
move suddenly, quickly; rush dash a fully grown person or animal adult 第一个到的人 the first person to arrive 往后退，迈步 step back nod at… 朝…点头 spoken language 口语
Find these words and expressions in your text.
Para1 represent, student association, meet international students, student canteen, curiously
Para2 introduce …to, approach, touch her shoulder, kiss her on the cheek, step back, in defence, a major misunderstanding, reach his hand out Para3 move close to, shake hands, on the contrary, nod at Para4 Not all…， nor, be likely to Para5 in general, avoid difficulties
1.speak or act for another person or group represent
2.wanting to know about something curious
3.move nearer to someone approach
4.probably do something be likely to
5.not limited to one part general
6. protect against attack defend
7.prevent something bad from avoid happening
How international students greet each other 1. Tony走近Julia，摸了摸她肩膀，并亲了亲她的脸。 2. Julia后退了几步，看上去有点吃惊，并举起了手， 好像在自卫。 3. George把手伸向Akira Nagata，此时Akira Nagata 正在鞠躬，他的鼻子碰到了George的手。 4. 当我向Ahmed Aziz作自我介绍时，他靠我很近， 并跟我握手。 5.Darlene Coulon和Tony握手，并且在对方脸颊上吻了 两下。
1. represent v. 代表,象征；描绘 represent…as… 把…描绘成… represent oneself to be/ as… 自称是… 1)representation n. 代表 2)representative adj. 有代表性的，典型的 n. 代表
2. curiously adv. 好奇地 1) curious adj.好奇的 be --- about 对…感到好奇 that/wh-句子 to do 渴望做某事
2) curiosity n. 好奇心+about sth/ to do
1. Curiously , I had met John’s new friend before. 2. I am curious about what has happened. 3. We were curious to know when we could conquer the swine flu. curiosity 4. She has burning to know what’s going on.
The time for final examination is---ing.
2) n. 接近；方法，途径；通路
--- to (doing)sth
The --- to the house was a narrow path. take a scientific---to (solving) the problem. at the approach of 在…快到的时候
They store quantities of food at the --- of winter.
4. be likely to do 1)likely adj. 可能的 He is the --- winner of the election. 2) be likely to do = It is likely that…
He’s --- to arrive a bit late.
It’s --- that they will lose the election.
3) possible, likely, probable 可能性： possible ＜ likely ＜ probable It is possible/probable/likely that… Sb be likely to do It is possible for sb to…
5. general 1) adj. 普遍的，一般的 The school gives a good --- education. 2) in general / generally speaking
一般来说，总的来说 ---, women live longer than men.
---, men are taller than women.
6. defend v 防御；辩护 defend … against …. 保卫…以免受 He tried to---his reputation. She had to --- herself against the guard dog. defence n. in --- of… 为保卫…
fight in --- of one’s country
7. major adj. 主要的，重要的；主修的；严重的 The Sun is the --- source of energy for our planet. n.主修课程，专业;某专业的学生 vi 主修 --- in She ---ed in maths at university.
Not all cultures greet each other the same way, nor are they Comfortable in the same way with touching or distance between people.
1) not all 部分否定=all … not Not all the children are naughty. = All the children are not naughty every/each … not = not every/each 并非每个 both/all … not = not both/all 并非都
2) nor 连词，“也不”，连接否定的并列成分。
I have no brothers, nor any sisters.
Neither my mother nor my father went to university. 3)nor 放在句首，该句子用倒装的语序.
Nobody can learn body language in one day, nor can I ________.
2.与…交流 3. 很可能 4.向 …介绍 5.向…点头 6. 与…握手 7. 相反地 8. 站得很近
body language communicate with be likely to introduce … to nod at… shake hands with on the contrary stand very close to
9.伸出手 reach one’s hand out 10.避免交际中 avoid difficulties in communication 的困难
1. Yesterday, another students and I, representing our university’s students association , went to the Capital International Airport to meet this year’s international students. 2. I saw several young people enter the waiting area looking around curiously. 3. Tony approached Julia, touched her shoulder and kissed her on the cheek. 4. She stepped back appearing surprised her hands, as if in defence . and put up
5. Not all cultures greet each other the same way, nor are they comfortable in the same way with or distances between people. 6. However, people from places like Spain , Italy or South American countries approach others closely and are more likely to touch them.
7. In general , though, studying international customs can certainly help avoid difficulties in today’s world of cultural crossroads .