Unit 3 Australia
第一部分：英语知识运用 语法和词汇知识 1. He is a highly _________ doctor in the through out the town. A. respective B. respected C. respectful D. respecting
2. The concert has
been canceled __________ lack of support. A. as C. was because of B. owing to D. lead to
3. There are strict limits on ____________ the country because a lot of social problem could arises and the country can’t take in a lot of new blind comers. . A. emigration ito C. emigration out of 4. B. immigration into D. emigration into
It's not by any means a brilliant salary but it's ________for our needs. A. adequate B. abundant C. accurate D. attached
5. They are purely __________ weapons, not designed for attacks. A. offensive C. offence B. defensive D. defensible
6. The cancer risks ___________ smoking have been well documented. A. involved with C. associating with 7. ---Why do you look so upset? ---There are so many troublesome problems _____. A. remaining to be settled C. remaining to settle B. remained settled D. remained to be settled B. involving with D. associated with
8. ________ a vocation, and you’ll forget unhappy things A. Going on C. Go on B. To go on D. If you go on
9. The boss appeared ______ the accident and was not surprised at the news. A. to know B. to have known C. knowing D. having known
10. Sorry, I haven’t got enough cash to pay for the bill. I have __________ 10 yuan with me. Can I pay for it with my a credit card? A. no less than C. no more than B. no fewer than D. much more than
11. ______ surprised the family most was ________ the girl played basketball very well. A. That; that B. That; what C. What; that D.What; what
12. She decides to climb the high mountain _________ as she is a _________ person. A. alone , determined C. alone, determining B. lonely, determined D. lonely, determining
13. I remember _______ this used to be a very small village. A. when B. how C. where D. what
14. Since she left home, I have been worried about her and _____ well at all. A. was sleeping C. haven’t been sleeping B. wasn’t sleeping D. have been sleeping
15. You must __________for catching colds for the weather is so changeable at this time every year A. look up B. look into C. look for D. look out
和 D)中，选出可以填入空白处的最佳选项。 I was sure that I was to be killed. I became terribly 16 . I fumbled(摸索) in 17 18 their search. I the bars at the
my pockets to see if there were any cigarettes, which had found one. But I had no matches, for they had taken those. I jailer(狱卒). He did not make eye contact with me. I got a 20 19
out to him, ―Have you
?‖ He looked at me, shrugged (耸肩) and came over to light my 21 . I don't know why I did that. It was as though a
cigarette. As he came close, I spark jumped across the the 23 22
between our two hearts. My smile leaped through
and generated a smile on his lips, too. He lit my cigarette but stayed 24,
looking at me directly in the eyes.
at him, and his looking at me seemed to have a new 26 ?‖ he asked. ―Yes, here, here.‖ I took out 28, took out the 29 . My eyes
dimension(方面) too. ―Do you have my wallet and 27
fumbled for the pictures of my family. He,
pictures of his family and began to talk about his plans and hopes for filled with tears, I said that I 30
that I’d never see my family again, never have 32 , without another
the 31 to see them grow up. Tears came to his eyes, too. word, he
33 my cell and silently led me out. Out of the jail, quietly and by back
routes, out of the town. My life was saved by a smile. Yes, the smile―the 34 , unplanned, natural
connection between people. I really believe that if that part of you and that part of me could recognize each other, we wouldn't be enemies. We couldn't have envy or fear. 16. A. excited 17. A. escaped 18. A. broke off 19. A. called 20. A. light 21. A. cried 22. A. size 23. A. prison 24. A. far 25. A. smiling 26. A. pictures 27. A. freely 28. A. finally 29. A. them 30. A. promised 31. A. idea 32. A. Suddenly 33. A. broke B. lonely B. attracted B. bent down B. let B. watch B. laughed B. gap B. bars B. calm B. shouting B. kids B. strongly B. however B. me B. intended B. chance B. Gradually B. blocked C. impatient C. confused C. looked through C. reached C. cigarette C. smiled C. weight C. noise C. near C. staring C. time C. unwillingly C. too C. fun C. insisted C. desire C. Politely C. unlocked D. nervous D. misled D. fixed up 35 or
D. ran D. key D. whispered D. rate D. silence D. angry D. pointing D. strength D. nervously D. accidentally D. pleasure D. feared D. hope D. Skillfully D. left
34. A. impossible 35. A. hate
B. invisible B. dream
C. unknown C. competition
D. unaffected D. poverty
第二部分：阅读理解 阅读下列短文，从每题所给的四个选项（A、B、C 和 D）中，选出最佳选项。 A One answer to the question of land shortage was suggested by an organization some years ago. A city was to be built at sea, housing 30,000 people. The suggestion was to shape the city like a harbor(港口).The outer wall of the harbor would stand on steel columns resting on the sea-bed. Naturally this could only be where the water was fairly shallow. The people would like to live in flats in the fifty-metre high outer wall. The flats would be all face inwards, and would be made of concrete(混泥土) and glass. The glass would be specially made and colored to control the heat and strong light from the sun. The planners called this man-made harbor would be calm. On it would be floating islands carrying more building: a hospital, two theaters, museum, an art exhibition hall and a church. On one of the islands would be a special factory to take the salt out of sea water and turn it into fresh water. People living in the city could move around on small boats driven by electricity, so there would be no air pollution from the burning of gas. There would be platforms outside the man wall for ships bringing supplies. People could also travel to the mainland by motorboat or water plane.
36. What was suggested about the construction of a new city at sea? A. The city was to be designed together with a harbor. B. The walls around the city would be made of steel and glass. C. The building of the city would rest on a floating island. D. The people would live in tall building surrounded by a wall. 37. How would fresh water be supplied to the city? A. By treating sea water. B. By getting it from the surrounding islands.
C. By building a small lake of fresh water inside the city. D. By transporting it from the mainland. 38. The suggestion made by the organization is to solve the problem that _______. A. there is not enough space for building cities on land B. land transportation has became increasingly difficult C. there are too many people on land D. present cities are heavily polluted by cars 39. The purpose of the writer is _______. A. to suggest how new type of harbor could be built at sea B. to give a description of a new-type city C. to draw people's attention to the problem of air pollution D. to introduce a new way of building harbor-cities
B How to Order Ordering from BooksFirst is easy and safe. SELECTING YOUR BOOKS When you have found a book you would like to order, just click on Add to Basket and it will be added to your shopping basket. To make it easy to keep track of the books you’ve selected, My Shopping Basket will display your choices wherever you are on the site. When you’re ready to place your order, select View Basket. VIEW BASKET This is where you select the postal destination for your order, indicate whether you would like Next Day Delivery in the UK and choose gift-wrapping. You can also amend (修改) the contents of your basket by making any changes and then selecting Update Basket. Overseas customers ordering three or more books can also request reduced
airmail charges here. When you’re happy with the contents of your shopping basket, go to the Secure Checkout. THE ORDER FORM After you’ve completed the order form, you will receive an on-screen acknowledgment. This will be followed by an email confirming the details of your order. We will then inform you when your order has been sent. If this is your first order, we will also inform you of your personal BooksFirst account number. YOUR FIRST ORDER We’ll send you a personal account number after you have placed your first order. For following orders all you need to do is enter your personal account number and email address. RETURNING CUSTOMERS If you have ordered from us before, online, by mail or telephone, you will have already owned a personal account number. You then only need to complete the full order form. Using your account number allows us to find your details from our records (they are not accessible online). However, you do not need your BooksFirst personal account number to place an order—simply present all the required details on the order form. If you don’t have a note of your account number just Contact us so that we can supply it to you.
40. We can probably read this advertisement ______. A. in a newspaper C. on the Internet B. in a magazine D. on TV
41. The information under RETRUNING CUSTOMERS is for those _____. A. who have forgotten their BooksFirst account numbers B. who haven’t got their BooksFirst account numbers C. who have experienced BooksFirst online shopping before
D. who have never done online shopping before 42. Which of the following is true? A. You must put what you choose in a basket as you do in a supermarket. B. You can find your Shopping Basket nowhere but in View Basket. C. You will pay less if you are an overseas customer and buy over three books. D. You can get an account number only after you place an order online 43. The purpose of this advertisement is________. A. to promote the sale of books B. to show the procedure of ordering books online C. to help readers apply for account numbers D. to supply account numbers to readers
C More than 6000 children were expelled(开除) from US school last year for bringing guns and bombs to school, the US Department of Education said on May 8. The department gave a report to the expulsions( 开除) as saying handguns accounted for 58 percent of the 6093 expulsions in 1996---97, against 7 percent for rifles(步枪) or shotguns and 35 percent for other types of firearms. ―The report is a clear sign that our nation's public schools are cracking down(严 惩) on students who bring guns to school,‖ Education Secretary Richard Riley said in a statement. ―We need to be tough-minded about keeping guns out of our schools and do everything to keep our children safe.‖ In March1997, an 11 years old boy and 13 years old boy using handguns and rifles shot dead four children and a teacher at a school in Jonesboro, Arkansas. In October, two were killed and seven wounded in a shooting at a Mississippi school. Two months later, a 14-year-old boy killed three high school students and wounded five in Dasucah, Kentucky. Most of the expulsions, 56 percent, were from high school, which have students from about age 13. 34 percent were from junior high schools and 9 percent were from elementary schools, the report said.
44. The main idea of the passage is that in the US schools _______. A. students enjoy shooting B. students are eager to be soldiers C. safety is a problem D. students can make guns 45. From what Richard Riley said we can infer that ________. A. the number of the expulsions is not large B. the number of the expulsion is wrong C there are soldiers hiding among the students D. guns are out of control in US schools 46. The main idea of paragraph four shows us ______. A. some examples of shoot in US schools. B. the American's feeling. C. some famous schools. D. that some teachers were killed by students. 47. From this passage we get to know that ________. A. every American cannot have guns B. only soldiers and police can have guns C. every American citizen can own guns D. teachers have no money to buy guns
D All over the world, libraries have begun the Herculean(巨大的) task of making faithful digital copies of the books, images and recordings that preserve the intellectual effort of mankind. For armchair scholars, the work promises to bring such a wealth of information to desktop that the present Internet may not match. Librarians see three clear benefits to going digital. First, it helps them preserve rare and fragile objects without refusing the demands of those who wish to study them.
The British Library, for example, holds the only medieval manuscript（手稿）of Beowulf in London. Only qualified scholars were allowed to see it until Kevin S. Kiernan of the University of Kentucky scanned the Manuscript with three different light sources and put the images up on the Internet for anyone to use. A second benefit is convenience. Once books are changed to digital form, readers can find them in seconds rather than minutes. Several people can read the same book or view the same picture at the same time. Clerks are spared the chore of reshelving. And libraries could use the Internet to lend their collections to those who are unable to visit in person. The third advantage of electronic copies is that they occupy millimeters of space on a magnetic disk rather than meters on a shelf. The cost of library buildings is increasingly high. The University of California at Berkeley recently spent $ 46 million on an underground addition to house 1.5 million books----an average cost of $30 per volume. The price of disk storage, on the contrary, has fallen to about $ 2 per 300-page publication and continues to drop.
48. What is the message in the first paragraph? A. More people can read precious books. B. The Internet provides more information. C. Libraries are making efforts to preserve books. D. Libraries are making digital copy of books. 49. Which words in the second paragraph help you to identify the supporting points? A. three, First, for example C. helps, holds, scanned B. benefits, manuscript, scholars D. clear, qualified, different
50. Which of the following is mentioned in the text as benefits of going digital? A. Fewer staff will be required in libraries. B. Libraries will be able to move underground. C. Borrowers need not go to the library building. D. Old manuscripts can be moved more easily. 51. How is the text organized?
A. Opinion – Description C. Main idea – Comparison
B. Message – Explanation D. Introduction – Conclusion
E Well, when the huge wave hit the boat, my safety belt broke and I was swept overboard. I don’t really understand how it happened, but it did. I heard someone yell out, but then my boat, Wild One, went off into the darkness and I was alone in a very rough sea. I then spent five and a half hours in the water. The place where it happened was, oh, about 50 kilometers from shore. It was likely that I wouldn’t see another day, but I always thought I’d overcome the difficulties. At first I was watching out for Wild One. The rest of the crew knew I was gone, so they were sure to come back and look for me. After a while, I saw the boat’s lights when it came looking for me. They were within about 300 meters of me, but the spotlight just missed me. The reason why they didn’t see me was because of the huge waves. You know, I started sailing when I was seven, and started ocean racing when I was about eighteen, but I’d never been overboard before. I believed I was going to survive, but it was very cold, and as the hours passed I started to get desperate——and frozen! It was around 5 am when I saw the lights of a tanker coming towards me. I figured it was probably my last chance. At first, I thought they were going to miss me, and then they made a slight turn and I yelled out ―Help!‖ and they heard me. Then another yacht appeared. These guys were terrific. They gave me dry clothes, and then one jumped into the bunk and hung onto me. They covered us with as much dry clothing as they could, and the guy in with me stayed to transfer his body heat to me.
52. The author of the passage was alone in the sea NOT because ______. A. the wind was too strong C. the safety belt was broken B. the wave hit the boat D. his boat was in the darkness
53. He was not saved by his crew because _______. A. he didn’t yell out ―Help!‖ C. he was not found B. 300 meters was long distance D. he didn’t see the spotlight
54. It was inferred from the passage that _______. A. he was swept overboard at about midnight B. Wild One was the name of a crew member C. he started ocean racing at about seven D. he was too hopeless to take the last chance 55. One of the guys who saved him jumped into the bunk in order to ________. A. cover him with more dry clothes B. warm him with his body heat C. comfort him D. congratulate him
此题要求改正所给短文中的错误.对标题号的每一行做出判断： 如无错误， 在 该行右边的横线上划（√） ；如有错误（每行只有一个错误） ，则按下列情况改正： 此行多一个词：把多余的词用斜线划掉，在该行右边横线上写出该词，并也用斜 线划掉. 此行缺一个词：在缺词处加一个漏字符号（^） ，在该行右边横线上写出 该加的词.此行错一个词：在错的词下划一横线，在该行右边横线上写出改正后 的词. 注意：原行没有错的不要改. Last night I was getting ready for the coming examination when the noise from my neighbor interrupts me. The noise went on and on. It was too loudly that I could hardly pay attention to my study any longer. So I went to my neighbor’s houses and said to him：―Excuse me, would you please turn up the TV？I’m preparing for tomorrow’s examination.‖Hear these words, his face turned red. But he said, ―OK,I will. I’m very sorry have made so much noise. Just now, the football game was very wonderful. I was too exciting to control myself. I won’t do that again. Good luck in the your coming examination.‖ After that, I got down to my study. 56. 57. 58. 59. 60. 61. 62. 63. 64. 65.
假如你是某报社―Heart to Heart‖ 栏目的编辑， 专门负责解答读者生活中这样或那 样的困惑。仔细阅读下面 Xu Ling 同学的这封信，然后以栏目编辑的身份写一篇 回复，对 Xu Lin 同学存在的问题给以解答或提供建议。
Dear Editor, I am a Senior 1 girl. I use to have a lot of friends. But they have left me, one after another. I don’t know why. Some of them said I am a selfish girl, but I don’t know what I have done wrong. Could you help me? Yours, Xu Ling
参考答案： 1—5 BBBAB 6—10 DACBC 16—20 DACAA 36—40 CAABC 11—15 CABCD 26—30 BDCAD 46—50 ACDAC 31—35 BACDA 51—55 BDCAB
21—25 CBBCA 41—45 CDBCD
58．too→so 60．up→down 61．Hear→Hearing
59．houses→house 或 houses 62．But→And 65．the 或 your
63．sorry∧have to 64．Exciting→excited
A possible version: Dear Xu Ling, It is important to have a sense of yourself. But you must learn how to care about others as well. Check yourself to see whether you were selfish sometimes. Try to have a heart-to heart talk with your former friends, telling them how much you value their friendship. Remember that the more effort you make, the more friends you will gain. However, there are other possibilities for your friends’ leaving. Maybe their personalities no longer match yours. Maybe their goals differ from yours. It is very common to have friends come and go throughout your life.