A short history of western painting
What do we call these things? ----
you name some famous painting and painters?
Can you match the painting and the painters?
Can you tell the ages of the paintings?
Who are your favorite painters from China?
Why do you like them? …for their painting is very vivid, or their paintings show the real life of the nature or the people in the old days….
Comparison of Western and Chinese painting. Time Western Chinese 5th to 15th century AD 15th to 16th century Late 19th century to early 20th century Which do you think has a 20th century to greater change? Why? today
Let’s know some famous Western artists!
Giotto di Bondone 乔托·迪 邦多纳 乔托 迪·邦多纳
Giotto di Bondone (1267 - 1337). Florentine painter and architect. He was recognized as the first genius of art in the Italian Renaissance. Giotto lived and worked at a time when people’s minds and talents were first being freed from the shackles of medieval restraint. He dealt largely in the traditional religious subjects, but he gave these subjects an earthly, full-blooded life and force.
Leonardo da Vinci (1452-1519)
Michelangelo Bounaroti (1475－ (1475－1564) 米开朗基罗 Creation of Adam
Raffaello Sanzio (1483-1520) 拉斐尔
The School of Athens
Masaccio(1401-1427), the first great painter of the Italian Renaissance, whose innovations in the use of scientific perspective inaugurated the modern era in painting.
Madonna with Child and Angels
Match the words with the correct meanings: [A] a. realistic b. abstract c. existence [B] 1. state or fact of existing 2. lifelike, true to life 3. being in thought but having a physical or practical existence
d. detailed e. religious f. traditional
4. classical, of old beliefs 5. accurate, minute 6. sincere to believe in a god or gods
Compare the two paintings
Gods are painted
People are painted.
赛艇--局斯塔夫 卡耶博特 赛艇 局斯塔夫·卡耶博特 局斯塔夫
莫瑞桥--阿尔弗莱德·西斯莱 莫瑞桥--阿尔弗莱德·西斯莱 阿尔弗莱德
蓬图瓦兹. 蓬图瓦兹. 埃尔米塔日的坡地 --卡米耶 毕沙罗 卡米耶·毕沙罗 卡米耶
戴帽的自画像--塞尚作 戴帽的自画像 塞尚作 被称为”现代艺术的起源” 被称为”现代艺术的起源”
1. What’s the main idea of the text ? The style of Western art has changed a lot with time going by. 2.How many styles of Western painting are mentioned in the text? What are they? Four. They are: The Middle Ages, The Renaissance, Impressionism and Modern art.
Skimming 1. What were the artists interested in from 5th to 15th century AD? Creating _______ and ____ for God. respect love 2. How did Masaccio paint his paintings? He drew things in__________, which perspective makes pictures very _______. realistic
3. Why did the impressionists have to paint quickly? Because the natural light _______ changes quickly, they had to _____ quickly. paint
Scanning 1. Which of the following statements is true? A. Paintings in Middle Ages were very realistic. B. Western art has changed a lot since the 5th century. C. Impressionist paintings were painted mainly indoors. D. Modern art began in the Renaissance.
2. At first most people hated the impressionists’ style of painting, because _____. A. their painting were very abstract. B. their painting were very realistic. C. They broke away from the traditional style of painting. D. their paintings were very ridiculous.
3. In the Renaissance, painters___. A. Painted religious scenes in a more realistic style. B. focused more on religion than on humans. C. began to paint outdoors. D. returned to classical Roman and Greek ideas about art.
4. ____discovered how to make paintings look more real by using perspective. A. Giotto di Bondone. B. Masaccio. C. Claude Monet. D. Pablo Picasso
5. What does the text mainly tell us? A. How religious painting developed. B. How oil painting developed. C. How impressionist painting developed. D. How western art developed.
Detailed Reading: True or False 1. Western art has changed very little over the last seventeen centuries. F 2. Painters in the Middle Ages painted mainly religious subjects. T 3. Paintings in the Middle Ages were very realistic. F 4. Renaissance painters tried to paint things in a realistic way. T
5. Two important discoveries in the Renaissance period were oil paints and drawing in perspective. T 6. Impressionists painted their pictures mainly indoors. F 7. At first people did not like the impressionists’ paintings. T 8. Modern art began with the impressionists. T
Listen to the tape and fill in the chart: Ages Middle Ages Renaissance Impressionis m Modern Time Artist Feature
Ages: Middle Ages Time: 5th to 15th century AD Artist: Giotto Feature: Religious, realistic
Ages: the Renaissance Time: 15th to 16th century AD Artist: Masaccio Feature: perspective, realistic
Ages: impressionism Time: Late 19th to early 20th Artist: not mentioned Feature: Not detailed, ridiculous
Ages: modern art Time: 20th century to today Artist: not mentioned Feature: controversial, abstract, realistic
Discussion of the text structure
What is the text structured? It is a historical report. The first paragraph introduces the topic and the theme of the text and then state what the rest of the text will be about. The rest of the report presents the information in chronological order and relates this to the them of the change in artistic style reflecting cultural change.
Now can you tell which period the following pictures belong to?
Now draw the history of western painting: Middle Ages,from 5th to 15th century. The Renaissance: from 15th to 16 century Impressionism: late 19th to early 20 century
Modern Art: from 20th to today
The style of Western art has changed __________, while Chinese art has many times changed less often Art is _________ by ________. influenced the way of ___ and beliefs ______. life During the Middle Ages, the main ____ aim of painters was to _________________ represent religious themes. Artists were ___________ interested in creating respect and _____for God. ______ love
In the Renaissance, people became _______ focused more on _______and less on religion _______. humans Artists tried to paint ______ people and ______ __ they really were ____. nature as Masaccio used __________ in his perspective paintings which made people convinced ________ they were ______________ a hole in looking through the wall __ a real scene. at
In the late 19th century, Europe changed a great deal from a mostly __________ __________ ________ agricultural society to a mostly industrial one. The ____________ were the first to impressionists paint outdoors They had to paint ________. ______ quickly and their paintings were not __ as ______________ detailed as those of earlier painters.
Today people accept _____________ impressionists’ ________ _________ modern paintings as the beginning of _______ _______. Some modern art is abstract _______while some is ___. realistic art
Work in pairs: What styles of painting there will be in the future?
1. Look for more information about paintings in http://tu.tom.com/list/culture.html 2. Read the text more after class.