I. Warming up
1. What’s the meaning of the word the science of stars; “Astronomy ”? 2. Do you know the following terms? star, planet, the sun / moon / earth, sol
恒星 ?行星 太阳系
3. How many planets are in the solar system?
Scientists now think Pluto is too small to be called a planet.
4. Do you know the correct order of their distance to the sun? nearest to the sun?
farthest to the sun?
5. The names of eight planets. ? Mercury 1) 水星 ? Venus 2) 金星 ? Earth 3) 地球 ? Mars 4) 火星 ? Jupiter 5) 木星 ? Saturn 6) 土星 ? Uranus 7) 天王星 ? Neptune 8) 海王星
In this unit, we’ll learn something more scientific. 1.What’s the title of the text?
2. From the title, we can predict that the text may tell us the origin of life on the earth. Do you know some stories about it?
Pangu separates the sky from the earth.
Nvwa made humans.
I. Read the passage and match the main idea with each paragraph.
Para. 1 Para. 2
Para. 4 Para. 5
The formation (形成) of the earth. The importance of water for life. A widely accepted theory about the formation of the universe. The arrival of humans and their impact on the earth. The development of plants and animals on the earth.
Read the passage quickly and answer the questions.
1. When did the “Big Bang” happen? 2. What form was the earth after the “Big Bang”? 3. What made up the earth’s atmosphere 4. How did water come into being on the earth? 5. What’s the significance of the presence of water on the earth? 6.What was important to the development of fish? 7. What made possible the rise of mammals on the earth? 8. Why are mammals different from all life forms in the past?
Read the passage quickly and answer the questions.
1. When did the “Big Bang” happen?
It happened several billion years
2. What form was the earth after the “Big Bang”? The earth was still just a cloud of dust. 3. What made up the earth’s atmosphere after the earth exploded? Carbon, nitrogen, water vapour and other gases.
4. How did water come into being on
As the earth cooled down after it
exploded, water came into being.
5. What’s the significance of the presence of water on the earth? It allowed the earth to dissolve
harmful gases and acids into the
oceans and seas.
6. What was important to the development of fish? oxygen. 7. What made possible the rise of mammals on the earth? The disappearance of dinosaurs made the possible the rise of mammals on the earth.
8. Why are mammals different from all life forms in the past? They gave birth to young baby animals and produced milk to feed them.
Finish the Exercise 2 on the book according to the questions above.
Stage 1 : The development of the earth
Stage 2 : The development of life (para 4—5)
Stage 1: The development of the earth (1) After the Big Bang, what was the earth like? a cloud of dust a solid globe
(2) What happened next? exploded with fire and rock produced water vapour and gases
(3) What did the water vapour and gases form?
the earth’s atmosphere
(4) What appeared as the earth cooled down?
water is important for the beginning of life on the earth.
Why is water so important for the beginning of life?
Because water allowed the earth to dissolve harmful gases into oceans and seas.
Stage2 The development of life
1.What life developed after water appeared? small plants appears in water
2.What life developed in water next? Shellfish and all sorts of fish
3.What about the life on land? green plants began to grow on land insects appeared
4. What life developed next on land?
amphibians on land and in the water forests
5.What life developed after forests appeared?
reptiles appeared dinosaur developed
6.What life developed after dinosaurs? mammals on land
7. What life developed after mammals? small clever animals
1.Who are the small clever animals with hands and feet? 2. Are they taking care of the earth well? Why?
Because they are putting too much carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, which prevents heat from escaping from the earth into space.
The earth may become too hot to live on .
Can you fill in the blanks?
1 small plants in water
shellfish and all 2 sorts of fish 4 insects 5 amphibians 7 8 9 10
3Green plants on land
reptiles dinosaurs mammals humans
Can you put the order of development of life into a time line?
8 1. Insects and amphibians appeared. 3 3. The earth became a solid ball. 9 5. Reptiles appeared. 2 7. The earth was a cloud of dust 6 9. Shellfish and other fish appeared. 12 11. Clever animals with hands and feet appeared 10 2. Dinosaurs appeared. 4.Small plants grew on the water. 7 6. Plants began to grow on dry land. 4 8. Water appeared on the earth 1 10. The universe began with a “Big Band”. 11 12. Mammals appeared. 5
Ex.2 on P27
III. Fill in the blanks in the following form. Time Big Bang What happened Atoms began to form and ______ combine to create stars and other bodies.
Between 4.5 and 3.8 billion years ago
●Dust settled into a solid violent globe. and ______ ●The earth exploded to produce its ___________. atmosphere ●The continuedpresence ________ of water allowed the earth to dissolve harmful gases acids and _____ into the oceans and seas.
Many ●The first small plants on millions of the surface of the water oxygen years later produced _______. ●Earlyshellfish _______ and all sorts of fish appeared. ●Green plants began to grow on land. amphibians ●Insects and ___________ appeared.
Reptiles appeared Many millions ●________ of years later and they laid eggs. ●Dinosaurs developed, laid eggs existed for more and _______ than 140 million years. gave birth to ● Mammals rose and ____________ babies.
About 2.6 million years ago
●Some small ______ clever animals with hands and feet appeared and spread all over the earth. Humans produce too much carbon dioxide _______, making the earth too hot.
IV. True (T) or False (F). 1. The earth appeared before the Big F Bang happened. 2. The original atmosphere consisted of nitrogen and oxygen. F 3. The main difference between the earth and other planets is that there is water on the earth. T T 4. Life began in water and then on land.
5. Mammals appeared before the development of dinosaurs. F 6. Dinosaurs could give birth to young baby animals and produced milk to feed them. F 7. Human beings produce too much carbon dioxide which causes the global warming on the earth. T 8. According to the text, human beings F would disappear in the end.
We have only one earth!!!
Disscusing What should we do for our earth?
You can use the following words or phrases to help you: prevent… from… harmful warming carbon dioxide depend on atmosphere as a result global in turn thus