Reading strategies: Make a guess according to What’s the connection between them? the title before reading.
A.Strangers B. Friends
C. Father and son
Teacher and student
Elias: a poor black worker in South Africa. The text tells us about his life and what he did with Nelson Mandela to fight for black people.
Black people’s life at that time:
1. 质量; 品质; 性质
2. 乐意的; 自愿的 quality willing n. adj. n.
3. 共和国; 共和政体 republic principle 4. 法则; 原则
5. 和平的; 平静的 6. 继续 peaceful
7. 费(会费,学费); 酬金 8. 投票; 选举 9. 暴力; 暴行 10. 攻击，进攻 11. 平等
fee vote violence attack equal
n. n. & vt. n. v. n.
12. 反黑人的 13. 判决; 宣判
14. 民主主义; 国家主义 nationalism n. livelihood n. 15. 生计;谋生
1. 乐意做某事 2. 愿意让某人做某事 3. 建议某人做某事 4. 处于不幸中 5. 为了---而战 6. 与---作战 be willing to do sth. be willing for sb. to do sth. advise sb. to do sth. in trouble fight for … fight against …
7. 继续做某事 continue to do sth. 8. 担心 worry about 9. 失业 out of work 10. 非洲民族会议 African National Congress 11. 事实上 as a matter of fact 12. 使充气 blow up 13. 把…投入监狱 put … in prison 14. 与…平等的 be equal to
15. 当权; 上台
come to power set up be sentenced to … in principle
16. 设立; 建立
17. 被判决…… 19. 原则上
18. 对(于) …很积极 be active in (doing) sth.
Read the text for the first time and finiesh
the following tasks. Try to find the main idea of the text: The life of Elias’ changed before and after he met Nelson Mandela, and what Mandela did.
How many parts can the text be divided into? Give the general idea of each part.
Part I Paragraph 1-2 The life of Elias’ life
before he met Nelson Mandela.
Part II Paragraph 3-5 The change of Elias’
life after he met Nelson Mandela
and what Mandela did.
Time zone: please find out what
happened in Elias’ life in the following
1940: Elias was born.
1942: Elias was a two years old baby. 1944: Elias was four years old. 1946: Elias began school.
1948: Elias left school.
1952: Nelson Mandela opened his law firm.
Careful reading Read the text carefully and tell the statement True or False.
1. Elias went to see Nelson Mandela when he was in trouble. T 2. Elias left school because the school was too far from his home. F 3. Nelson Mandela helped him keep his job. T
4. Elias trusted Nelson Mandela and he
joined the ANC Youth League. T 5. Elias was willing to blow up government buildings. F 6. Nelson Mandela thought violence was a good way to help black people. F
Read the passage again and answer the questions.
1. Why did Elias support Nelson Mandela? 2. What problems did Elias have? 3. Why did he support violence when he did not agree with it? 4. What would you have done if you were Elias?
1. Why did Elias support Nelson Mandela?
Because Nelson Mandela used to help
him in Johannesburg. And Elias joined the ANC Youth League which was organized by Nelson Mandela.
2. What problems did the black people like Elias have? Black people had no vote and could not choose who ruled them. The parts of town where they lived were places decided by white people. They could not get jobs they wanted. The places they lived were the poorest areas in South Africa. No one could grow food there.
3. Why did he support violence when he did not agree with it? Because he wanted to realize their dream of making black and white
A poor black worker in South Africa Elias’ He began school at six years old two experienc and left school ______ years later es before because his family couldn’t meeting afford the school ______ and the fees Mandela bus fare. After trying hard, he got a job in a gold mine. At that time because he didn’t have a passbook to live ________ in Johannesburg, he would probably become out of work ___________.
The time when he first met Mandela
He first met Mandela at ______ twelve years old, in the year 1952, when Mandela was a black lawyer ______. Mandela helped poor black legal people to solve their ______ matters.
How Mandela helped Elias
Mandela told Elias ______ to get how the correct papers so he could stay in Johannesburg. Elias joined the ANC Youth ______ League organized by Mandela to realize their dream of making black and white people ______. equal
Fill in the blanks according to the text. Nelson Mandela was born in South Africa on July 18, 1918. In 1937 he entered university where he completed his law degree in 1940. In 1944 he formed the ANC Youth League and in 1952 he set up a law office to help poor black people in Johannesburg. At that time Mandela was a black lawyer to whom many black people _____ went for
guidance advice, and he offered _________ to poor black people on their legal problems. Many black people joined the ANC Youth League to achieve their dream of making black and white people equal. They first _________attacked peacefully, and then the laws decided to ______ violence with violence. answer In 1963 they ______ some government blew up buildings.
Voice your opinions
1. What disadvantages did Elias have in finding a job? 2. How did the new government in South Africa treat the white people?
3. Is it fair to treat others badly for
things they cannot change, like the
color of skin or eyes or the race one
belong to? Give a reason.
4. What do we call it when some people are badly treated because of their race and others not?
1. According to the text, what was the situation for black people in South Africa? 2. How did the ANC Youth League fight against the government? 3. Why did Elias help Mandela blow up some government buildings?
1. According to the text, what was the situation for black people in South Africa? Black people had no ____. vote They couldn’t get ____ they wanted. jobs They were sent to the _______ areas poorest
where ______ could grow food. no one
2. How did the ANC Youth League
fight against the government?
A. They fought against the government
in a peaceful way.
B. They shoot the government officials.
C. They decided to answer violence
3. Why did Elias help Mandela blow up some government buildings? A.Because he liked violence. B. Because it was not dangerous. C. Because he thought it was a way to make black people and white people equal. D. Because he wanted to be famous.
Please discuss this question:
What can we learn from the text about Nelson Mandela?
Helpfulness Bravery (勇敢) Persistence (坚持不懈) Kindness (亲切，仁慈) Determination (坚定) ……
Find out the great qualities of Mandela
according to the passage.
He offered guidance to poor black people
on their legal problems. (Helpful) He told me how to get the correct papers
so I could stay in Johannesburg.
(Kind & Intelligent)
We were put in a position in which we had either to accept we were less important, or fight the Government. We chose to attack the law. We first broke the law in a way which was peaceful; when this was not allowed… only then did we decide to answer violence with violence. (Brave, Determined & Unselfish)
1. What do you think is the purpose of this passage? 2. Do you think Elias tells his story well? Give reasons. 3. What is the tone of Elias’ story? Do you like Elias because of the way he tells his story? Give a reason.
1. Why did the white people not treat black people fairly in South Africa? 2. How do you think the white people stopped the black people from being treated fairly? 3. Is it right for some people in one country to treat other people in the same country differently? Give a reason.
Discover useful words and expressions find the words with the same meaning. group of people organized for a special purpose feel hopeless lose one’s job in fact league
lose heart out of work as a matter of fact have some difficult problems in trouble
be taken to prison be ready to money paid for going to school
tell somebody what to do go on
put in prison willing
fees advise continue
always doing new things what people do in a war agree to take quiet and calm
Complete with some of the following words. equal official worry about mankind lawyer attack republic quality violence legal hopeful vote active My name is Robert Sobukwe. Like lawyer Nelson Mandela I was a _______ who
mankind believed that all _________ is created equal ______. I hate ________ and tried to violence
legal Use ________ ways so that black people could ______ for their government. As I live vote in South Africa, the _______ of the South officials African ________ did not agree with me. Republic They attacked me for encouraging the blacks _______ to fight against the government and put me in prison. Nobody was allowed to talk to me for five long years and I lost the ability to talk. Before I went to prison, I had been hopeful ________ that things would change.
After I was released I found the quality _______ of life for black people had got worse. I was _____________ my future, worried about and soon I fell ill. Although I was not as successful as Nelson Mandela, many people remember me as one of the first _______ black fighters for human active rights in South Africa.
1. Recite the key sentences in the
two texts. 2. Preview the passage and finish the exercise on Page 36.
The Rest of Elias’ story
Read the text, and do
the exercise on Page 39.
Make notes about what happened to Elias in prison.
Good things 1.Mandela started a school in the prison. 2. Elias became a good student. 3. He realized he was clever enough to do a degree. Bad things 1.He was beaten 2. The guards were cruel. 3. Some people died in prison. 4. Elias was not allowed to take a degree in prison.
Discuss the following questions in pairs.
Compare your ideas with another pair.
1. What would you have done if you
were Elias? 2. How do you think his wife and family felt when he was in prison?
Read the text again and answer the
1. When did Elias lose his job?
2. How did Mr. Mandela help Elias in the prison? 3. Does Elias like his present work?
找出定语从句： 1. The time when I first met Nelson Mandela was a very difficult period of my life. 2. The school where I studied for only two years was three kilometers away. 3. This was a time when one had got to have a passbook to live in Johannesburg.
4. The day when Nelson Mandela
helped me was one of my happiest.
5. …we have reached a stage where we have almost no rights at all. 6. The parts of town in which they had to live were decided by white people.
7. The places outside the towns where they were sent to live were the poorest parts of South Africa. 8. …we were put into a position in which we had either to accept we were less important, or fight the government. 9. We first broke the law in a way which was peaceful.
10. It was a prison from which no one escaped. 11. He taught us during the lunch breaks and the evenings when we should have been asleep. 12. I felt bad the first time I talked to a group.
13. For Mr Mandela began a school for
those of us who had little learning.
14. We read books under our blankets
and used anything (that) we could
find to make candles to see the words.
I. 根据下列各句句意及所给单词的首字母 或汉语提示，写出该单词的正确形式。 1. To his great joy, all his close r_______ relatives and friends came to attend his daughter’s wedding. 2. Thinking of the cruel and bloody war 20
years ago, he is still filled with terror t_____.
3. In my o_____, watching TV is a waste opinion
of time. Why don’t you do some
4. Abraham Lincoln, the 16th P_______ President
of the United States, is still respected
by the people.
blanket 5. I covered my father with a _______ (毛毯) after he fell asleep on the sofa.
6. Some people set up an organization
to fight against the _______ (残忍) cruelty to animals in the lab.
1. 这个政党是在上次选举(election) 中当 选执政的。(come to power) The party came to power in the last election. 2. 你真幸运逃脱了惩罚。(escape) You were lucky enough to escape punishment / being punished.
3. 我们恳求老师再给我们一次机会(beg) We begged the teacher for another
chance / to give us another chance. 4. 亚当总是认为公司会因为他努力工作而 奖赏他。(reward) Adam always believed that the company would reward him for his hard work.
5. 建立自己的公司对一个刚刚毕业的大学 生来说是非常难的。(set up) It is very difficult for a university
graduate to set up his own business.
6. 他因为偷窃汽车被判处三年监禁。 (sentence) He was sentenced to three years in prison for his stealing cars.