Do you know the slogan of Olympic Games?
Match the year and the host city of the
following Summer Olympic Games.
1984 1996 2000 2004 2008 2012
thensAtlanta Beijing LondonLos Angele
What do the five rings mean?
The five interlocking rings stand for friendship of five continents.
1. The London Olympic Games were the _____ Olympics in the world. A.28th B. 29th C. 30th 2. Where were the first Olympic Games held? A. Los Angeles B. Atlanta C. Athens 3. Which sport is in the Winter Olympic Games? A. badminton B. basketball C. speed skating D. soccer
The features of a speech
1.Do you know when the ancient games began?
2.Did you know that perhaps the most famous boxer of all time first came to public attention during the 1960 Rome Olympics? 3.Do you know that he was the highest scorer for the gold-medal-winning USA basketball team at the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics?
Go through the passage as quickly as possible and try to find the answers to the questions.
1. What is the speech about?
The history and significance of the Olympic Games.
2. Where were the ancient Olympic Games held?
At Olympia in Greece.
3. Who restarted the modern Olympic Games?
Pierre de Coubertin.
Find the incorrect information in each sentence and correct them.
1. The ancient Olympic Games lasted for almost 11 12
2. Some of the sports from the ancient Olympics are still seen today, such as discus, long jump, shooting and running. wrestling 3. At the ancient games, the athletes were all men and they had to compete wearing clothes. no clothes
4. Today, only athletes from Greece were allowed to compete in the Olympic Games. people all over the world
5. The modern Olympic Games were first held in 1896, in Greek. Athens
6. Muhammad Ali returned gladly to the Olympic Games in Rome in 1996 to light the Olympic flame at the opening ceremony. Atlanta
7. Michael Jordan was the highest scorer for the gold-medal-winning USA basketball team at the 1992 Barcelona Olympics. 1984 Los Angeles 8. Haili Gebrselassie won the gold at both the 1992 Barcelona Olympics and the 2000 Sydney Olympics. 1996 Atlanta
9. At the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, the People’s Republic of China returned to the Games after 32 years’ of absence. 1984 Los Angeles 10. Deng Yaping won the first gold medal for her country. Xu Haifeng
Muhammad Ali (original) Cassius Clay American
Which Olympics 1960 Rome Olympics
Olympic achievements Gold medal, boxing
original name Cassius Clay, won his first World Heavyweight Boxing Championship in 1964;lit the Olympic flame at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics
Michael Jordan American
Which Olympics 1984 Los Angles Olympics;1992 Barcelona Olympics
Olympic achievements two gold medals, basketball
Other information the highest scorer for the USA basketball team at the 1984 Olympics
Haile Gebrselassie Ethiopian
1996 Atlanta Olympics;2000 Sydney Olympics
two gold medals, distance running
first became famous in 1992;broke world record for the 10 km run
Xu Haifeng Chinese
1984 Los Angles Olympics
won the first Olympic gold medal for China
Deng Yaping Chinese
1992 Barcelona Olympics;199 6 Atlanta Olympics
four gold medals, table tennis
became an IOC member in 2000
Liu Xiang Chinese
2004 Athens Olympics
gold medal, men’s 110metre hurdles
the first Asian to win this race
Analyze some difficult sentences
At the ancient games, the athletes were all men and they had to compete wearing no clothes. wearing 为现在分词作状语，表 示主动关系
? line17 ? It was a Frenchman, Pierre de Coubertin, who restarted the Olympics.
?强调句的句式为it is /was/will be +被强调部分+that/who
? line17 ? His dream was that the Olympic Games would make it possible for countries and people to live peacefully side by side.
that 引导的是一个表语从句，that 不作 成分，不可省 It 是形式宾语，代替的是to live peacefully side by side
? line20 ? Among them are many well-known athletes.
? line43 ? Deng Yaping, who won four Olympic gold medals in 1992 and 1996 and became an IOC member in 2000 …
句中who won four Olympic gold medals in 1992 and 1996 and became an IOC member in 2000 是 非限定性定语从句，修饰主句的主语 Deng Yaping。
? line50 ? We are looking forward to seeing more of them in the coming Olympic Games.
look forward to
We look forward to the return of spring.
Who is your favorite Olympic athlete? What can you learn from him/her?
1. Read the whole text after class. 2. Finish exercises on P24-25.