Unit 5 Nelson Mandela----a modern hero
Reading Ⅱ THE REST OF ELIAS' S STORY
Please listen to the tape carefully and then answer the following four qu
? Para1. We know that life for Elias was not too bad because he could study and Elias felt good about himself because he believed he could get a degree if he had the chance.Meanwhile, Nelson Mandela let the guards study. it shows Mandela had a broad mind as a great leader.
? Para2. The police stopped the boss from giving Elias a job, and Elias was out of work But Mr.Mandela gave him a job taking tourist around his old prison on Robben Island. Because of Elias spent the hardest time of his life on Robben Island,it was very difficult for him to take tourists around the old prison on Robben Island at first, we can also know that the reason why Elias was proud was that he had fought all his life for equal rights for Blacks.
1. Elias was unhappy in the prison because A he was kept with the criminals. B the prison guards studies with him. C he had to study. D he could not study for a degree.
2. Nelson Mandela showed how good a leader he was because D A he fought the guards in prison. B he refused to let the guards study in his school. C he let the guards study in his school but not take the exams. D he let the guards study even though the prisoners could not take the exams.
3. Life for Elias was not too bad in prison B because A he had to study. B he could study with the guard. C he wanted to study. D he could study and get a degree.
4. As leader of South Africa,Nelson Mandela helped A prisoners of Robben Island by A giving them an education. B giving them money. C putting the guards in prison. D giving them a job.
? 1. How did Mandela help Elias when he was on Robben Island? ? 2. What did Elias do when he was in prison? ? 3. How did Mandela help Elias after he came to power? ? 4. Finally ,what did Elias take as his job? Did he enjoy it?
Answer the Questions
? 1. How did Mandela help Elias when he was on Robben Island? ? The Key: Mr. Mandela began a school for those who had little learning.
? 2. What did Elias do when he was in prison? ? The Key: He studied and was taught by Nelson Mandela when he was in prison.
? 3. How did Mandela help Elias after he came to power? ? The Key: Mr. Mandela gave Elias a job taking tourists around his old prison on Robben Island.
? 4. Finally ,what did Elias take as his job? Did he enjoy it? ? The Key: His job is taking the tourists round his old prison, at first he didn't enjoy his job but later he was proud of it .
? Mandela started a school ? He was beaten. in the prison.
? Elias became a good student. ? The guards were cruel. ? Some people died in prison.
? He realized he was clever ? Elias was not allowed to enough to get a degree. take a degree in prison.
1. You cannot imagine how the sound of the name of Robben Island made us afraid. 你想像不到听到罗本岛这个名字令我们多么害怕。 imagine (vt.) 想像 imagine n./doing sth./sb.+doing/that… eg. I didn't imagine becoming a writer in my childhood. 在孩提时代，我并未想成为一名作家。 eg. Imagine that you are a bird. 想像你是一只鸟。 【联想记忆】 imagination (n.) 想像，想像力 imaginable (adj.) 能想像的，可想像到的 imaginary (adj.) 假想的，虚构的 2013-9-23 imaginative (adj.) 有想像力的
2. It was a prison from which no one escaped. 那是一座任何人也逃不出去的监狱。 = That was a prison and no one could escape from it. escape 1. (vt.) survive,avoid 逃避，躲过 eg. They will go south to escape the winter. 他们要去南方避寒。 2. (vi.) get away 逃脱，逃走; come out 泄露 eg. The gas was escaping from a small hole in the pipe. 煤气从管道的小孔里漏出来。 3. (n.) escaping 逃脱，逃走，逃避 eg. The explosion was caused by an escape of gas. 爆炸是由于煤气泄露引起的。 【句型转换】 →It was a prison which no one escaped from.
3. He taught us during the lunch breaks and the evenings when we should have been asleep. 在午餐的休息时间和晚上我们本应该睡觉的时候他教授我们。 eg. My teacher said I should study harder. eg. I should have studied harder when I was young. 【小结】 →should do &should have done should do 表示应该做，一般指现在或将来的动作，指过去的 动作时应站在过去的角度。 should have done 表示本应该做而没有做的。站在现在的角度上 评说过去的事情。
【词汇辨析】 asleep, sleep & sleepy eg. --Is he still sleeping? 他还在睡吗？ --Yes, he is fast asleep. 是的，他睡得很熟。 eg. I usually sleep seven hours a day. 我通常一天睡七个小时。 eg. I was too sleepy to hear the end of her talk. 我太困了，没办法听完她的话。 【小结】
asleep 是表语形容词，意为“睡着的”。 sleep 是动词或名词，意为“睡觉”。 sleepy 是形容词，意为“打盹的”。
【短语记忆】 fall asleep 入睡
4.We read books under our blankets and used anything we could find to make candles to see the words. 我们在毯子下读书，用一切能找到的东西做成蜡烛以便 看清单词。 to make ...不定式短语做目的状语。to see 在这里做目 的状语 make sb do sth. 使......做......→be made to do. eg. The workers were made to work 12 hours a day. 工人们被迫每天工作12个小时。
5.He said they should not be stopped from studying for their degrees. 他说他们不应该被剥夺通过学习而获得学位的权利。
stop sb.from doing sth.=prevent /keep sb.from doing sth. 他们所有的人都被禁止进入那栋新建的大楼。 eg. All of them were stopped from entering the newlybuilt building.
6. They were not cleverer than me, but they did pass their exams. 他们不如我聪明，但确实通过了考试。
did pass 为强调结构，强调谓语动词时，在动词原形 前加do, does, did. eg. He does speak English well. 他英语说得确实好。
An awful accident ,however,occur the other day. A.does B.did C.has to D.had to 不过，前几天的确发生了一次可怕的事故。 B
7. Since I was better educated, I got a job working in an office. 由于受到更好的教育，我得到了一份在办公室的工作。 educate (vt.) 教育 educated (adj.) 有教养的 educate sb.to do sth. eg. It is difficult to educate children. 教育孩子很困难。 eg. She is a well educated lady. 她是位有良好教育的女士。 【联想记忆】 education (n.) 教育 educational (adj.) 教育的，有关教育的 educator (n.) 教育家 2013-9-23
8. I did not work again for twenty years until Mr. Mandela and the ANC came to power in 1994.
come to power = come into power 执政
in power 当权，执政 eg. Things have changed a lot since he came to power. 自从他上台以来，情况变化很大。
9. All the terror and fear of that time came back to me.
我回忆起那时所有的恐怖和令人畏惧的情景。 terror (n.) 恐怖，可怕的人或事 fear (vt.) 恐惧，害怕 (n.) 恐惧，可怕
eg. There is no reason for your fears. 你没有理由担心。
fear + n./to do /that… eg. She fears to speak in our presence. 当我们的面她不敢说。 eg. I fear that we can’t protect ourselves. 恐怕我们保护不了自己。 【拓展】 for fear that... 担心 be in fear (这里fear作为名词），害怕
10.They said that the job and the pay from the new South African government were my reward after working all my life for equal rights for the Blacks. 他们说来自南非新政府的这份工作和报酬是我为争取黑人的权利 而工作了一生的酬劳。 reward （n. ） 报酬，奖金； （ vt.) 酬谢，给以报答
in reward 作为报酬
reward sb. with sth. 拿某物报酬某人
eg. She got nothing in reward for her kindness.
11. So now I am proud to show visitors over the prison,for I helped to make our people free in their own land. 现在，我还能给参观者介绍有关监狱的情况，对此, 我 非常自豪，因为我曾经为黑人在自己的国土上争取自由 而出过力。
over=all over 全面地 eg. Please read the books several times over. 请把这些书反复读上几遍。
1. I got my reward after c all my life for equal rights. A.work B.to work C.working D.worked A 2. They said that the job and the pay the new South Africa was my reward. A. from B.to C.for D.in C 3. I didn't work for twenty years Mr. Mandela came to power in 1993. A.since B.after C.until D.when 2013-9-23
4. The police told my boss that I B to prison for blowing up government buildings. A.has been B.had been C.have been D.was 5. He taught us during the lunch breaks and the evenings when we D asleep. A.should be B.should have C.would have been D.should have been
Fill in the blanks
blanket degree cruelty reward proud imagine escape spend imagine
1. You can't afraid.
how the name of Robben Island made us
2. It was a prison from which no one 3. Elias
the hardest time of his life on Robben Island.
4. The prisoners read books under their blankets and used anything they could find to make candles to see the words.
blanket degree cruelty reward proud imagine escape spend
5. Elias became a good student and wanted to study for his degree but he was not allowed to do that. 6. Elias remembered the beatings and and his friends who had died.
of the guards
7. They said that the job and the pay from the new South Africa government were my reward after working all my life for equal rights for the Blacks.
8. So now I am proud to show visitors over the prison,for I helped to make our people free in their own land.
Elias told us something about his own experiences during he was on Robben Islands, after blowing some government buildings, Elias was caught and then put into a prison on it. However, he was lucky enough to get help from Mandela even when he was in prison. He could study and get a degree if he had the chance. Fortunately, Mr.Mandela gave him a job taking tourists around his old prison on Robben Island.At first he didn't enjoy his job but later he was proud of it because he helped to make their people
free in their own land.
Elias told us something about his own experiences during he was on Robben Islands, after blowing some government buildings, Elias was caught and then put into a prison on it. However, he was lucky enough to get help from Mandela even when he was in prison. He could study and get a degree if he had the chance. Fortunately, Mr.Mandela gave him a job taking tourists around his old prison on Robben Island. At first he didn't enjoy his job but later he was proud of it because he helped to make their people free in their own land.
? Write a short passage about your ideas on Nelson Mandela.
Thank you for your attention!
Make Presentation much more fun