Working the land
Aims:Talk about agriculture: a pioneer in farming -Yuan Longping Talk about organic farming & green food How to write a brief summary Try to c
onsolidate how to express suggestions & advice Master the usage of the -ing form as the subject and object Learn how to design English posters Suggestions & advice: I would rather ... If I have a choice I’d choose because ...I don’t like ... because ... You need to ...I’d prefer ... because ...May I suggest ...It’s a great pity that ... Let me suggest Leng Jianli because...Should I/We ...? Perhaps we should consider Leng Jianli because...It’s better to ..But what/how about Vocabulary:Sunburnt, struggle, decade, super, output, crop, hunger, disturbing, expand, Vietman, circulate, satisfied, freedom Expressions :rid ... of, be satisfied with, lead a ... life, would rather, refer to, search for, thanks to, would…rather Period 1-2 Warming up and pre-reading. Step 1 Lead-in. Poem By Li Shen Farmers weeding at noon,Sweat down the field soon. Who knows food on a tray,Due to their toiling day. Step 2.Warming up (Questions) 1. Have you ever grown any plants? If so, what did you do to grow them? If not, what kind of plant would you like to grow? How will you grow it? 2. Have you ever been to the countryside? What did you do there? 3. Are you from a farmer’s family? What do you know about farming? Step 3 Pre-reading and talking 1. Rice is a main food in all East Asian and Southeast Asian countries. What do you think would happen if tomorrow there was suddenly no rice to eat? Tips: It is said that there are 2.4 billion people to eat rice every day throughout the world；suffer from starvation/die of hunger; panic, get into trouble 2. If you had the chance to help end hunger in the world, what would you do? 3. Do you know who Yuan Longping is ? A brief introduction: Yuan Longping is known as China’ s “father of hybrid rice” . It’ s said that in China, we eat depending on “Two Ping” ---- Deng Xiaoping, who made the policy of System of Production Responsibility, & Yuan Longping, who invented hybrid rice. Yuan Longping, who was born in September, 1930, graduated from Agriculture Department in Southwest Agricultural Institute. He has been working on agriculture education & the research into hybrid rice since he left the institute. In the 1960s, when China was suffering from serious famine, he came up with the idea of hybrid rice, which has a high yield ( or output). Ten years later, he
? ? ?
succeeded in inventing a new species that produced a 20 percent higher yield than common types of rice. Yuan devoted himself to the research into agriculture, & was honored by UNESCO & FAO(联合国教科文组织）. Although he is 74 years old, he is still working on the research into agriculture. Period 3-4 Reading Step 1 Lead-in。 1. Listen to the tape carefully then answer these questions. 1）When and who did become the first agricultural pioneer in the world to grow rice that has a high output? 2）What did Yuan Longping invent? 2. Read the passage once again,then find out these sentences true or false. 1） Dr Yuan is more a farmer than a scientist. 2 ）Dr Yuan’s kind of rice is the most suitable for China’s farmland. 3） Dr Yuan would rather work than relax. 4 ）Dr Yuan has dreams when he is asleep and also when he is awake. 5 ）Dr Yuan enjoys a simpler life than most rich and famous people. 3.Find out the topic sentences of each paragraph Para. 1: He became the first agricultural pioneer in the world to grow rice that has a high output. Para.2:He has devoted his life to finding ways to grow more and more rice.. Para.3:He cares little about spending the money on himself and would rather keep time for his hobbies. Para.4 Dr. Yuan’s dreams. Main idea of the passage Chemical fertilizers can cause many problems, so organic farming is becoming more popular. 4.Write down Yuan Longping’s personal information Name: Nationality: Born: Age: Occupation: Education: Dream: Achievements: Hobbies: Period 5-6 Language points: 1. Struggle for?为争取??而斗争 Struggle against?为反对??而斗争 Struggle with? 与??争斗 1）The swimmer struggled against the tide. 2）We had to struggle with/against all kinds of difficulties. 3）The slaves struggled for the freedom 2. 使做?成为? make +it +adj./n. +to do 好天气使游泳成为可能 The fine weather makes it possible( for us )to swim. 他将每早跑步做为一个规则 He makes it a rule to run every morning. 其他可用这种结构的词:feel, find, think, consider? 3.搜查,搜索 search (sb. / sth.) for ? He searched all the rooms for the missing person. They searched the man all over for money.
4.由于,多亏 thanks to 相当于 because of 5.是从前两倍那么多 twice as large as before 相当于 once larger than before 6.对??感到满意 be satisfied with?相当于 be pleased with adj. satisfactory/satisfying n. satisfaction 7.在乎，在意 care about 比较 care for My aunt cared for me when my parents were away last week. Dr Yuan never cares about money and fame. 8. Indeed, his sunburnt face and arms and his slim, strong body are like those of millions of other Chinese farmers. e.g: The streets in Beijing are wider than those in my hometown. The number of students in our school is larger than that in their school. 9. Dr Yuan grows what is called super hybrid rice. e.g: He came to what is called America. 10. This special strain of rice makes it possible to produce one -third more of the crop in the same fields. e.g: That made it possible for life to begin to develop. The development of science makes it possible for us to know more about the universe. 11. Dr Yuan awoke from his dream with the hope of producing a kind of rice (that could feed more people). e.g: He went to the U.S with the hope of finding a better job there. Fill in the proper phrases or words to complete the following: 1.In a way,the accident was a good thing because it taught us a good lesson. 2.It was because of his advice that I succeeded. 3.I am satisfied with the result of the experiment. 4.They have struggled for years to drive the invaders out of their country. 5.We all wish that we could rid the world of crime. 6.In some less developed areas in China, some farmers are still lead a poor life. 7.The output of corn this year is double that of last year. After graduating from college, he went to Shenzhen with the hope of getting a chance to become rich soon . Period 7-8 Grammar Grammar 一. 动名词做主语的用法 动名词做主语往往表示经常性、习惯性的动作 , 在口语中也可以表示 具体的动作。如： Seeing is believing. Helping her is my duty. Talking mends no holes. 空谈无济于事。 Working with you is a pleasure. 和你一起工作是一种乐趣。 动名词做主语和不定式做主语一样，也可以用 it 作形式主语。如： It's rather tiring walking around in a city. 不定式做主语往往表示具体的特别是将来的动作。如： It's no use crying over spilt milk.覆水难收。
He realized that to go on like this was wrong. 二. 动名词作宾语的用法 1． 有些动词或短语动词后常用动名词作宾语。 如 admit, appreciate, avoid， can't stand（不能忍受）, consider，delay, devote … to, dislike enjoy，escape, excuse, feel like, finish, forgive, get down to, give up, imagine. insist on, keep (on), look forward to, mention, mind, miss（错过）, pay attention to, practice, put off, stick to, suggest 等等。 Doing morning exercises is good for your health. 做早操对你的健康有好处。 Her shoes wants mending. 她的鞋该修理了。 注意: 当 need, want, require, worth 后面接 doing 也可以表示被动。 Your hair wants cutting. 你的头发该理了。 The floor requires washing. 地板需要冲洗。 I have finished writing this book.我已经写完这本书了。 2. 在 allow, advise, forbid, permit 后直接跟动名词作宾语，如果有名词或代词 作宾语，则构成“allow／advise／forbid／permit ＋名词／代词＋不定式（宾语补 足语）”之形式。如： We don't allow smoking here． We don't allow anybody to smoke here． 3. 动词 need, require, want 意为“需要”时，后跟动名词的主动式或不定式的被 动式作宾语，意义没有区别。如： The window needs／requires／wants cleaning／to be cleaned． 4. 在 begin, continue, love, like, hate, prefer, intend, start 后用动名词和 用不定式作宾语均可，意义没有多大区别。 5. 动词 forget, go on, mean, regret, remember, stop, try, be used to, can't help 后 跟动名词和跟不定式区别较大，须注意。 forget, regret, remember 后跟动名词，动名词表示已经发生的动作；后跟 不定式表示将要发生的动作。 Period9-10 writing and checking the answers of the exercises
A taste of English humour
Ⅰ . Topic Different types of humour; a taste of English humour Ⅱ . Useful words and expressions: Nouns: slide, skin, content, particular, failure, difficulty, boil, snowstorm, bottom, mouthful, Switzerland, swing, pancake, whisper, sense Verbs: slide, content, astonish, entertain, overcome, boil, chew, direct, star, swing, Adjectives: cruel, content, particular, homeless, worn-out, fortunate, bottom, direct, outstanding, mountainous, vast Adverb: throughout, fortunately, direct Expressions: be content with, be badly off, be worn out, pick out, cut off, star in, knock into Ⅲ . Functional items: 1. Expressing anxiety What’s wrong? What’s the matter with you? Is there anything wrong? 2. Expressing surprise Really? Oh dear! Is that so? Good heaven! 3. Expressing pleasure I’m glad /pleased/ happy to… That’s nice /wonderful /great. Ⅳ . Grammar The –ing form as the predicative, attribute and object complement Their job is “panning for gold”. That was the problem facing Charlie Chaplin. He sat down at the table with his plate and drinking cup. Do you find it funny to see someone sliding on a banana skin, bumping into someone else round a corner, or falling down a hole in the road? Teaching procedures Period 1-2 Reading Step 1. Warming up and Discussing: 1. How many kinds of humor can you think of in your daily life? Types of humor: English humor Chinese humor Nonverbal pantomime ( 哑 剧) Mime and farce funny plays Verbal jokes cross talk ( 相声) Funny stories funny stories Funny poems doggerel (打油诗) 2. What’s the difference between jokes and humors? 3. Can you name out some of the humorous actors you like? Background knowledge: mime 笑剧 farce 滑稽剧 comedy 喜剧 tragedy 悲剧 opera 歌剧
TV play 电视剧 humor 幽默 joke 笑话 circus 马戏团 clown 小丑 sketch 小品 cross talk 相声 Step 2. Reading Task 2: Ss read and answer the following questions: 1. What’s the passage mainly about? A. The history of English humor. B. The films Chaplin made. C. The humor Chaplin made in his film. D. The Gold Rush in California. 2. How many parts can the passage be divided into? A. 2 B. 3 C. 4 D. 5 3. People enjoy seeing other people’s bad luck because _______. A. they enjoy doing so B. it makes people more worried about their life C. it makes people more content with their life D. there’s much fun in doing so 4. Chaplin was given a special Oscar for __________. A. the characters he played in his films B. the films he directed C. the joy he gave us in his films D. the contributions he made in films Task 2: Ss read and fill the following chart: Notes on Charlie Chaplin’s career Born 1889 Died 1977 Job Actor Type of acting Mime and farce Character “ the tramp”, a poor and homeless person Costume Large trousers, worn-out shoes and small round black hat Reason for success Charming, social failure with a determination to overcome difficulties and always kind Step 4. After- reading Task 3: Ss in groups and discuss: 1. What should we learn from Charlie Chaplin? 2. Do you want to be a humorous person? And how can you be humorous? 3. What should we do to get success? Period 3-4. Language learning Step 1. Revision Ss retell the text with their own words. Step 2. Language points 1. find /think/ feel it + adj./n + to do sth. We find it important to learn English well. I feel it a great honour to be invited to the party. 2. see sb. Doing See sb do See sb done We saw him stealing the book from the bookstore just now. He saw Tom go out of the classroom yesterday afternoon.
His neighbour saw him often beaten by his father. 3. Skin: The purse is made of crocodile skin. be all skins and bones 瘦的皮包骨头 4. be cruel to Don’t be cruel to animals. It is cruel of sb. to do sth. It’s cruel of America to bomb Iraq. 5. feel /be content with sth, be content to do sth. People of the city feel content with their life. Mary is content to sit in front of the television all night. 6. be worse off be bet ter off 7. astonish sb. with sth. to the astonishment of sb. be astonished at sth./ to do sth He said he could astonish us with a good result in the final exam. To the astonishment of the teachers, he got the first in the competition. The teachers were astonished at his getting the first in the competition. The teachers were astonished to find that he got the first in the competition. 8. worn-out : adj. 穿破的 Worn out vt. vi 使…耗尽; 穿破/旧， Cheap socks wear out quickly. I am worn out by the hard work. 9. failure un.失败 cn. 失败的人或事 His plans ended in failure. As a writer, he was a failure. 10. be loved by sb. for sth Deng Xiaoping is loved by the Chinese for his great contribution to China’s construction and social reform. 11. star in : 担任主角 This is an old film starred in by Charlie Chaplin. 12. knock into He walked in such a hurry that he knocked into an old lady in the street. Step 3 Learning about language 1. Ss do part 1 of the discovering useful words and expressions. 2. Ss finish part 2, 3 and 4 Step 4. Practice 1. Ask the Ss to do Ex. 1and 2 on page 63. Period 5-6. Reading Step 1. Pre-reading The purpose of this reading is to introduce students to English jokes. Two kinds of jokes are shown here. The first shows now different meanings can make something amusing. This is called a “play on words”. The second kind of joke is s short funny story. Both jokes are very popular in English-speaking countries. Step 2. Reading Task 1: Ss read and give their own answer to the question. Answer key for Exercise 1:1. B 2.C 3. A Task 2: Ss read part 2 and give their own answers to the two questions. Step 3. Reading task (page 59) Task 3: Ss read the passage and answer the following questions. 1. What do children usually do on April Fool’s Day? 2. Why did people believe the programme Panorama?
3. Do you think the advice that the BBC gave people who asked how to grow noodle trees was serious? Give a reason. 4. What would you do to find out whether a story like this was true. Task 4: Ss read and analyse the way that the BBC played this trick. Suggested answer: 1. The panorama TV programme is serious and people believe it. 2. The progrmme itself was presented in a very serious way. 3. There were many details given in the story to make it believable. Task 5: Ss read and think if these things are true: 1. that pigeons follow roads and road signs when they find their way home. 2. that the earliest football has been found in a grave dated to 1000 years ago. 3. that earliest human paintings on cave walls are all modern fakes. 4. that advanced computers can “talk” to each other without the aid of humans. Period 7-8. Listening and speaking Step 1. Warm up Ask one of the Ss to tell the class a joke. Step 2. Pre-listening This is a story that English speaking people find funny. It is the kind of story that might happen to anybody who has a farm and chickens. At first let Ss read the questions to make sure that they know what they should do in this listening. Step 3 Listening Task 1: Ss listen to the tape twice and finish Ex 1 and 2 on page 23. Step 4. Speaking Task 2: Ss in pairs think of a funny story. It can be an English story or a Chinese story. Follow the following procedure: Prepare a joke and tell your partner in English. While telling your story, use the expression on your face and some acting to help make the story as funny as you can. After telling your story to your partner, let him/her give you some advice. Then let your partner tell his/her story. Finally tell your story to the class. Step 5. Listening (on page 55) This is a funny story for the students to enjoy. Ss should listen carefully and first try to understand the meaning. Task 3: Ss listen to the tape twice and finish Wb Ex 1 and 2 on page 55. Task 4: Talking Humour make people laugh, feel happy and relaxed. Sometimes one person may find something funny while another person doesn’t find it amusing at all. So in pairs discuss with your partner what makes you laugh. Try to use the following expressions: I enjoy this very much because…. It surprises me that … I laugh at that kind of thing because… This is fun because… I’m pleased we were both amused at… It is very amusing that…
How wonderful /surprising! Period 9. Grammar: Step 1. Warm up Review what the Ss have learned about –ing as the subject and Object Step 2. The –ing form as predicative, attribute and object complement Predicative 1. Seeing is believing. 2. The music is exciting. Attribute 1. There is a swimming pool in our school. 2. China is a developing country.. 3. The person translating the songs can speak seven languages. 4. The boy standing there is a classmate of mine. Object complement 1. We heard her singing in her room. 2. You can see them performing every night this week at the new theatre. 3. We watch the children diving into the water from the diving board. Step 3. Practice 1. Ss finish Ex 2 ,3and 4 on page 21. 2. Ss do Wb Ex 1 and 2 on page 56. astonish depress play do ride amuse bark welcome 3. Choose the suitable words from the box below and fill in the blanks in the correct form: 1). I can’t imagine Bill________ a motorbike. 2). Did you hear the dog downstairs _______ for most of the night? 3). Frank is very good at telling funny jokes. He can be very ________. 4). You can’t stop me _________ what I want. 5). He gave me a ________ hug when he met me at theairport. 6). Jim has really learnt very fast. She has made ________ progress. 7). It’s been raining all day. This weather is __________. 8). When I came out of the theatre, I noticed a group of children _________ musical instruments across the street. Keys: 1). riding 2). barking 3). amusing 4). doing 5). welcoming 6). astonishing 7). depressing 8). playing Period 10. Writing Step 1. Pre-writing This exercise lets students to write a funny story. Task 1: Ss gather information that they need and plan what they want to write. Step 2. While-writing Task 2: Ss write an English funny story or a Chinese one. Writing tips: Ss make a plan Ss write down their story in a logical order: First … Then …. Next…. Finally / At last…
For each part of the story try to find the most interesting words you can to describe how you felt or what was happening. Then write out your story using these interesting words. Read through your story. Then show it to your partner. Let him/her suggest some new and exciting words. Help your partner with his/ her story. Write out the story and put it into a class collection of stories.
Unit 4 Body language
Ⅰ Aims:Talk about body language: cultural differences and intercultural communication Practise talking about prohibition & warning as well as obligation Learn to use the -ing form as the Attribute &Adverbial Learn to write a diary that showing the observation of how body language helps in communication ⅡStructures:Talk about body language What is the purpose of language? What do you think “body language” means? How can you tell if someone is sad or happy even if they do not speak? How can you communicate a feeling to someone who does not speak your language? Why do we need to study body language? Talk about cultural differences & intercultural communication What do British people often do when they meet strangers? What do French people often do when they meet people they know? Why should we be careful about our own body language? Why is it important to watch others as well as listen to them? ⅢKey new words:represent, association, canteen, dormitory, flight, curious, approach, major, misunderstand, dash, adult, crossroad ⅣKey expressions:represent, introduce, approach, touch, express, nod, avoid, misunderstand, punish, general, curious, similar, expression, agreement, gesture, action Ⅴ.Grammmar:The -ing form as the attribute && adverbial Finding out in the reading text sentences with present participle(s) used as the attribute or adverbial. Period 1-2 warming up Step I Lead-in The teacher shows some pictures on screen. These pictures are from the Evening Party Celebrating the coming Lunar New Year of the Rooster of 2005. Ss: Yes, Thousands of Hands Kwan-yin.T: But do you know who she is? Yes, she was the leading dancer of the program. Her name is Tai Lihua（邰丽华）. She is called a Fairy of Peach blossom(桃花仙子) by people. You know she is a deaf girl, but she is a wise, diligent, charming and energetic girl. She studied very hard and got two degrees of bachelors in university. She was famous as an artist for her wonderful performance. She is deaf and dumb. But how did she get that great achievement and became a successful person? She loves life very much. We should learn from her spirit. Besides her hard working, body language plays a very important part in her life. We are all healthy people, sometimes we can use body language to express ourselves. So we
should pay more attention to learning body languages. Step II Introduction T: Now let’s do some TPR (Total Physical Response) activities together, I hope you will enjoy them and have fun as well. Touch your head / face / eyes / nose / mouth / ears / cheeks / forehead / shoulders / stomach / legs / feet / toes ...Shake your head / arm / hand ... Wave your arm / hand ...Open your eyes / arms /mouth ... Close your eyes / mouth ...Twist your wrist / waist. Cross your arms / fingers.Nod your head. Bow your head. Make a face to each other. Bend / cry / shout / scream / smile / laugh ... It’s time to take up the lesson. Please look at the screen. Let’s take a look at the following gestures: Action Meaning A handshake A clap of hand You are welcome. Come on; be cheerful.
A V-shape of the fore-finger and middle May you succeed! finger Or congratulations on your success! A half-closed hand with thumb down I am not in favor of your idea or I’ll have to refuse you.
A wrinkling of the brow in thought or She is worried. displeasure or a scowl Tears coming out of his eyes. All smiles on her face Waving their hands He is very sad. She is very happy. They are waving goodbye to people around.
A hand stretched out forward with He is stopping a tank. strength People jump with their both hands They are cheering for the victory. stretched open in the air. Period 3-4 Reading 1 Pre-reading 1. What is the function of body language? 2. How do you find body language in our daily life? 3. How can the same body language express different feelings or ideas in different cultures? 4. How can different body language express the same feeling or idea in different cultures?
2 Fast reading TURE OF FALSE 1. Body language is never as powerful as spoken language. 2. If you are angry at a person, you might turn your back to him or her. 3. You can threaten a person by refusing to speak. 4. You should not greet your new boss by giving her or him a hug. 5. Body language is the same all over the world. 6. Most people can understand each other if they try. Then ask the students to do it one by one and ask them to explain why some of the statements are wrong. Period 5-6 Grammar Grammar Structure Study 一: V-ing 形式由 “do＋ing” 构成, 其否定形式是 “not doing”, V-ing 可以带宾 语或状语构成 V-ing 短语, 没有人称和数的变化, 但有时态和语态的变化。 V-ing 形式在句中作定语和状语是本单元的学习重点。 1. 作定语 ：V-ing 形式可以单独充当名词的前置修饰语, 这时有两种情况。 1) -ing 形式表示 “供作..之用 ”的意思, 这类作定语的-ing 形式过去叫动名 词。 A swimming pool= a pool for swimming 2) -ing 形式表示 “......的” 意思, 过去叫现在分词 A sleeping child working people the rising sun -ing 形式短语作定语时一般放在它所修饰的名词之后, 相当于一个定语从 句。如: They are visitors coming from several countries. The boy standing there is a classmate of mine. 2. 作状语：可以表示时间, 原因, 结果,条件, 行为方式或伴随动作等。 -ing 形式作状语时, 它的逻辑主语必须与主句的主语是一致的。 Time permitting, I will pay a visit to the whole city. (分词的逻辑主语是 time , 而句子的主语是 I , 两者不构成主谓关系, 所以只能 用独立主格结构, 也就是给现在分词补充一个主语。) Peroid 7-8 Learning Language 1. Some more information about Body Language: to nod consent 点头表示同意，to nod one’s farewell 点头表示告别， to nod as a sign of agreement or as a familiar greeting 点头表示赞同或打招呼， to hold one’s head high 昂首挺胸(表示趾高气扬)， to shake one’s fist 挥动拳头(表示威胁)， to shake one’s head 摇头(表示不知道)，to show a V sign 由食指和中指构成字母 “V” ，而“V”是 victory 的第一个字母。祝愿胜利或庆祝胜利之意。 to wink at a person 向某人眨眼睛，to make a face 面部露出厌恶的表情， to shrug one’s shoulders 耸耸肩膀 (表示冷淡或怀疑)， to keep (or have) one’s fingers crossed 把中指叠在食指上交叉着，作十字状。这 是暗中希望上帝保佑自己正在做的事成功。 to crook a finger 朝某人弯曲食指。是招人过来的意思。
更有趣的是英美人用大拇指 (thumb) 做出许多不同的表示。 to thumb one’s nose 以大拇指按鼻，其余四指张开，表示轻视。在英美等国家， 你会看到这种手势经常用在调皮的孩子们中间。他们用大拇指点着自己的鼻子， 而其他四指张开不停地摇动，表示轻蔑或嘲弄。也可以说“ to cock a snook at somebody”. to twiddle one’s thumbs 无聊地绕动着两个大拇指，表示无所事事，懒散。 thumbs down 大拇指朝下表反对或拒绝。 thumbs up 翘起大拇指， 表赞成或夸奖。 但值得一提的是在英美等西方国家，有时会看到有人站在马路边，朝驶过来的车 辆伸出一只翘起大拇指的拳头。这是请求搭便车的意思。所以搭车也可以说“to thumb a lift” 。 Period 9 Checking the answers of the workbook Period 10 writing How to use body language? When you are in danger,you can't say out your ideas,how to use your body language to ask for help? According to this passage, write a composition.
Teaching goals 1. Target language Talk about different types of theme parks in different cultures Show people around a place and give directions Study word formation Write an introduction to a place with detailed explanations a. Key new words: theme park, provide ... with ... , amuse oneself, various, a variety of, shuttle, charge ... for, admission, make a profit, souvenir, base on, involve ... in, athletic, brand, equipment, sneakers, come to life, minority, fantasy, get close to, settlers, take an active part in, experiment, advanced, technique b． Key sentences: As you wander around the fantasy amusement park, you may see Snow White or Mickey Mouse in a parade or on the street. With all these attractions, no wonder tourism is increasing wherever there is a Disneyland. 2. Ability goals Enable the students to know something about the various theme parks all over the world, to understand the difference between a theme park and a traditional park and try to finish the comprehending exercises. 3. Learning ability goals Learn how to generalize and compare the similarities and differences. Teaching important points To solve the questions in Comprehending, and let the students find out the main idea of each paragraph, give a summary of the text. Teaching difficult points How to give a general instruction/ description of a place. Teaching methods Listening; Skimming; Scanning; Task-based. Teaching aids A recorder and a computer. Teaching procedures && ways Period 1-2 Warming up Step I Revision T: Good morning/ afternoon, boys and girls! First let’s have a dictation about the words and phrases in Unit 4. Take out a piece of paper, please. major, local, represent, Columbia, introduce, approach, touch, strange, express, be likely to, general, avoid spoken, misunderstand, punish, at ease T: Now, hand in your paper please; I’ll check your work after class. Step II Warming up T: Let’s look at the pictures on P33. Try to match the names of the parks with the pictures. Can you guess which are parks and which are theme parks?
T: Which one of these parks would you like to visit most if you have the chance? Sa: Of course I would go to Disneyland. I have watched so much about it on TV and I’ve been dreaming about shaking hands with those lovely cartoon characters and taking pictures with them. Sb: I would like to go to Waterpark, because I like swimming and I like to take part in the activities in water in this park. Period 3-4 Reading Skimming T: It’s interesting to listen to your ideas. Today we are going to study a passage about theme parks. The title is THEME PARKS—FUN AND MORE THAN FUN. I would like you to read the passage quickly for the first time to get a general idea of the passage. At the same time, please find out the topic sentence of each paragraph. (3 minutes later) T: Have you got the main idea of the passage? Who can tell me the topic sentences of six paragraphs? Topic sentences Paragraph 1. Different kinds of theme parks. Paragraph 2. Disneyland. Paragraph 3. Dollywood Paragraph 4. England’s Camelot Park Scanning T: After the first reading, we have all got a general idea of the passage. So I would like you to read it carefully again and try to find the answers to these detailed questions. Teacher shows the questions on the screen. 1. What is the purpose of Dollywood? What kind of people do you think will visits this theme park? 2. What do you know about ancient English stories? What other activities do you imagine there are at Camelot Park? 3. Disneyland is a place to have fun. What will you do if you have a chance to visit Disneyland ? 4. If you have a chance to visit one of these three parks, which will you visit ? Why? suggested answers 1. The purpose of Dolly wood is to show and celebrate America’s traditional southeastern culture. Probably a lot of Americans will visit this theme park. 2-4 students will give their own answers. Step V Discussion T: If you have enough time and money, would you like to go traveling to see the natural beauty of the country or go the theme parks to enjoy the exciting experiences? Give reasons for your choice. a) Teacher divides the class into groups of four. Each group tries to reach an agreement and to collect as many reasons as possible from the group members. b) After the discussion, the teacher asks a student from each of the groups to report the decision of their group and to give their reasons for the decision.
Step VI Homework Remember all the new words and phrases in the reading passage. Write a summary of the reading passage using the new words. Period 5-6 Listening Step I Revision Check the students' homework. Step II Listening (Page37 and 38) Students are asked to read questions to find out the requirements first, and then listen to the tape three times to complete the matching exercises and answer the eight questions. T: Please open your books and turn to Page37. Before you listen to the tape, read the requirements and keep them in mind. Pay attention to the important information while listening and you'd better take some notes of it. T: Different countries have different cultures. Different national groups have different customs too. In Part 1, we are going to hear about the customs of some national groups. Now let's listen to the recording and try to match each group to an example of its customs. Students listen to the recording for the first time. T: Have you got the answers? Let' s check. Check the answers together. T: Let's listen to the tape again and answer the questions in Part 2. You may listen to it twice. Students listen to the recording for another two times. Check the answers to the questions by asking some students to answer them. Step III Listening (Page69) T: Let's come to the Listening on Page 69. Here we are going to listen to David Evens and Ji Yang who are visiting the Sea World. Period 7-8 Grammar Compound 1. 合成名词 (1) n+n air conditioner 空调 blood pressure 血压 income tax 所得税 credit card 信用卡 (2) adj + n central bank 中央银行 fast food 快餐 solar system 太阳系 remote control 遥控 (3) v-ing +另一词 washing machine 洗衣 driving license 驾驶执照 (4) 其他方式 by-product 副产品 editor-in-chief 主编 2.合成形容词 （1）形容词+名词：形容词和名词连用，原是短语，用做定语。固定下来，成为 形容词，有的还只是 nonce-words,也有合成名词作定语或转成形容词的情形：如 full-time worker（全职工） 、long-range gun(远程炮)等。 （2）形容词+形容词：这类词不算多，前面的形容词大都进一步说明后面的形容 词，如：light-blue(浅蓝)、dead-alive(半死不活)。 （3）名词+过去分词：有被动意味，名词相当于前置词宾语，表示工具，行为者
等，如:man-made(人造的)，moth-eaten(虫蛀的)。 （4）名词+现在分词：有主动意味，名词大都相当于行为的宾语，如： English-speaking people(说英语的人)，peace-loving（热爱和平的） （5）形容词+现在分词：有主动意味，形容词相当于表语或者定语，如 eager-seeming(样子急切)，easy-going（随和的） （6）副词+分词：如 half-baked(幼稚的)，far-seeing（有远见的） （7）副词+形容词：over-anxious(过急)，all-round athlete(全能选手) （8）名词+形容词：名词大都作比喻的对象，如 cock-sure(自恃)，paper-thin（薄 如纸） 3. 合成动词及合成副词：副词＋动词”组成的，这里“副词”多半表示动作的 方向、程度等等。如：out 表示超过 to outnumber（超过数目）to out-talk（压过 别人的声音） ； under 表示不足、 在下 to underdevelop （发育不全） to underestimate （估计不足）to underline（行下划线）等等。 4.叠声合成词 由同一个词重复， 或稍加声音变化重叠而成。这类词往往是加重语气因而常带有 感情色彩，比方，嘲讽。例：goody-goody（假殷勤）so so（不怎么样）wish wash （乏味的饮料） 5.句式合成词 整个句子当作一个词用，有的已经固定下来，例如 pick-me-up （兴奋剂） ， what's-his-name（某某人） 。整个句子用作形容词的现象比较普遍，把复杂的概念 揉成单纯的限制语使行文紧凑。A let-bygones-be-bygones manner（一种“过去的 就算了吧”的态度） an if-you-would-only-be-guided-by-me expression（一种“要 是你肯听了我的话够多好”的神气） Derivation: add letters to the beginning or the end of a word. 1) 前缀: 表示否定的前缀，这类前缀可以分为四种： （1） 纯粹表示否定的， 如 a-,dis-,in-(il-, im-, ir-):； disagree,dislike,disappear;incorrect, impossible, irregular,in-,il-(在字母 l 前)，im-(在字母 m,b,p 前)，ir(在字母 r 前) [L] 常和音节较多的 learned words(雅语)，尤其是拉丁，法语外来词结合，加在形容 词或其派生词、 副词上， 表示否定。 Inaccurate, illegible, impolite, irregular, inability, infinite, impious。 （2）表示“错误”的，有 mis- ；多作重读，表示“wrongly，badly” 。可以适当 构造新词： 大多用于动词：to misbehave（行为不当）misunderstand（误解） 。 用于作形容词的分词：misbelieving（信仰不当） ，misleading（靠不住） 。 用于动名词：misdealing（不正当手段） 。 偶而，mis-也表示纯粹的否定词义：to mistrust。 （3）表示“反动作” ，如 de-,un- ；de- 表示“反动作” （to undo the action） 。能 构造新词，多作重读。decontrol（取消控制） ， decolour（漂白） un- 表示“反动作”unmask（揭露） unsay（收回意见） （4）表示“反对”的，有 anti-,contra-anti- 表示“反对，反面” anti-social（反 社会的） antiseptic（防腐剂） anti-militarist（反军国主义者） contra- 表示“反对，相反” contradiction（矛盾） contrast（对比） contrary （相反的）counter- 表示“against” counteract（还手） counterattack（反攻） 前缀大都表示空间，时间，逻辑上的关系，意思上有引申。
2) 后缀: (1) 构成名词：-er, -ese, -ist, -ian, -ment, -tion, -ness, -th. buyer, Chinese, socialist, musician agreement, collection, illness, truth (2) 构成形容词: -al, -an, -ful, -ing, -y, -less national, American, careful, exciting, cloudy, useless (3) 构成动词: -fy, -is (z)e: beautify, realize (4) 构成副词: -ly: badly greatly quickly deeply (5) 构成数词: -teen, -ty, -th thirteen, sixty, twelfth Conversion: change the part of speech of a word. Phrases for Module 4 Unit 1 1. in pairs 成对 2. give reasons for 给?理由 3. improve prison conditions 改善监狱 4. the Nobel Peace Prize 诺贝尔和平奖 5. one of the top leaders 高级领导人之一 6. concern oneself with 让自己关注 (be concerned about 对?担心) 7. welfare projects 福利项目 8. China Welfare Institute 中国福利协会 9. show the conncetion between ?and?显示出?和?之间的联系 10. fight for 为?而战 11. put?to death 将?处死 12. a specialist in women’s illnesses 妇科疾病的专家 13. devote all her life to 将自己的一生献给? 致力于? 14. rather than 而不是 15. behave like humans 像人类的举止 16. the night before 前一天晚上 17. wonder off 离开 18. make it all worthwhile 使?值得 19. come into one’s arms 回到?的怀抱 20. fully understand 完全理解 21. be of great importance 很重要 22. be determined to 下定决心? 23. communicate?with 与?交流 24. work out their social system 勾勒出他们的社会体系 25. the rest of the world 世界上的其他人 26. argue for?为?辩护 argue against?反对? argue with sb. 与?争论 27. come crowding in 纷塌而至 28. achieve everything 做成了所有的事 29. gain a doctor’ s degree 获得了博士学位 30. cheer the achievements of women 为妇女的成就喝彩 31. support a family 支撑一个家庭 32. get upset 感到不安 33. observe and record their daily activities 观察记录他们的日常活动 34. look down upon 看不起 35. do some research 做研究 36. catch one’s eye 吸引? 37. cut the death rate 降低死亡率 38. care for 照顾、喜欢 39. follow some simple rules 遵循一些简单的规则 40. be intended for 为?准备 41. get a medical training 获得医学培训 42. be placed second to 放在?之后 43. further reading 进一步的阅读 44. as well as 和,还有/ 和?一样 45. story after story 46. deliver a baby 接生 47. make sure 确保,确信 48. carry on 继续 49. fill in the forms 填表 50. the university entrance exam 大学入学考试 Unit 2
1. grow plants 种植作物 2. know about farming 了解农业耕种 3. a mian food 主要食物 4. Asian countries 亚洲国家 5. have the chance to do sth 有机会做? 6. end hunger 结束饥饿 7. for that’s how he regards himself 因为那就是他如何看待自己的 8. work the land 耕种土地 9. a sunburnt face 晒黑的脸 10. in many ways 从许多方面来说 11. struggle for 为?而战/挣扎 12. the past five decades 在过去的五十年 13. a high output 高产量 14. make it possible to?使?成为可能 15. graduate from?从?毕业 16. see the great need for 看到了对?的需求 17. a serious problem 一个严重的问题 18. search for 寻找 19. withour expanding the area of fields 不扩大农田面积 20. circulate his knowledge 传播知识 21. less developed countries 欠发达国家 22. thanks to 幸亏,由于 23. rid ?of?使?摆脱? 24. twice as large as before 是以前的两倍大 25. be satisfied with 对?满意 26. care little about 对?很少关心 27. lead a comfortable life 过着舒适的生活 28. equip?with?用?装备? 29.would rather 宁愿 30. give him less freedom to do sth 给他更少的自由? 31. no longer 不再 32. play the violin 拉小提琴 33. prefer to 更喜欢? 34. ride his motorcycle 骑摩托 35. awake from 从?中醒来 36. with the hope of 带着?的希望 37. export rice 出口大米 38.be suitable for 对?合适 39.. as Dr Yuan proves 正如 Dr Yuan 所证明的那样 40. for sale 卖? 41. chemical fertilizers 化肥 42. get confused 感到困惑 43. take turns 轮流 44. be prepared to 准备? 45. no matter how 无论怎样 46. refer to 指的是?参考?查阅? 47. be rich in 富含? 48. be good for 对?有好处 49. reduce diseases 减少疾病 50. the water supply 水的供应 51. year after year 一年又一年 52. as a result 结果 53. get exhuasted 感到筋疲力尽 54. insist on 坚持 55. every two or three years 每两三年 56. write a summary of?写?的总结 57. exchange?with?与?交换? 58. give each other comments 互相评论 59. be free of 远离? 60 that is to say 那就是说 Unit 3 1. silde on a banana skin 在香蕉皮上滑倒 2. bump into someone else 撞到别人 3. round a corner 在拐角处 4. fall down 掉下 5. be cruel to ?对?残忍 6. at times 有时,常常 7. be content with 对?满意 8. badly off(worse off) 贫困 9. astonish us with the deep feelings 用深厚的感情打动? 10. be born in poverty 出生贫寒 11. become famous for 变的有名 12. a particular from of acting 一种特殊的表演方式 13. his entertaining silent movies 他那滑稽的无声电影 14. be well-known throughout the world 举世闻名 15. wear worn-out shoes 穿着破鞋子 16. carry a walking stick 拿着手杖
17. a social failure 社会生活中的失败者 18. overcome difficulties 克服困难 19. be unkind to sb 对?不好 20. a boiled shoe 煮熟的鞋子 21. the problem facing sb 面对某人的问题 22. thousands of 成千上万 23. rush there in search of 冲向?寻找? 24. fortunate enough 足够幸运 25. pick up 拾起?/接某人 be caught on 被?钩住 26. be caught in a snowstorm 遭遇到暴风雪 27. on the edge of a mountain 在大山边缘 28. pick out 挑出 29. cut off 切断,隔绝? 30. as if 似乎,好象 31. eat every mouthful with great enjoyment 每口都吃得津津有味 32. star in 主演? 33. his lifetime outstanding work 他终生杰出的工作 34. be buried in 被埋葬在? 35. knock into 撞到? 36. think it funny to?觉得滑稽? 37. play on words 说俏皮话 38. treat it as a question 把?当作一个问题 39. an answer to the question 问题的答案 40. go camping 去露营 41. in a mountainous area 在山区 42. in the open air 在户外 43. look up at the stars 抬头看着星星 44. how vast the sky is 天空多么广阔 45. try a third time 又试了一次 46. pay special attention to 特别注意? 47.turn into 变成? 48. bring out the humorous meaning 指出/阐明幽默的意思 49. improve your English vocabulary 扩大英语词汇量 50. a sense of success 成功感,成就感 Unit 4 1. on the left side of the chart 在图表的左边 2. make notes 作笔记 3. act out 表演出来 4. the purpose of languange 语言的目的 5. give an example 举例 6.at a major hotel 在大酒店 7. be interested in the development of 对?的发展感兴趣 8.local business people 当地商人 9. represent the Chinese government 代表中国政府 10. look around in a curious way 好奇地四处张望 11. disappoint your boss 12. an exciting experience 一次另人兴奋的经历 13. closely followed by?后面跟着?14. introduce?to?介绍? 15. approach sb 靠近? the approach of spring 春天的到来 the approaching examinations 即将到来的考试 16. touch her and kiss her on the cheek 吻她的脸颊 17. step back 后退 18. take a few steps away from 离开?退开几步 19. at the time as 同时? 20. reach his hand out to 伸出手去? 21. a learned man 有知识的人, 22. in the same way 同样? 23. spoken language 口语 24. express their feelings 表达感情 25. be more likely to 很有可能 26. keep physical distance,保持身体距离 27. shake hands with sb 与?握手 28. nod at 对?点头 29. avoid difficulty in communication 避免交流中的困难 30. with the help of 在?的帮助下 31. in general 一般而言 32. take action 采取行动 33. actions speak loudr than words 行动胜言语 34. be nervous about 对?紧张 35. the comedy show 喜剧表演 36. all kinds of 各种各样 37. even if 即使
38. speak to 对?说话 39. misunderstand each other 互相误解 40. be similar to 与?相似 41. turn your back to 背对? 42. show anger 显示愤怒 43. be intended to 打算? 44. the universal facial expression 通用的脸部表情 45. put ?at ease 使?放心 46. lose face 丢面子 47. nod the head up and down 点头 48. refuse to do something 拒绝做? 49. look away from 从?转过眼神(不看) 50. hold your arms across your chest 双臂抱胸 51. turn forward to 向前倾? 52. roll your eyes 转动眼珠 53. show respect for 对?表示尊重 54. give a hug to 拥抱? 55. be willing to 愿意? look sb in the eye 直视? 56. look direclty at an adult 直视一个成人 57. tell the truth 说实话 58. be wrong about 误解? 59. be angry at sb 生?气 60. be pleased with 对?高兴/满意 Unti 5 1. a theme park 主题公园 amusement park 游乐园 2. provide sb with sth 提供 provide sth for sb 3. amuse oneself 自娱自乐,消遣 4. escape their busy life for a while 暂时逃避他们繁忙的生活 5. share this basic purpose 有着共同的基本目的 6. various ways 各种方式 a variety of 各种各样，种类繁多 7. meet this need 满足这种需要 8. relax a bit 稍微放松一下 9. have fun together 一起玩得高兴 10. in other ways 用别的方式 11. in recent decades 在最近几十年里 12. more than 不仅仅 13. get around 四处走动,四处传开 14. charge money for adimission 收取门票费 15. make a profit 挣钱 16. not just?but also 不仅?而且? 17. sell souvenirs 卖纪念品 18. advertiste them on television 19.have a certain idea 某种特定的思想 20. be based on 以?为基础 21. involve? in?使?参与?(介入) 22. athletic competition 运动竞赛 23. the challenge for?..的挑战 24. along with sneakers 随同运动鞋一起 25. a brand of sports equipment 某种品牌的运动装备 26. come to life 活跃起来 27. go for rides 去玩? 28. have our pictures taken 让人替我们拍照 (have sth done) 29. in the clothing of minority people 穿着少数民族人的服装 30. name ?after?以?命名 31. a place of fantasy 梦幻之地 32. get close to 靠近? be close to 33. the early settlers in America 早期美洲移民 34. marine or ocean parks 还有公园 35.learn about 了解? 36. take an active part in experiments 积极参加实验 37. go on imaginary trips 进行虚拟的太空旅行 38. advanced computer techniques 先进的电脑技术 39. expeirence life 感受生活 40.a careful test 仔细的测试 41. large amounts of money 大量的钱 42. remind him of the holiday 使他想起假日 43.take a journey deep into space 44. be pulled into a Black Hole 被拖进黑洞 45. survive an airplane crash 在坠机事件中幸存 46. in the jungle 在丛林中
47. mysterious creatures 神秘的生物 48. for a break 作为间歇 49. take part in 参加 50. face to face 面对面 51.the present time 当前时间 52.prepare for 为?准备 53.up-to-date information 最新的信息 54.hands-on learning 实践性学习 55.science and technology-based theme parks 以科技为基础的主题公园 56.a good combination of fun and learning 娱乐和学习的良好结合 57.a volunteer guide 志愿导游 58.point out 指出 59.a theme park of your own choice 你自己选择的主题公园 60. change ? into?把?变成?(把?翻译成?)