Module 1 Unit1
attend 出席，参加 earn vt.获得；赚，挣得 respect n.＆vt. 尊敬，敬重 achieve vt.赢得，取得；实现，成就 grade n.学分；成绩；等级 literature n.文学 average adj.一般的，普通的；平均的 challenging adj.具有挑战性的 luncht
ime n.午餐时间 e-mail vt.给……发电子邮件 for free 免费 extra adj.额外的，外加的 cooking n.做饭；烹饪，烹调 prepare vt.＆vi.准备 drop vt.放弃 miss vt.思念，想念 dessert n.(餐合的)甜点 field n. 运动场，操场 experience vt.经历，体验 article n.文章 penfriend n.笔友 introduce vt.介绍 immediately adv.立即，马上 former adj.从前的，以前的 recently adv.最近，近来 culture n.文化 develop vt.培养，养成 photograph n.照片，相片 donate vt.捐赠，捐献；赠予 gift n.赠品，礼物 display vt.陈列，展览 kindness n.善举；好意，善意 guest n.客人，来宾 speech n.演说，演讲，讲话 flat n.套房 attention n.注意，关注 pay attention to 注意 please vt.使满意，取悦 title n.（书的）名称； （文章的）韪目，篇名 dynasty n.朝代，王朝 cover n.（书的）封面；盖子 back cover (书的)封底 recent adj.新近的，最近的 professor n.教授 recent vt.＆vt.遗憾，抱歉；后悔，惋惜 inform vt.通知，告知 run vt.管理，经营 host n.主持人；主人，东道主 approve vt.＆vi.批准，通过；赞成 broadcast vt.＆vi.广播；播放 preparation n.准备，筹备 close adj.亲密的；靠近的
outing n.短途旅行，远足 continue vt.＆vi.继续，持续 poet n.诗人 generation n.一代，一代人
poem n.诗，诗歌 select vt.选择，挑选 require vt.要求 scary n. 自然，大自然
1. at ease with 2. know of sb / sth 3. tell the differences between A and B 4. on (the) average 5. used to do sth 6. be happy with sth/ sb 7. for free 8. such as 9. encourage sb to do sth 10. introduce A to B 11. pass sth on (to) sb 12. be available for 13. far (away) from 14. make sure that 15. graduate from university 16. upon/ on doing 17. surf the internet 18. donate sth to sb 19. forget to do sth 20. inform sb of sth 21. prepare for 22. be responsible for 23. be made up of 24. consist of 25. come up with 26. tell sb about sth 27. sound like 28. word by word 29. drop some subjects 30. play on the school fields 31. e-mail sb 32. talk to sb about sth 33. prepare to do sth 34. thank sb for 35. invite sb to be/do 36. make a speech about 37. run a radio club 38. approve the idea 39. require sb to do st
一．单词应用 根据单词的首字母或汉语意思填写正确单词，注意形式变化。 1. Nobody knows when the project will be completed. Someone has to i_________ the boss of the progress of the work. 2. All students are r____________ to attend school assembly on Monday mornings. 3. -- What is Tom busy doing tonight? -- He is making p______________ for tomorrow examination. 4. There is no student but wants to a___________ high grades. 5. As a young boy, he had to e________ a living because his family was very poor. 6. When we meet, we first s_________ poems that we love, and then read them out loud. 7. He i____________ himself to us. His name was John Smith. 8. He was so generous that he d_________ a lot of money to the flooded area. 9. British people eat lots of d__________ after their main meal. 10. In China, David Holmes d____________ an interest in teaching English to Chinese students. 11. Next month David will make a s___________ about his experiences in China. 12. Please pay more a___________ to spelling next time. 13. I __________ (后悔) not finishing my homework yesterday. 14. Do you ______________(赞成) of what I have done? 15. Our teacher ____________(展开) a map on the table. 16. I suggest he leave ________________(立即). 17. The _______________(平均的) age in our class is 17. 18. Yao Ming has earned _____________(尊敬)from all the world.
二．词形转换 1、achieve vt. _____________ (n.) 2、German n. _____________ (pl.) 3、immediately adv. __________ (adj.) 4、develop vt. _____________ (n.) 5、inform vt. ______________ (n.) 6. preparation n. ___________ (v.) 7. require vt. ______________ (n.) 8. scary adj. _______________ (v.) 9. nature n. _______________ (adj.) 10. please v. _______________ (n.)
三. 句型结构 1.__________________________________（到英国的高中上学）for one year was a very enjoyable and experienced for me. 2. 我认为保护环境的最佳方法是多种树。(the best way to do) I think _________________________________________________________________. 3. 周末去公园野餐听起来像是个不错的主意。(sound like) _______________ in the park at the weekend __________________________________. 4. 暑假他大部分时间都用来上网了。(spend ... doing) He________ most of his summer holiday______________________________. 5. I found the homework waa not as heavy as___________________(我过去的作业量) in my old. 6. 经历了这不同方式的生活我很幸运。(be lucky to do) I _________________________________________ this different way of life. 7. 一完成学业，他就开始在中国旅行。 （每空一词） 1) _________ ___________ his studies, he began traveling in China. 2) _________ ___________ __________ _________ __________ his studies, he began traveling in China. 3) __________ ___________ __________ his studies, he began traveling in China. 4) Hardly ______ ________ _________ his studies _______he began traveling in China. 5) _________ _________ __________ _________ ___________ his studies than he began traveling in China. 8. 很遗憾地告诉你们我们的图书馆要关 3 天。(regret) We ___________________________ that our library will be closed for three days. 9. 我们的俱乐部远远不只是音乐。(more than) Our club __________________________ just music. 10. 每天早上老师公布答案。(read out) Every morning the teacher ___________________________.
四. 语法应用 Task 1 Rewrite each pair of sentences, using the attributive clause.
1. This is the school. I studied in this school five years ago. _______________________________________________________________________. 2. In this school there are about 30 foreign students. The foreign students have come to study the Chinese language. _______________________________________________________________________. 3. These students like the school very much. Their parents have come to China for business. _______________________________________________________________________. 4. The teaching building looks nice. The building was put up last year. _______________________________________________________________________. 5. The man is the headmaster. The man is standing in front of the school library. _______________________________________________________________________. 6. Next to him stands a girl. The girl’s name is Tina. _______________________________________________________________________. 7. Tina likes reading the novels. The novels are written by Charles Dickens. _______________________________________________________________________. 8. The club meet in the school garden every Saturday afternoon. The members of the club are music fans. _______________________________________________________________________. 9. Jack Chan is successful now. Life had once been very hard for him. _______________________________________________________________________. Task 2 Correct the mistakes if any. 1. The girl, her fastest 400 meters was 4 minutes 21.2 seconds, was an Olympic swimmer. 2. The audience gave warm welcome to those basketball stars whose they respected and loved. 3. Children can see much which is wrong in the lives of their parents, so parents have to always behave themselves. 4. The president wants to say something to the public which has not been said before. 5. Playing computer games cost the boy plenty of time he should have spent the time doing his lessons.
1. The most important thing _____ we should consider is the first idea ______ he has mentioned in the speech. A. which; that B. that; which C. which; which D. that; that
2. The exciting day all the American basketball fans looked forward to _______ at last. A. coming B. came C. come D. be coming
3. Jane: Whom would you like to talk with at the end of the lecture? Mary: The lady _________ Miss White. A. called herself B. we call C. being called herself D. is called
4. This is the very plan for the summer holiday _______ will be suggested by his cousin. A. which B. that C. / D. it
5. Do you still remember the name of the factory _______ we visited last month? A. where B. what C. which D. when
6. She is the only one among the women writers ________ comic books for children. A. whom writes B. whom write C. who writes D. who write
7. The mobile phone ________ is made in Korea. A. which I bought it last Saturday C. I bought last Saturday B. I bought it last Saturday D. what I bought last Saturday
8. I’ll never forget the days ________ I stayed in your beautiful country. A. when B. in which C. that D. FOR WHICH
9. September 18,1931 is the day ________ we’ll never forget. A. that B. when C. on which D. on that
10. Is this the shop _______ sells children’s clothing? A. which B. where C. in which D.what
11. The continent _______ I visited last year was not the one ______ I once worked. A. which; where B. which; which C. where; which D. where; where
12. The reason _______ I’m writing to you is to tell you about a party on Saturday. A. because B. why C. for D. as
13. That is the reason _______ he gave us for carrying out the plan. A. because B. why C. when D. which
14. She had two daughters, _______ became doctors.
A. all of them
B. all of whom
C. both of them
D. both of whom
15. The two things _______ they felt very proud were Jim’s gold watch and Della’s hair. A. about which B. of which C. in which D. for which
16. The magazine _______ Betty paid one dollar was very good. A. that B. which C. for which D. to which
17. The old man _______ yesterday is a scientist. A. I spoke B. I spoke to C. whom I spoke D. that I spoke to him
18. The house _______ roof was damaged has now been repaired. A. who’s B. whose C. that D. of which
19. At noon they got to a hill, _______ stood a temple. A. on the top of that C. on the top at which 20. Please put the magazines ________. A. in which they were C. here you were B. where they were D. here it was B. on which the top D. on the top of which
六、Reading strategy We skim a text when we want to get a general idea of what it is about. We look at the titles and headings, the first and last sentences of paragraphs and the first and last paragraphs as well as pictures and charts to guess what the text is about. When we want to find certain information in a text quickly, we scan the text for key words and phrases, dates, numbers, etc. we do not need to read the whole text word by word.
七 课文复述 1、Passage A（Reading） Going to a British high school for one year was a very e_____ and exciting experience for me, on the first day, all students went to a______ assembly, the headmaster told us that the best way to earn r______ from the school was to work hard and a_______ high grades. I found the homework was not as heavy as what I used to get in my old school. But it was a bit c _____for me at first because all the homework was in English , I felt lucky as all my teachers
were very helpful and I enjoyed all my subjects. My English i_______ a lot as I used English everyday and spent an hour every day reading English books in the library. Students at that school have to study Maths, English, and science, but can d______ some subjects, I was very lucky to experience the different way of life and I really hope that someday I can go back and study in Manchester again.
2、Passage B Project We have a radio club in our school, It is r______ by the students for the school, It was started two years ago as CD players were not allowed in school, so I asked the headmaster if music could be played during break time. He a________ the idea , Our club is much m_______ than just music, Every morning we tell students about the weather and recent news plus some special messages that the teachers want us to broadcast. During exam time we have a s_______ programme that tells students the things they should or shouldn’t do for preparation. When parents come to visit the school and talk to the teachers in the evening, we always play songs s______ by students and we also give special message to i_______ the parents of events such as outings and school plays. I’m graduating soon. I shall miss the radio club, but I know that it will c________ without me.
应用文(通知、海报) 奥运火炬将传递到你所在的城市。假如你是学校学生会主席，请你写一篇口头通知，广 播通知全体学生。内容如下： 1. 明早 8 点在操场集合，统一穿校服，整对前往人民广场参加欢迎仪式。 2. 各班做好欢迎准备：男生举彩旗；女生捧鲜花。 3. 在公共场合应表现得体。词数：150 左右
九． 任务型阅读 请认真阅读下面短文，并根据所读内容在文章后表格中的空格里填入最恰当的词。 注意：每空一词。 In a society such as the United states or Canada, which has many national, religious, and
cultural differences, people highly value individualism—the differences among people. Teachers place a lot of importance on the qualities that make each student special. The educational systems in these countries show these values. Students do not memorize information. Instead, they work individually and find answers themselves. There is often discussion in the classroom. At an early age, students learn to form their own ideas and opinions. In most Asian societies, by contrast, the people have the same language, history, and culture. Perhaps for this reason, the educational system in much of the Orient reflects society’s belief in group goals and purposed rather than individualism. Children in China, Japan, and Korea often work together and help one another on assignments. In the classroom, the teaching methods are often very formal. The teacher lectures, and the students listen. There is not much discussion. Instead, the students recite rules or information that they have memorized. There are advantages and disadvantages to both of these systems of education. For example, one advantage to the system in Japan is that students there learn much more math and science than American students learn by the end of high school. They also study more hours each day and more days each year than North Americans do. The system is difficult, but it prepares students for a society that values discipline and self-control. There is, however, a disadvantage. Memorization is an important learning method in Japanese schools, yet many students say that after an exam, they forget much of the information that they have memorized. The advantage of the educational system in North American, on the other hand, is that students learn to think for themselves. The system prepares them for a society that values creative ideas. There is , however, a disadvantage. When students graduate from high school, they haven’t memorized as many basic rules and facts as students in other countries have.. Students in the US and Students in China, Japan and Korean (1)___________ What do they value? (2)___________ working individually Ways of study forming their own ideas memorizing and (4)___________ and opinions (3)__________ goals and purposes listening to the teachers
a lot of discussion in the not much discussion classroom learning Learning themselves (5)________ studying more hours each day and more days each year good for a society that values(9)___________ students memorized disadvantages rules and facts when before(10)_______ many haven’t basic Information is forgotten easily good for a society valuing (8)______ and self-control to think for (7)__________ much by more the math end and of
一．单词 1.inform 2.required 8.donated 14.approve 3.preparations 9.desserts 4. achieve 10.developed 5.earn 6.elect 12.attention
7.introduced 13.regrettted 18.respect
二．词形转换 1.achievement 6.prepare 2.Germans 7.requirement 3.immediate 8.scare 4.development 9.natural 5.information 10.pleasure
三 句型结构 1. Going to a British high school
2. the best way to protect the environment is to plant more trees 3. Going picnicking , sounds like a good idea 4. spent, (in/on) surfing the Internet 5. what I used to get 6. was very lucky to experience 7. Upon/On finishing / Having finished, As soon as he finished, Immediately he finished, had he finished, No sooner had he finished 8. regret to inform you 9. is much more than 10. reads the answers out
四．语法应用 1.her→whose 2.whose →whom 3.which→that 4.which→that 5.去掉 the time
五. 单项选择 1-5 DBBBC 6-10 CCAAA 11-15ABDDB 16-20 CBBDB
七．课文复述 1.enjoyable 2.run attend respect more achieve sung challenging inform improved continue drop
八. Writing Boys and girls, May I have your attention, please? I’m very glad to tell you something important. As we all know, the 29th Olympic Games will be held in Beijing this summer. Luckily, the Olympic torch is about to arrive in our city and we will hold a great welcoming ceremony at the People’s Square tomorrow morning. This is a great event for us and we must try our best to make it a success. So there are some things that we should pay attention to at the ceremony. We are asked to wear our school uniforms and line up on the school playground at 8 o’clock tomorrow morning. Boys will hold colored flags and girls will carry flowers in both hands. Please get well
prepared for the ceremony. As students, we should behave ourselves in public. That’s all. Thank you.
九．任务型阅读 1. Advantages 7. communication 2. quicker 8. testing 3. CD-quality 9. trial 4. updated 10. late 5. easier 6. map